Eliminating the retail experience entirely.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by thoughtcrime, Aug 14, 2007.

1. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Just wondering, has anyone managed to completely eliminate the retail experience from their enjoyment of the hobby? We have the option to preorder just about any figure we want, plus comics, and have them delivered, of course this comes at a price.

I say this after having grown sick of running to the comic shop, Wal-get-R-Us, and either finding squat or having issues with the crowds, cashiers, etc.

The downside to this of course is paying stores like BBTS who scalp brand-new stuff, paying shipping charges, etc. Does anyone here pay for the convenience? I am seriously considering it.

2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Well living across in the UK - and indeed i imagine it's the same for people in a lot of countries which aren't the US - distribution over here is so piss poor that if I want any of the newer toys I don't really have a choice other than eBay or some web store... I very rarely get Transformers in stores (though having said that, I got the Classics UMvsSW set at the weekend from a store ;)  )

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    No, not really. I still buy most of my TF's at stores. The closest thing that I've ever done to purchasing a TF online, would be buying something off of a fellow board member on here. Other than that, I prefer to actually go out to a store and look for TF's. With as few that I'm actually interested in, it's usually not that hard to find the TF's that I want.

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

There's a downside to everything and paying somewhat higher prices is the least of buying online's woes.

Having said that, the majority of the items I purchase, and by that I mean 90% at least, come from online deals. Mind you that's more from neccessity then choice as I don't have the ability to go store hoping just yet. As if it was entirely my choice I would rather buy from brick and mortar shops then off the internet as the advantages seem better imo. But it's still hard to beat the net's biggest strength, availability, when it comes to those harder to find or offbeat raritys.

I just find it easier to justify spending large quantities of cash on something when it's in hand already. When I can get a better appriciation of the size, weight, look and feel of an item, things that you can't get with online shopping.

Though to be fair, I think the only way to ever truely get rid of the 'retail' experiance is to higher a Personal Buyer. Just give them a list of your wants and they'll do all the dirty work for you. Of course you have to be rich to get something like that, but like I said before there's a downside to everything.

5. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Not that I'm a big BBTS defender, but calling him a scalper is pretty lame and shows a serious ignorance of what scalping is.

He orders his product just like any other retailer, so he's no more a scalper than Wal-mart.

6. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    regular product maybe, but when theyre taking preorders on con and store exclusives, claiming its a service and they have buyers out to gather stock... and then selling it a really high markup? thats scalping. sure it may be a service to overseas folk, but no reason to mark it up that high then.

back to topic, i like to hunt. its fun. ill trade or order for older stuff and imports, but current stuff i hunt for. if i never find it and its long gone ill look online.

7. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I think the biggest advantage to retail purchases comes to those MISB collectors...you can choose the best looking box to you before you buy...when buying online you cannot do this...

Don't know how many of you are like me...but I actually like the "hunt"...some of my favorite TF's were purchased when the wife and I made a night time Transformer run...

8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    -EDIT- Already covered

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I order quite a bit online, more now because of gas prices. But that doesn't stop me from going out of my way to see if Target had restocked in the last 30 minutes.

Ditto. I personally have never had a problem with them and the price hike/shipping isn't near as bad as other places. Plus, they're not global and don't buy their stock in the hundreds of thousands like Wal-Mart, so prices are gonna be a bit higher.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Not to start this argument again, but when he sends people out to walmart to buy up all the MP Starscreams like he SAYS he's going to, and turns around and sells them at a 50% markup, how exactly is that NOT scalping?

It's easy to say they aren't scalpers when they aren't taking stock from YOU.

As for the topic, no, I avoid most online stores. They're just too expensive, and I don't need new stuff the first day it's out.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yes, but with two caveats.

I don't buy toys in stores anymore for myself. I do buy them for my kids. They're still too young to understand the delayed gratification of ordering online, and since they really only get one small toy at a time for each of them, it's not economically feasible for me to order online. If they've earned a toy, it's much easier to go to the store and just let them have their pick of what's there.

Two, I only barely qualify as a collector anymore. I really only buy a small handful (maybe three or four) figures a year. And those tend to be large, expensive, and/or imports (think MP figures) that I couldn't buy in a store even if I wanted.

I do admit, not spending hours of time and tons of money on gas driving around hunting for new stuff is very liberating.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Nope, I enjoy shopping and the 'thrill' of finding new toys, though, depending on the size and variety of stores in the shopping center, I usually limit my time to about 2 to 2.5 hours.

I've actually been going in the opposite direction - I've stopped ordering things online since there's nothing I want or they'll eventually find there way to shelves here.

13. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I didn't take into account the rough time our fellow UK collectors have in obtaining new items, not to mention collectors in other countries.

I didn't mean for this to turn into another BBTS debate, but the can is open. Honestly I was using them as an example. Ebayers are worse. I have nothing bad to say about BBTS's service (aside from charging double for in-demand new items). I still shop there but I wont buy the high-end items.

I'm thinking of switching over to pre-ordering figures & subscribing to the comics, so I won't be tempted to stop in the stores on the way home. I'll save gas too. I used to enjoy the hunt, but lately its becoming as frustrating as it was hunting for Star Wars figures years ago. Not to mention, typing the CC into a site will produce far less impulse purchases.

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I don't really go shopping for toys on a whim, I go when I also need to go to the supermarket or some other thing, which is a more efficient use of time and travel costs.

15. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

On the contrary, I've found BBTS and Digital Toys to be excellent options for when I want to keep something MISB. I can't say what it's like where everyone else lives, but, here in PA, there is usually very little stock on the shelves to start with. Even then, especially if you are at a Walmart, what's there is often very noticably dinged if not smashed to pieces. The online stores don't compensate for sloppy paint but what's the difference if you have, at best, 2 or 3 samples to choose from between as many stores?

I spent somewhere between late Energon and early Cybertron buying almost exlcusively online. The previous summer's drought had just made me so angry and some screwup with Alternators pushed me over the edge. That's why I built the Binaltech collection I have and why so many of my "Cybertron" toys are actually Galaxy Force. Online retailers seemed to pick up on this desperation and raised prices enough for me to hit stores during Classics and, if I didn't hate the movie toys so very much, I'd probably go online for them now. At any rate, I _did_ find that I spent alot less money when I refused to deal with local stores...

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Japanese imports = BBTS
    Normal releases = Target, Walmart

If any of the other online stores stop asking for preorder money up front, I might be willing to try them for importing, but for the moment BBTS's system is the only one that works for me.

Everything in the main lines show up here at retail, eventually... so I've never felt inclined to go online for those.

17. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

That about sums up my spending as well.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I usually stick with the stores for most things that aren't imports. When I do make an exception, it's most often through HTS or store websites, as there's no price hike save from shipping.

19. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    I would like to see more of something like Walmart's site-to-store online buying to eliminate shipping costs. This saves me gas money and frustration looking for something. The problem is Walmart doesn't have a big selection and is pretty much sold out of stuff as well. I like the concept and wouldn't mind if other stores do something similar.

20. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

I just got lazy and started preordering waves at BBTS. Though I've recently discovered the best option. Wal Marts site to store feature. Order online then pick up at customer service desk in a week. Its great, but then again theres a small Wal Mart near my house with no lines and a generally great staff.