Minor/Repaint: Emo Nemesis Prime also gets a dye job!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ShadowStitch, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Like many of my projects, I've been sitting on this one for a while now because frankly, I'm too lazy to take photos.

Basically, all I did here was:

1) Removed the green parts of SDCC Nemesis Prime and dyed them black using RIT + Acetone on low heat.

2) Repainted any parts that became unpainted by the dyeing process, using a mix of silver with transparent blue and green, which appromixates the factory color quite nicely.

3) Spray painted the grey parts using Tamiya aircraft silver AS-12.

4) Added transparent red paint Tamiya to the inside of all the windows.

[att]17751[/att]

[att]17757[/att]

It's not perfect, because there are certain places where the connectors are still noticeably blue, and the transparent windshield bits on his arms are still visibly blue for the most part, but at least the windows are red in truck mode. I painted them from the back, so there's no visible paint on the outside of the glass, and thankfully they are a light enough blue that they don't come off as purple. I would have dyed them, but of course transparent plastic is too dense to dye -- it just shrugs the color right off.

Sure, it's not nearly as nice as the real black prototypes with red windows which were floating around a while back, but seeing as how I'll never get my hands on one of those, I figure this is the next best thing.

After dyeing plastic, it can sometimes look blanched, leached, like the plastic has lost its glossy sheen. For that, a quick touch with some armor-all (or an armor-all wipe) and the sheen is restored. It looks like factory-black plastic again.

[att]17759[/att]

[att]17756[/att]

I actually made two of them, one with silver painted legs and one without, because I wasn't sure which one I would like better in the end. I'm thinking of selling the one without the painted legs now... :lol 

[att]17758[/att]

[att]17760[/att]

That's pretty much it -- simple and stupid. I've had them finished for some time, just never posted them.

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    that turned out really well. May I suggest you sand and paint the hinge parts that show the original clear blue?

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Looks good, I like the silver over the gray, but the gray may be the better choice for 'ol Nemy P.:thumbs2: 

4. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    That's what I'm hoping we get from Takara!!

Awesome!! (Depending on how much, I might want the "non-silver" one...)

:thumb 

5. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I suppose I could, but the problem lies in the fact that I hate paint. I don't like having any parts that can possibly rub off and destroy the illusion that the figure was ever anything except for what it appears. I have, at points, even gone so far as to completely recast parts in different colored plastic to avoid having to paint them.

Combine the natural propensity for painted joints to wear off, with the dense plastic that refuses to accept coloration without a fight, and you've got a situation that annoys me and is probably a lot more effort than it's worth. Besides, unless you're REALLY looking, you don't even notice the tiny bit of blue on his legs. I'm okay with it, myself.

This was just supposed to be a quick, simple project to alleviate some of the glaring design errors on the part of Hasbro's toy designers. I AM tempted to paint the blue parts on the underside of his arm window kibble though -- that part definitely bugs me.

6. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    great repaint man. he looks real good.

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    well I understand. I hate wear too, and I've worked this mold as well. I painted those parts, and if you sand properly, there will never be any wear there. :) 

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looks quite nice :D  I'm totally cool with him as is out of the box but you really did a nice job updating it a bit.