Encore 16: So now the dust has settled...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Magnus' Mate, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just reread some of the posts earlier this year about the "trainwreck" if a reissue that was the Combaticons. Now that those that want it probably have it, can I get some clear feedback on the set? Chiefly these points:

1) Is the mould degradation as pronounced as initially feared? Any comparisons?

2) Are the colour changes made to be more cartoon-friendly really that noticeable?

3) Are ALL Onslaught cannons round the wrong way? Is it easy to change?

4) Can some one confirm Onslaught's gun is shorter than the initial release?

5) Have the limbs' individual weapons been modified to now be held by Bruticus?

6) Any other general comments?

These are starting to drop in price now, so am tempted... I have an original G1 Bruticus but am somewhat of an Encore completist. I won't buy crappola, but I want some more...shall we say, rational comments on Encore 16 than we got in the summer, to see if I should get this.

(Note - being on a budget, I'd probably sell my originals to get this if I was turned in favour of getting it)

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I'll try to answer some of your question (even though I don't have the reissue).

1) there is mold degradation, but how eye-catching it is, is a subjectional matter. Someone else would have to provide you with some indepth photos for you to decide if it's worth the money. I personaly am very satisfied with my RID Ruination quality wise. I owned an original G1 Blast-off and the feel and quality of RID figures were spot on. The main problem with the reissue you're interested in is no so much the mold degradation, but the plastic quality as I hear. It appears Takara/Tomy used a subpar quality plastic. Other's will have to confirm this.

2) there are color differences and as I recall from the pictures they are noticable

3) can't confirm

4) can't confirm

5) the mold for this reissue is the mold used for RID/Car Robots, so individual weapons are able to combine into uberguns, not individualy be used by Bruticus.

6) Depending on the state of your vintage Bruticus, I would say hold onto him if it is in a really fine shape. If it is somewhat loose and beat-up, with scratched, scuffs and whatnot, if I were you, I would try to restore it first, get some repro labels, disassemble the figures to tighten the joints, get the grime and dust off, and after that take a look at how he looks. You might want to keep him, considering the love and care you put into him to fix him up.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    from the comparisons I've seen (tfw has a gallery somewhere), it's worse than most expected. I expected it to have the same level of degradation the urban camo set has, but it's much worse. mostly when it comes to onslaught and vortex.

4. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

I'll answer the points that I'm able to answer. I can't really comment on the degradation because the only surviving member of my original G1 Combaticons is Brawl, and while the edges are slightly less sharp on the Encore, it's only noticeable if you look very closely. I noticed the lack of definition mostly on the Encore Vortex and the front of Onslaughts truck cab (where there is some mould flash also). But since I don't have the originals to compare, I don't know how bad it is.

2) Are the colour changes made to be more cartoon-friendly really that noticeable?

No, it's barely noticeable. In fact, I think any colour differences might be simply a result of different plastic used, instead of a cartoon accuracy thing. On the early images of the Encore Combaticons, Swindle looked like he was going to be a cartoon style light mustard colour, but in hand he's a richer tan colour, like the original toy. The one very noticeable colour change is the Bruticus chest plate, head, hands and feet are cast in a much less metallic plastic. It's more grey than silver.

4) Can some one confirm Onslaught's gun is shorter than the initial release?

Yes, the Encore rifle for Onslaught is significantly shorter than the original. For some reason I've still got my old Onslaught's rifle, even though I don't have the figure anymore.

6) Any other general comments?

The shoulders joints on the new Onslaught were really loose. They hold a position fine, in individual or combined mode, but the slightest touch will move the arms. I don't know whether this is widespread though.

5. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I would highly recommend keeping your vintage Bruticus even if you decide to get the Encore release. Vintage figures are usually worth more in the long run than reissues. Plus the Encore set uses retooled parts so it won't devalue your vintage figure as much as if it were an exact duplicate.

As to your other questions, I don't have the Encore set but I am happy with my vintage G1 Bruticus.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nah, its not that bad. Comparisons.... NOT as bad as the Classics seeker mold

The vintage figures were darker, so yeah its noticeable
    I never switched mine but i'm sure you can unscrew and switch

I think thats a given, this mold is more RID Ruination then G1 Bruticus.

Yes but not as well as Ruination. On Onslaughts gun, hard to stick weapons on the side. The Swindle, Brawl weapon looks great however

Here are some photos of mine. I don't know what condition your G1 Bruticus is in but if I had to do it over again... I would buy it still. You can probably sell your vintage for a good chunk of change and buy this reissue for dirt cheap since everyone hates it. Honestly, it just isn't that bad.

Blastoff, Vortex and Brawl look fine. Onslaught and Swindle have problems, as you can tell from these photos.

EDIT: oh yeah, Onslaught has a launcher on his back to launch vehicles off his ramp in base mode

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    your photos of onslaught prove that it is "that bad", and much worse than the classic seeker mold that you compared it too, which still has the proper shape and defined details, unlike onslaught's cab section.

8. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

I don't understand the hate for the Bruticus reissue. I picked up the Encore Bruticus and mine is fine. I don't recall any really loose parts on mine. I also don't recall any truly serious mold degradation on mine either. The various weapons don't stay together perfectly on mine so there might be some mold degradation in the weapons. Unfortunately I don't have a vintage one to compare to so I would have no idea about the length difference with Onslaught's gun. And I can't testify to the color difference between the reissue vs. the original. But I can say that since I can't afford a vintage one in top shape the Encore release was a no brainer for me.

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really? The last Classics Seeker Starscream I got couldn't even hold its launchers arm launchers and the wings wouldn't stay up straight.

However, its just our opinions. Good luck on your choice man! Again, this is just my Bruticus, If you search for that old thread you will see others that don't look as bad as mine.

Oh and I switched my Onslaught Launcher in 3 minutes.