Employment Woes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GogDog, Oct 24, 2006.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I am a PC tech for a cable company. Basically, I do house calls all day to people who have interent access through us and have trouble getting online. It's actually a pretty good job. I work by myself, no one breathing down my back. I get to work on PCs all day, and the variety is enough to not let it get boring. Only one complaint, and its a biggy:

Our Customer Service department is filled with almost 100% morons.

Nearly half of the jobs I get should not have been fielded to a tech in the first place. I troubleshoot interent access, not repair computers, yet I will get calls to homes that have computers that do not even turn on. There are a certain amout of troubleshooting steps that our reps are supposed to take the customer through before sending a tech. Do you know how many of those steps were used for a customer that does not even have a PC that will turn on? That's right: ZERO. Our appointments are scheduled by time slot, yet we will have reps schedule calls for a 3:00 - 6:00 timeslot (which means that we gaurentee we will show up between those times), with comments on the work order to come after 5:00. I GET OFF AT 5:00! So it results in an instant cancelation of the call becasue the customer wasn't home. Not to mention it's against "policy" to put those comments on the work order to begin with. the bad part is, is we, the tech, have to be the one to explain to the customer why the info they got from the phone rep was not true, and apologize for them waiting 3 hours for a call that should not have been scheduled in the first place. I'm not even cracking the tip of the iceberg here. Everyday it's the same thing. And no matter how much we complain, it doesn't matter.

Sorry for the rant. It is just really depressing to see such a promising company begin a decent to obvlivion. I'm glad i decied to finish my degree. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, you aren't the only one. I'm an auditor of a company and as such, my job is 60-70% terrible most of the time...because I'm getting paid to find faults with the company. For me, its like between the devil and the deep blue sea - find faults and your fellow workmates from the other departments hate you. Don't find faults, my employers say I'm not working. Sigh.

3. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Just hold onto that feeling that you'll be out of there one day and it's only a temp thing.

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Dude, I work at a 24 x 7 world wide helpdesk. 97% of calls I get all day long are all morons. Not too much you can do about it, but that's why I'm getting paid; to help morons understand their computers so they can do their job better. There will always be morons no matter where you work

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I get beat up by retards for a living. Trade?

6. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Could always be worse. My last job was "customer service" for priceline.com. It was awful. Almost everything on their is "no change, no cancel, no transfer, no refund." So almost everyone that calls gets told "no" and starts screaming and threatening you. I worked there for two years before I couldn't take anymore and quit.

Of course, now I can't find work, 'cause nobody wants to hire someone who's mentally ill, degree or not.

*sigh*

Sorry you're having trouble at work. I feel for you.