emission testing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    does anyone know about this stuff? my wifes car didnt pass, and after taking it to firestone and having them run diagnostics on it all day, and take it back to an emissions place twice, it keeps coming up with some error in the computer...i've got no clue about this at all...anything might help me...thanks

2. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Get the codes read from your car's OBDII at an Autozone. They do it for free.

Heck while youre there, buy the part you need to pass. Probly an oxygen sensor failure. There are sometimes 2 - 6 o2 sensors on a vehicle's exhaust pipes. 1 or 2 usually before the catalytic converter and another 1 or 2 after the cat. depending on your vehicle.

However the codes read from Autozone will point to the fault you need to replace to pass. It may not be an 02 sensor. But you really do need to get the code thats failing you. Although you problem may not be an o2 sensor, but those usually come up in emissions testing as failure.

Is your check engine light on?

In the parking lot of emissions place, pull your fuses to reset the computer on your vehicle and make the light go out, maybe you'll pass cause no code will come up.

Search your vehicle model on the internet, and figure out what fuses you need to pull to reset the computer to pass. Its temporary.

If it turns out to be an 02 sensor, they also have whats called "mileliminators" basically a wire you plug in to the 02 port, or splice in to make the computer basically not see it to throw a code to make the check engine light come on.

If you can't figure out what fuses to yank, take your battery terminals off for about 30 mins. to 5 hours, step on your brake pedal to drain the residual power out of the system. Reconnect battery.

Autozone's OBD scanner can reset the codes too, have them reset the codes before you go test, you might make it to emissions place before it comes on LOL. as well, or buy a cheap OBD scanner yourself. They come in handy.

Point: get codes read. research your vehicle. fix your issue. stay away from the dealer.

3. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Could be the oxygen sensor.

The emissions test is gone in my area. :D 

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    thanks guys...i'll have to figure out if i can figure that stuff out...i'll probably have time this weekend to dig around and figure that stuff out...