Elephants

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chopperface, May 26, 2012.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Elephants have always been my favorite animal. When I think of animals, they've always been the first one I thought of. As a kid I loved characters like Tantor in Tarzan, or Colonel Hathi and his army in The Jungle Book, or Dumbo.

An aspect I particularly like, and the primary reason for making this thread, is the sheer amount of intelligence and love these animals have, especially their strong sense of family. Quoted from Wikipedia:

Fucking beautiful. Reading that brought a tear to my eye. The day those creatures go extinct is the day I declare war on whatever killed the last one.

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Elephants were my favorite animal as a child. Always so majestic, and powerful. Anytime I go to a zoo, I have to see the elephants - particularly the African Elephants. I've always found them to be much more awe-inspiring than the Asian.

3. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I love elephants. I spent two weeks in Thailand in August. While there I fell in love with a sweet girl called Nadia. She spent two or so hours everyday in front of a cute little Flintstones themed restaurant. Her caretaker had trained her to accept money from people and hand it to him, then hand you a bad of veggies to feed her. I was a bit worried at first, she was big as a horse, after all. But after a few minutes and some encouragement from her caretaker, I was perfectly comfortable to lean against her. We went to visit her twice during our stay.

[​IMG]
    Yes, she is wearing a yellow scarf. :D 

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

D'aaaawww, look at his puppy eyes...

I like elephants but both as a child and as an adult, my favorite animal has been....crocodiles. Yes, I'm a weird person.

Though it's for the opposite reason: I like Crocodiles because they're the most OBVIOUSLY EVIL [so to speak] animals I can think of, they look like Hellhounds, their eyes are creepy, they lurk in the shadows of the lake, and they murder everything that comes near it with ease and style and they're not friendly. They're nature's supervillains [or at least they have everything to be nature's supervillains].

About Elephants, I respect them for their intelligence, cunning and strength, but...they're animals you really don't want to piss off, so I more fear them than admire them.

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember watching a video of an elephant giving birth

it was hilarious

6. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    My Family use to love Elephants. When I was a baby I use to watch a Canadian Elephant show called Sharon, Lois and Bram's The Elephant Show.

7. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Elephants are by far my favourite animal and I collect elephant "stuff" and have them all over my house.

I also own several documentaries, and what you quoted above is actually typical behaviour. When a baby elephant dies, sometimes mum also dies because she refuses to leave her baby. Often the rest of the herd will force her to move on.....but, mum nearly always returns to the site of her child's demise, in future seasons. They love their young like we do and are very maternal.

Another show I saw was about an elephant matriarch who was terrorising a human village because a few years ago they speared and killed her male companion and hurt her baby. She literally led the entire herd into the village and everytime they re-built it....she'd do it again, just that ONE village (and there were many clustered around each other) - elephants really don't forget.

8. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Elephants are awesome. They are just awesome. They are slow,yet smart. They are big,yet weak. They are cute,yet at times sort of ugly. I just love 'em.

And who else wants to have a nose that can pick stuff up and can shoot water out of it? I do.:) 

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    That is just awesome GFH.

10. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

I love elephants. Dumbo was my favorite Disney movie growing up.

11. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    Elephants are amazing creatures. I remember riding one in Vietnam. Our driver had to be no older than 14, but he piloted that beast like a boss.

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^You know...I think I actually remember riding an elephant at a fair once when I was a child.

13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Me too. It was at a circus or something, and I was pretty scared because well... they be large.

I was much more comfortable with the ponies. :D 

14. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    This brought some bad feels. Poor elephants.

Elephants are great, they're cool animals. I'm also biased because of that White Stripes album. Damn shame they're such common targets.

15. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Elephants are pretty boss.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I like them well enough. When they're properly cooked.

I like animals. I like nature documentaries. Seen some elephants at the zoo. That's about it.

Both my sisters are kinda elephantine. Massive, craggy tough skin, have to be regularly hosed down in the garden.
    Got any ele ornaments? Trunks up or down? Assuming you've heard the thing about good luck.

Or by 'elephant stuff' do you mean their dung? :p 

17. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Haha! No elephant poop ;)  By "stuff" I just meant as a generic term for all sorts of things - ornaments (lots of ornaments), pictures, I have salad servers engraved with elephants, several windchimes etc.

Yes, all my elephants have their trunks up ;)  As per the rules of feng shui.......I also have several fairly large ornaments in my entry way right at the front door - also with trunks up.

18. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Elephants are okay i guess. Theyre no llamas.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

20. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I like elephants and whales the most out of the animal kingdom (besides dogs).

I despise communities of people who believe killing animals such as rhinos, elephants, or whales, is culturally relevant.