Empire Online Australia Movie Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Khelben, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Khelben

Khelben I like stuff. TFW2005 Supporter

Empire Online Australia has posed their review of the movie, giving it 3 out of 5 stars (Good).
    HTML:
    http://www.empireonline.com.au/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=11052

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Well, not exactly beaming, but he doesn't trash it either.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hahaha, his main complaint is that the Autobots talk - he prefers the silent Bumblebee and Decepticons. Haha, what a noob.

4. Khelben

My sentiments exactly.

Fortunately this review is far more favourable:
    HTML:
    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=84174

5. Lateralus

Lateralus Well-Known Member

What's that about Unicron you say?

6. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Ouch. Guess that's why there was push from the studio to not have them talk...for guys like him. You'd think Empire magazine, a magazine dominated by nerdflicks like Star Wars and comicbook-based films would be staffed by people more open to talking alien characters.

7. JazzimusPrime

JazzimusPrime Member

I've seen the movie and what that reviewer says there is totally untrue. In the cinema there were around 500 people of different ages 12-40+ and everyone was laughing at what the autobots were saying and enjoying their characteristics, there were even random applauses for some of the lines. That guy is clearly some anti-Bay, anti-non G1 fan or not a fan at all.

8. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

:lolol 

9. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

That's a nice bit right there.

10. ganymede2010

ganymede2010 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That guy was a tool. He appeared to concentrate on all the negatives. 3 out of 5 my ass.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    T2 = starship troopers?!! o_O 

12. Khelben

For the non Aussies I just watched the review of the movie on 'At the Movies' - a half hour movie review show on our ABC network hosted by two long standing film critics.

Margaret had a lot of great things to say about the movie and said she really enjoyed it. She spoke very highly of the human acting and said that the Transformers had a great deal of personality - more so then a lot of actors she's seen lately. Her only real complaint was that the action was too fast paced. She gave it 3.5 out of 5.

While David said he didn't enjoy it as much as Margaret (his comments gave me the impression that he is definitely not a Michael Bay fan) he also gave it 3.5 out of 5.

13. redsquadron

Y'know, I do respect that Empire review, but it does fit in with the exact template that I knew this film would get.
    Film critics will, by their very nature, be resisitant to a "Michael Bay movie based on toys", yet they still grudingly admit to the film being enjoyable. No way on earth will an official critic rate this movie as a "must see", so I'm even bouyed by those filled wth caveats.

14. Khelben

It's interesting how the score of 3 out of 5 doesn't seem to equate with the remarks. Reading the interview I would have expected something more around a 2.

15. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Nonsense.

'That guy' is simply not as obsessed by the Transformers universe as most people on these boards. Empire may be staffed by people with more than a little geek in them, but they also have enough savvy to be objective.

The reviewer has enough critical faculty to judge the flick relative to other films of this type and Bays previous efforts and style in general. He's mostly critical of things we all expected to be poor - over exposition, cliche characters, daft movie dialogue ("BRING IT!") and something that concerns me, which is the 'camera-cuts-so-damn-quick-I-can't-tell-what's-happening' style of action in the latter half of the film.

None of this seems to be terribly negative - he seems to have enjoyed it - he merely points out weaknesses that any regular movie fan may notice.

16. sarpedon2

sarpedon2 Active Member

Your probably thinking of the UK version which is full of Sci-Fi loving people.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, I more or less expected this type of rating...one critic in my country actually gave it 2/5 stars...but then again, the reviewer has admited no knowledge of TFs...I guess its hard for a movie critic to give any a positive review on a movie based on a toy-line but heck, as long as the effects are good and the action hot, I think TF will do well at the box-office...after all, that's all that we want, yesss? :D 

18. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Ahh, I thought the UK Empire magazine was the only Empire magazine. My mistake.

19. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

Just got the UK empire today, even though the front cover has the bourne ultimatum on the front, transformers is quite prolific throughout.

they've given it 4 out of 5 stars in the review (excellent), and said:

"the script may have rubbery legs, but the action is rock hard. the surprise is the lightness of touch: treat as a comedy for best reasults.

sounds like they enjoyed it according to the review. they also have an article in the magazine about it. I'm really looking forward to it now nearly allt he reviews bar one have said it is either good or excellent!

20. redsquadron

4 out of 5 in the UK EMPIRE? That really does surprise me! I was actually expecting the more 'serious' film mags to trash it. Neat!
    My newsagents still had last months Star Wars special - I'll have to keep my eyes open for the new one.