Encore 10 Minibots Video Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Reviews' started by blurrprime, Jul 28, 2008.

1. blurrprime

blurrprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. wipedout

wipedout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got mine today. They look great with my Encore Omega Supreme and Optimus.

3. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Got mine today as well.
    First thing: Bumblebee is a HUGE upgrade from the Takara Collection #12 version from a few years back. Far more paint apps, including a nice painted-on autobot symbol, headlights, tail-lights, and bumpers. I have both and this one is easily leagues better.

The upgrades on the other minibots are great as well. Outback has painted eyes now.
    Takara is giving the fans great little subtle upgrades that really make these old G1 characters better, at least IMO.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shucks! Looks like I will be picking this set up, especially because of the improvements on the Bee!

5. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where are all the pictures? I should have these guys by next week I hope I will post some pictures then.

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These guys are really great. I love the new paint apps and tampo logos on them. This is like the definitive G1 version of Bumblebee to own. All the joints on mine are tight, no paint slop, and just all around a very nice reissue of Bumblebee, Pipes, Tailgate, Swerve and Outback.

7. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

My Bumblebee's joints are extra tight and the plastic quality is better than the keychain versions out there.

This was a great idea for an Encore release, but I wish they would have thrown in Hubcap.

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Got this in the mail today as I wasint about to let a second set of minibots get by me unlike the booksyle set. Needless to say this set rocks pretty hard though I have to say I actually like the original BB head better but this is still pretty nice with the show accuracy.

9. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Very nice new redecos.

10. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are ok mine have some loose joints other than that they are minibots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My GalleryTFW Gallery HERE

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting pixs, dude! I was curious on the improvements made - especially for Bumblebee! I see there's touch-ups to Swerve also!

12. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm glad I purchased the Encore minibots after seeing your picks Trailbreaker. The minor touch-ups look great. I have them in my pile o' loot at BBTS and I probably won't get them shipped to me until my Metroplex preorder is filled. I can't wait :D 

13. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    all excellent and solid except pipes, his right leg wont stay clicked out in robot mode, it will not hold at all, screwdriver needed!! BB is especially nice, rubber tyres and very solid and he has the metal base!

edit, looks like the leg halves are glued on pipes so no fix there!! oh well.

14. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    fix for pipes leg QC

i managed to fix pipes loose leg in robot mode.

by playing with the lower leg against the white thigh i noticed there seemed to be a tiny lack of needed friction between the inside of the thigh and the actuall inner part of the inside of the lower leg.

anyway i thought 'superglue'. A tiny drop on the inside of the thigh and the ubiquitous 'move up and down so it doesnt set' has provided the friction so needed. now his lower leg hold perfactly and he can stand!!

15. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Robot Mode: Outback is based on Brawn, though he's more than a simple repaint. His face, chest, and hands have been remolded, making him an almost completely different figure. His face is actually a pretty close match to the one he wore in the cartoon and comics. He has more than simple claws as hands, the fists are nicely sculpted. His posability is, of course, not improved over Brawn, meaning it's pretty low. He can move his arms at the shoulders and the legs at the hips. The latter poses problems, though, as he has pretty small feet and isn't the most stable Minibot ever. Still, as far as looks go, Outback does pretty well in his size class. One of the better Minibot robot modes.

Alternate Mode: Like Brawn Outback transforms into a 4x4 jeep, though he's tan instead of green. And this is also where Outback differs from all the other Generation 1 Minibots: He carries a gun. Okay, he can only use it in vehicle mode, as there's nowhere he can hold or put it in robot mode, but still: A Minibot with a gun. That's something only Outback can boast. The vehicle mode itself looks pretty good considering his size and it's armed, people! Armed. Making it one of the more exciting Minibot alternate modes out there.

Remarks: Outback didn't exactly play a big role in G1, but he does have the distinction of being voiced by Dan Gilevan, the same guy who did Bumblebee. In the G1 cartoon he only ever appeared once to sniff out Decepticons in the five-part-episode "Five Faces of Darkness" and in the Marvel UK Comics he helped Optimus Prime survive on Cybertron when a Decepticon plot had him hunted by his own people. But that's pretty much it. Oh, and he spoke with a thick Australian accent.

The toy is a rather extensive remold of the Brawn figure and looks pretty good. This Encore version of Outback here is pretty much identical to the original from 1986 except for the blue colour on his visor. I probably wouldn't have bought Outback on his own, but as part of the Encore Minibot package he's a nice addition to my collection. And he was voiced by Dan Gilvezan, which helps a lot. So I can mildly recommend Outback to all G1 fans.

Rating: C+

16. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    bought my set together with the keychain version (w/ the old bb head). i like the bb that came with the 5-pack a lot better than the keychain, which only has an autobot sticker, while the other one has a tampo.

[​IMG]

17. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pictures, click on the image above

Remarks: Swerve here is a repaint (with an extensively remolded torso) of the 1984 Minibot Gears, so look there for the full review. Just a few words on the differences here. Like most of the 1986 Minibots (except Wheelie) Swerve here was sculpted using an existing mold, but underwent some radical changes. They’re not visible in vehicle mode, where the only differences are color. But in robot mode there is quite a bit that is different.

Where Gears had a rather plain chest and a head that consisted of little more than a blue visor, Swerve not only has a far more detailed chest, he also features a fully sculpted head and face. Now the original 1986 Swerve was content with painting this entire nicely sculpted face red and leaving it at that, but the Encore version here went one step further and used different colors to bring out the details a lot better. To put it bluntly, Swerve has an absolutely gorgeous face.

Not much more I can say here. He’s a Minibot from the early years, meaning his posability is pretty restricted and his play value consists of transforming him from a blocky robot into a blocky car in a single step (fold in the legs and you’re done). In the cartoon series Swerve only ever appeared in the background, being one of the Autobots who tried to stop Trypticon in “Five Faces of Darkness”. He got stomped into the dirt for his efforts. The name Swerve has since been inseparably bound to the obligatory red repaint, the only exception being Chevy Swerve. What this original Swerve is, though, is a decent G1 Minibot, and an excellent example of how a repaint can improve upon the original, thanks to a much better eye for detail.

Rating: B

18. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Robot Mode: This figure here is, of course, a reissue of the original 1984 Bumblebee Minibot with one major change. The original figure had a head that bore little resemblance to the noggin’ of Bumblebee as we saw him on the TV screen back then. He had a visor and a mouth guard instead. Sunbow apparently thought the kid-relatable character needed a real face, though, thus Bumblebee’s best-known face was born. And the Encore release ditches the original figure’s head for one sculpted to look pretty much exactly like the cartoon version.

The rest remains mostly unchanged, of course. Bumblebee is still a small, only moderately poseable guy (he can swivel his arms and move his toes, which is about average for a G1 figure), who pretty faithfully resembles the cartoon character kids fell in love with in the 80s. He carries no weapon, he has no further gimmicks (remember: transforming into a car WAS the gimmick back then), and he is just utterly adorable, though admittedly my view may be somewhat colored by nostalgia here. Thumbs up for the robot mode.

Alternate Mode: Newer Transformers fans might be a bit confused here, but Bumblebee didn’t transform into a sleek Camaro sports car with black racing stripes back in the day. Instead he became a Volkswagen Beetle, a car you don’t see much of on the roads anymore, but which was THE best-selling car in the world (over 21.5 million sold) for a long time until it was overtaken by another Volkswagen model (the Golf, now at about 30 million) in 2002.

The transformation is pretty simple and the resulting car isn’t exactly the most realistic-looking miniature car in the world, but it wasn’t really supposed to be. It’s a penny-racer type toy and it looks good. Several paint applications here, such as the head- and taillights, weren’t part of the original 1984 package, making this a somewhat improved version. Bottom line: it’s a tiny little Volkswagen Beetle, looking nice and with no trace of the robot mode. Exactly as it should be.

Remarks: It’s somewhat hard to believe these days, but originally Bumblebee wasn’t a big bot of action, but rather the Autobots’ resident damsel-in-distress, always landing himself in trouble (mostly due to his friendship with Spike Witwicky). Still, he was the original kid-relatable Autobot back in the day and many 80s kids remember him with great fondness. Then came his radio-speaking, spine-ripping, Autobot-leading days, but that’s another topic entirely.

This here is the original Bumblebee toy, slightly improved from his original 1984 release and with a more cartoon-accurate head. I love the little guy. Encore Bumblebee (or just Bumble, actually, as he was called in Japan) came in a multi-pack with quite a few other reissued G1 Minibots, but all of them were well worth it for the G1 lover. Worlds may live, worlds may die, but Bumblebee is eternal.

Rating: B

Source: Transformers-Universe.com