Empire at War (Retail)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Vialli, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    And you know, having played through a whole chunk of the game now, I'm enjoying it even more.

As to the point about diplomacy, it's called "Empire at War", not "Empire Has A Casual Chat About Legality Of Torture And Personal Freedoms", and there wasn't a lot of diplomacy present in the SW movies, anyway, not except before the Clone Wars and until after Endor... and that's only in the books.

The one thing that is striking me, is that more and more it seems like the game screens I was mocking up nearly two years ago... which I was doing before I even heard about the game. The way it plays is similar, too... and placement of things in the HUD... hehehe, I like that ^^ My design document just had more detail in it, more systems for ships, more orders... but god, they look similar... right down to the hologram of Vader in the corner giving you your orders ;)  I've played this game giggling. Also like the Mt Tantiss complex on Weyland, and the other little nods to books and movies I've seen about the place.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I can safely say now that I won't be touching this game again after i've finished the Empire campaign, assuming I can even be bothered to do that.

Roll on Supreme Commander.

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Not entirely true. Diplomacy has been a huge part of the SW Mythos. Hell, Episode IV opened with a whole diplomatic situation. Attacking a Senator, the disolvement of the Imperial Senate, etc.

It's the thing that would have really added to this game. Send some diplomats to sway a planet to joining your cause in the War against the Rebels/Empire. Don't you think local politics would be a huge part of these planets in the War?

I'm just saying it's a huge part of the mythos, and would have added some depth and maybe some replay value to this game.

It's a game I've been waiting a year for, and I've been hugely disappointed in it.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm glad I didn't buy it. This game sounds like crap from what I've read. I don't like simplistic games, even if it's really pretty.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not to mention that the lack of any popular support system strips out other chunks of potential gameplay in addition to diplomacy. Civil unrest and uprisings (and the incitement of), reprocussions of destroying non-combatant structures, gaining infuence througth sucessful use of military power, increased smuggler activity, reciving intellegence on planets held only by military force, backlash against use of the Death Star etc...