Heavy/Scratch: Elita-One / Elita-1 Custom w/ LED

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by songrobin, Jan 18, 2018.

1. songrobin

songrobin Pastor

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Feat. MMC Eupatorium, EX Gokin Alpha Trion, and Generations Chromia. Had my G1 Season 2 fembots back on the surgery table and removed their alt-modes in favor of a cleaner G1 look. (Alt-modes were trash in my opinion anyways). Been practicing my painting as well; still a work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with the result so far. They'll suffice as a suitable stand-in until an MP-scaled version of them get made (if it ever does....)

DSC00166 (Large).JPG DSC00168 (Large).JPG DSC00170 (Large).JPG DSC00172 (Large).JPG DSC00176 (Large).JPG DSC00178 (Large).JPG DSC00179 (Large).JPG DSC00180 (Large).JPG DSC00183 (Large).JPG DSC00184 (Large).JPG DSC00186 (Large).JPG DSC00188 (Large).JPG DSC00190 (Large).JPG DSC00194 (Large).JPG DSC00199 (Large).JPG DSC00201 (Large).JPG DSC00202 (Large).JPG DSC00206 (Large).JPG DSC00208 (Large).JPG DSC00210 (Large).JPG DSC00216 (Large).JPG DSC00218 (Large).JPG DSC00222 (Large).JPG DSC00223 (Large).JPG

• Like Like x 6
  2. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Nice idea. I'd recommend thinning your paints and using spray paint/airbrushing for large surfaces in future, but the resculpting on the Azalea mould looks neat.

A far cry from the worst repaint of the set.

• Like Like x 2
  3. WEEGEE

WEEGEE they warned me!

News Credits:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Well I'll be dipped in shit and rolled in breadcrumbs!!

Astounding, Good Sir!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

Looks great, especially the head mold. That is a tiny space to fit those lights.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Stunning work as always!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ReximusPrimal07

ReximusPrimal07 Well-Known Member

How does the matrix light up?

• Like Like x 1
  8. songrobin

songrobin Pastor

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Thanks everyone; I really appreciate the encouragements.

Thank you! There are a few areas that I over-painted intentionally (e.g. shoulder pads). I used a glossy clear coat over the chest area, but in retrospect, I should have used matte. I also used a dremel/sandpaper to round out much of the chest before painting. That being said, I'm really a novice at painting and I'd appreciate any tips! I do use spray paints for everything except for smaller areas and I use clear-coat spray paint over everything as well.

PAINT: I'm currently using mostly Rustoleum Spray Paint (for Plastics) sold at Walmart. I also have a small variety of Tamiya Spray Paints. The problem seems to largely occur with lighter colors that need to be painted over darker ones. Any tips would be welcome.

BRUSHES: I don't really wash any of my brushes and so I let most of them harden. I just go on painting with hard brushes since I only use them for smaller areas anyways. I know very little about brushes really and would appreciate any tips.

AIRBRUSH: I know nothing about airbrushing and it sounds like a heavy investment to get myself a complete setup. Is it worth it? Does it take up a lot of room? (I don't have much). Is it significantly better than spray paint?

Thank you!!

For the matrix, I installed a 5mm blue LED (after drilling a hole in the back). I use 36AWG wire twisted pair that runs from the matrix to my 3V power supply (can be A/C or battery). You can see I use a custom connector endpiece in the background in one of the photos where the matrix is held above Elita's head. Blessings to you!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'm definitely no expert myself, and I ciuld do better myself, but I typically use Tamiya paint. It works out okay. For those who don't have an airbrush, get some spray cans to do the work for you. It makes the coat much more even, gets rid of the brushstrokes and then you can put a topcoat on to make it look just like the plastic (semi-gloss). This, BTW, is also Tamiya, and can be picked up from most hobby stores. A bit more expensive, but much better in the long term.

Airbrushes are pricey, so there's no need just yet. :p  Definitely wash your brushes though.

• Like Like x 1