Customs: Enamel over Acrylic?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by catch22, Oct 6, 2007.

1. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've been using Testors Gloss Red to paint my Alt Ironhide, but I'm not really impressed with the finish. I sanded it with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper today and used some rubbing compound on it, and while it's incredibly smooth, it's not particularly shiny or reflective.

I can't even find any more Testors Acrylic; my Walmart has run out and they aren't going to be restocking their hobby supplies, and my local hobby shop doesn't carry it. The owner actually told me he did carry it for a while and his customers weren't particularly fond of it.

So now I'm looking to use enamels, but I'm not sure if Testor's enamels play nice on top of Testors acrylic. Any info would be much appreciated

By the way, here are two pics I took of the hood. They aren't perfect representation of the real life thing, but I guess they show how it looks more or less

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

To me it gives off of a plastic look, but anyways I found out ppl here use Acrylics over Enamels, but thats what I've heard. If you want to use something else well thats up to you. But I think Acrylics are best to my knowledge, that I know of.

3. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I prefer enamels. I really don't get along with working with acrylics. I never get it to harden proberly.

4. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    As long as you have good coverage and it's smooth, which you said it is. Try using a gloss coat. I know Testors makes one, and there's some others out there that do as well. From the pics, it look like a great paint job, just not glossy. I know lots of folks use the dull coat on their bot modes, so why not do a gloss coat on your alt mode. Looks like it's coming along nicely.

5. pasiondesigns

pasiondesigns Well-Known Member

for big projects arylics are great for me ...... paint then clear coat always works for me .... enamels are great but not for big issues i always found the paint to tacky. But i use enamels for small details here and there

6. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

if its in a sanded state and all a uniform color, get some fine cut rubbing compound, a rag, some water then go to town. Afterwards, get some liquid car wax, then it will make it shine like mad.

But make sure you don't go overboard with the rubbing compound because it is basically super fine (liquid) sandpaper which will make some paint smudge off (onto the rag)

but, I've tried enamel over acrylic before and nothing bad happened so, if you really want to try that then go ahead.