Elite Guard - Not So Elite (Poss Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Prime's Pappa, May 25, 2008.

1. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

After watching SS escape with barely any effort it once again shows the Elite Guard as just a bunch of bafoons. UM is just as bad a leader in ATF as he was in G1. I think SS should have just taken over the ship and put the EG offline as the 3 of them would have been toast after SS was done. Anyone disagree???

2. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    I dont think they know that he's not a reg. transformer anymore.

3. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

TFA Starscream is the second-best Decepticon Warrior there is (so far known to us). Escaping from the Elite Guard shouldn't be that much of a problem, especially considering that a part of the Allspark (read: Cybertronian divine energy thingy) is directly empowering him, giving him for example immortality.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the main issue here is that it was established the stasis cuffs don't completely immobilize Starscream, when they normally paralyze any Cybertronian. The Elite Guard (for better or worse) assumed the cuffs would work as advertised, and therefore didn't keep him under guard. All Starscream needed was a few seconds to bust out.

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    With nary a Decepticon to be seen for a really really really long time, a group like the Elite Guard would pretty much be doing nothing but general peacekeeping, like arresting graffiti artists, or handing out loitering tickets. When the time comes that they have to actually do something, most of them don't even know what a Decepticon is, let alone how to deal with one.

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    did you see how quick it was of a breakout?? no time to react at all, thats all.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, three things really:

1) Starscream's extremely powerful. He's no match for the firepower on Megatron, but his Allspark fragment gives him unique abilities. Cuffs really don't work on him or his clones. And all it took was one second's lapse in concentration for him to get loose.
    2) Ultra Magnus still doesn't see the Decepticons as a threat, I think. He didn't think they would ever dare return in the pilot. He assumed there were none on Earth for a long while. He probably still doesn't appreciate just how dangerous even a single Decepticon is right now.
    3) I think the Elite Guard are only the best of what's available. The Autobots were never war-oriented, and without an actual enemy threat, many potential candidates for the Elite Guard are probably doing other things. As you'll see in a couple of weeks, the standards for joining the Elite aren't all that high in the first place.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    You'd think getting blasted by Starscream in 'Mission Accomplished' would've opened his optics...

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Starscream can't die. It's pretty hard to beat someone who can't die, be injured and has built up an imunity to the most advanced form of detainment you have.

Seriously, I just think eons of sitting on their buts keepin' peice has made 'em rusty. Add to that they already stated that they won the war barely with the development of the Spacebridges.

10. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's obvious they're heavily unprepared and yet the earth crew has managed to get by...

11. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Well for one the earth crew isn't as arrogant. Also you could argue that the earth autobots are using more of a guerrilla warfare type deal. They are forced to think on the spot where I think the elite guard are relying on training.

12. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ohh by the book vs improv. Now I'm imagining Ultra Magnus filling out paperwork.

Maybe that's a future moral for an ep.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's because rounding up a bunch of defects actually turned out to be the most durable and resourceful group of misfit badasses ever.

14. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well said. These five remind me of the A-team a little. Or the 5 guys on that show called the Unit that used to air on CBS. You would think Magnus would want them to join the Elite Guard. They've earned it.

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Y'know, now that you mention the A-Team, I have this odd notion that Blitzwing and Lugnut give off a very Murdock and B.A. vibe...

16. Longhaul53

Longhaul53 Guest

I think you're onto something here. Optimus' team didn't make the cut for a regimented, bureaucratic lot like the Elite Guard. They are all, in their own ways, substandard to the Status Quo on Cybertron. But in terms of teamwork, creativity, and gumption... this team has an abundance.

Optimus' guys are the underdogs - like the Nerds in "Revenge of the Nerds", or like Gary and Wyatt in "Weird Science". All of the stories are geared towards them being at a distinct disadvantage, and the writers use these misfits to weave compelling stories and add character development little by little.

But if every good-guy in the story was the same sort of underdog, the stories wouldn't work as well. The writers clearly intended there to be different categories of good guys, and they use this rather creatively to starkly highlight the differences between them.

The Elite Guard are a bit different than Optimus' team. The way i look at the elite guard is this - they are the A Group in high school and are at the top of the social food chain. Most of us having gone, or going thru High School can relate to this. Even though the Elite Guard are the 'cool guys' and each has this aura of awesomeness, it's really just a thin veil disguising that they really are normal 'people' and have normal 'people' hangups and/or disfunctions.

Ultra Magnus is the Class President. He is one of the few remaining bots from the time of the Great Wars and has been there to deal with all of the Bureaucracy, Rules and Regulations, Clean up and Deterrency since that time - He's had to be a Leader Figure Before, During, and After the wars - and he's got a hard time doing anything differently than by the book. I'm assuming it was him, in conjunction with other leaders on Cybertron, that helped write the "book" to make things "easier" on the later generations. His character reflects that of a real world military officer with high up Political connections having to make difficult decisions for the "Greater Good"...

Sentinel Prime is the captain of the Football team. He is another by the book bot, but he's excelled in manipulating the system and using it to his advantage. His main flaw is projecting the image of self righteousness ad nauseum. He's the posterboy for the system and has clearly derived all of his decisions base on the long term goal that he should one day be the Bigshot. He demeans those he feels are beneath him while minding his manners to his superiors, but at the end of the day, he's one of the good guys... hard to see it like that, but he is. In spite of his douchebaggery he's also in it for the greater good - as long as he looks good by doing it.

Jazz is the oddball of the bunch. He's more like one of those types that gets along with everyone, but is most commonly seen hanging with the A group. He's a respectable guy, talented, clever, and resourceful. He's not caught up in the BS of being in the elite guard, but he's subjected to their rules/regulations by association. I'm sure his being a part of the team is mostly due to lack of other options for a bot of his abilities. Maybe he's in it for adventure, and no other job description on the planet fit his criteria aside from the Elite Guard...

Not quite sure what to make of Blurr yet, if he really is in the elite guard.

As another poster had said, the Elite Guard are likely the best of what there is on Cybertron. I don't think it's a bad thing. If anything, it allows the story room to grow. If the elite guard are ultimate bad@sses, then their story becomes one dimensional and dries up very quickly. i'd like to think that this Animated series has a lot more to offer in the long run.

17. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now I have this awful image of Lugnut with a mohawk and wearing bling while Crazy Face Blitzwing has a new wacky persona each week.

Well there's still plenty of stuff that isn't explained such as Prime stepping down and why Prowl is in the group. Why was the plot devi err I mean Allspark ditched and how did they cast exile the Decepticons.

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    FANART PLZ. NAO.

19. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    not bad for 3 AM, IMHO
    [​IMG]

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    *dies laughing*

Somebody give us another one, man - one of Lugnut telling Blitzwing to "Shuddup, foo'!"