Elfen Lied

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by TheDemonDzko, Dec 29, 2011.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

This anime eluded me for quite some time, seeing as I had only watched three episodes and didn't make the effort to watch more.

So, flash forward from 05' or so to a couple months ago. I decide, "alright... I've put this off long enough... and my friends keep suggesting it."

So. Watched it... Yeah... that was the biggest crock of shit I have ever seen. None of it even makes sense aside from the main dude getting amnesia of the traumatic events from his childhood. However, aside from that... from like the last two episodes, it just suffers from Generic Anime syndrome.

This being that it fits the stereo-types of anime, in that it goes from something interesting... to not making much sense. I suppose they where trying to build up for a sequel to that season, and just never had the funds available, or something along those lines.

However, the events that take place in those two episodes are entirely bullshit. And in my own rendition I will attempt to parody it.

Lucy- "I KILLDED YOUR FAMILY BECAUSE THEY WHERE MEAN TO ME!!!"
    Main guy- "O= OH NOES WHY DID YOU KILL THEM!?"
    President of company- "I'M A CAT EA- HORNED CREATURE JUST LIKE YOU!!!"
    Insert person here- "NO FUCKING WAY, SO AM I!!!"
    Insert person here- "I'M DEAD!"
    Insert person 1 here- "NO FUCKING WAY, SO AM I -highfive-"
    Insert everyone minus the main guy and his other love intrest-"WE ARE ALL FUCKING DEAD!!!!"
    Main Guy- "OH MY GOD A CLIFFHANGER, ONTOP OF THE THIRTY THAT JUST CAME OUT OF FUCKING NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHERE!!!"

Alright, possibly a bit of a exageration... but that shit was just frustrating. I understand the series itself had it's own issues, such as trying to do a manga adaptation ontop of the animation, thus having two unrelated stories...but. At the same time, I am a man that appreciates a fluid series... and that show starts off decently, and then... -insert string of vulgarities here- with mickey mouse -insert string of vulgarities- soup -insert string of vulgarities- In the testicles.

So, those are my thoughts. What did ya'll think of it?

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i saw the first four episodes, i liked them, but episode four, depressed the hell out of me, it was so sad and depressing that i never picked up another volume from netflix.

maybe i'll try and watch it again someday, but idk, there are way better anime out there, that doesn't try to be overly violent, just to be "edgy".

if i wanted to watch a really violent anime, i'd watch another episode of fist of the north star.

3. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been slowly slogging through it. So far it's just not that exciting.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Never seen it but from what i've heard it's some sort of disgusting gore fest. Definitley not my cup of tea.

5. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    saw clips of it,.... my reaction: :eek:  :puke2: 

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was never too big on this either. However, I understand that it's basically a hentai, so other than getting the occasional boner & fapfodder, my expectations were quite low.

7. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Pretty much. Like, I didn't have very high exceptions because I knew it was basically a hentai, but damn. Even my balls felt offended much of the time.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The main problem with Elfen Lied is one that has plagued any number of anime series over the years: It was adapting a manga that wasn't finished yet. When that happens, the anime inevitably runs out of material to adapt and the producers have to decide between making up a new ending, padding the show out with filler until they have more 'official' story to adapt or just bringing the series to a stop. The original FMA and Hellsing anime are examples of the first, Naruto and Bleach are examples of the second...and Elfen Lied is an example of the third. The last episodes of Elfen Lied are set approximately halfway through the manga, when virtually none of the ongoing questions had been answered yet, so the producers just slapped together a sort-of ending that didn't work at effectively tying things up. Maybe they expected to get another season and it just never came to pass, who knows.

As far as the content of the series, it's not one of my absolute favorites, but I enjoy watching it every so often. I was expected a full-on guro hentai, but the story is interesting and the characters are fairly compelling...it just falls apart at the end. It is very violent, but one of the points of the series is showing the brutality and inhumanity that the characters display, particularly showing how cruel humans are to the 'inhuman' Diclonii. And it's definitely not like a hentai. There is some nudity, but most of it is intended to show how Lucy and the other Diclonii are being dehumanized, not for the titillation of the viewers. The only overt sexual content, that I remember anyways, is largely obscured and involves
    an underage girl being raped by her stepfather

But, as weird and violent as the anime is, the manga is far worse. It does answer all the questions that were raised early on and in the anime (eg - the company President with the horns is
    not a Diclonius, just some delusional human with a bone disorder, and Lucy makes short work of him
    ), but the weirdness and gore get cranked up to eleven. Such things as
    "diaper girl"
    , a hired killer using a
    mutilated live Diclonius as a tracking device (and sex toy)
    , a young woman transformed into a
    gigantic biological computer
    and several chapters at the end where
    Lucy's third personality takes over and her body slowly rots away as she pushes her powers too far
    come after the end of the anime. Anyone disgusted by the (relatively) tame anime shouldn't go anywhere near the manga.

9. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    there is NOTHING bonerific about elfen lied, seriously, its the one time boobs AREN'T a happy thing

i really liked elfen lied, it is completely FUCKED UP, but really good

10. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I LOVE Elfen Lied, its my second favourite anime. Such a good series.

I'd really like to see an manga-accurate remake series, just because there's so much more to the manga and its so messed up. There are certain characters I'd love to see animated too (the ones Scantron mentioned) I did really like the anime ending though, even if it is pretty abrupt.

This. So much.

11. Dolza_Khyron

i'm curious about the manga now :lol 

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It would have been better if the Elfen had just told the truth.

13. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hahah, likewise.

14. Dolza_Khyron

and in fact, i'm thinking of just skipping the anime now, now that i've read that they did that stupid filler crap, they did with other anime lol

15. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Honestly, I wouldn't let this thread derail you. I really haven't seen enough to judge, so I probably shouldn't even have wrote as much as I did. Just watch a couple of episodes, see if you care to keep going, and then just go from there. Anything else is really just a disservice to yourself, especially if you already had an interest prior to reading negative thoughts from other people.

16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Elfen Lied is great and very touching.

17. Dolza_Khyron

touching, in more ways then one, clearly :lol