Emetophobia?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by optimegatron, Jan 27, 2012.

1. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    Hello guys, first time I'm bored enough to discuss this:
    Emetophobia- Fear of vomit/ Fear of vomiting.
    It's basically my little secret that I've got this disorder. Now, what I want you to do is tell me if you know someone, or you yourself, are in this condition. After a year, I learned it is hard to live your everyday life, but I manage, probably because I'm used to it. I do not suffer from anorexia or any other eating disorder, but losing about 5 kg or 12 Ibs is really getting to my nerves. I've been in the hospital twice, when it first started, and about a month later. They just said I suffered from a traumatic experience (which is true) and that I should folow a diet that includes lots of fat. I just ignored them and ate nearly nothing everyday until now.
    I can't eat outside, and when I'm in my house, I only eat very light foods.
    More information can be found on:
    Emetophobia on 'This Morning' - YouTube
    Emetophobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If you know someone with this problem, or ave it yourself, share something with me...

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If you're losing weight at that rate and have been in the hospital twice, it is definitely time for you to seek professional help (if you aren't already). That you've been given medical advice and admit ignoring it is also troubling.

This is a serious condition, and you admit that it is putting stress on your life and your health. It is unlikely to get better unless you actively do something about it, and (IMO) your best bet is for a professional to help you come to terms with the experience that may be at the root of this.

3. optimegatron

News Credits:
    Yeah, I am in proffesional help man. Saying it helps- That's not the full truth but can't also say it doesn't. Funny enough, everytime I get it into my mind I think about how my life is crap, but the truth is, it also allowed me to find out more about myself and those who surround me...

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Sounds like you're already taking steps then, which is fantastic. Things like this are never easy to overcome, but you're trying, you're seeking out help, and kudos on that, seriously. It is a massive credit to you that you've been able to face this and take action to improve the situation. It's almost certainly going to be a long process, there's going to be pitfalls along the way, but it'll be worth it in the end.

All you can do now is to be honest with your caregivers and yourself, to commit to their reccomendations and do your best to follow through, and rely on your support network when you have to. If it helps you, ask a lot of questions as to why they make the suggestions they do (such as the high-fat diet), which may help you to internalize why you need to commit to them and help keep you from ignoring things.

I offer you the best of luck with this, I really do, and I wish I could offer more specific and useful help than I have. Remember that you CAN do this.

5. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought I had this phobia pretty bad, but I hadn't known about the social issues it can lead to. It is definitely my worst phobia, and I do have the issues with young children that Wikipedia mentions (one reason I don't want to have kids when I'm older is that it seems like some kids randomly throw up all the time), but at least I'm not quite so paranoid about my food. I hope you're able to get over it. Good luck.

6. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I definitely don't like vomiting but I don't think the way I view it is as bad as you have it. Ever since I caught an illness back when I was really young, I have been afraid of vomiting ever since. I had a bug that whenever/whatever I swallowed it would come right back up. The illness was bad that I went to the hospital.

Naturally, I have been afraid of that exact same thing coming back.
    But it hasn’t so I guess that's good. I also have cats and cats vomit...alot so I have gotten use to seeing it and throwing it away. But I'm still afraid of catching that horrible bug again.

7. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, I don't fear vomit nor do I like to see vomit.

It sounds like you have a fear of eating because you don't want to be over weight.

Whenever you get a chance ask yourself why are you so guilty eating that you have to vomit to get it out of yourself?

8. optimegatron

News Credits:
    Thanks a lot for your wonderful posts responding to this thread. I appreciate it. So damn ice to see there are some people with the same, or slightly different experiences than me, and I wish YOU too, to overcome it!

Um, well to be honest, no matter HOW DAMN MUCH I ate, my weight was almost NEVER CHANGED. Anyway, I never had any problem with gaining weight, either. And ironically, it's basicly my personal goal today.
    You are all very nice, and don't be afraid to keep posting about more specific encounters with the phobia, like Barricade did.
    Thank you.

9. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish you luck.

10. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I fear vomiting cab't do it (although because of my disease making me sick I did this morning) but I do everything possible not to and even cry
    As for fear of vomit yes this too if i see it or smell it I will do it
    It's the reason I am no longer a paramedic