Electroconvulsive Therapy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by llamatron, Mar 1, 2006.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Electroconvulsive Therapy (henceforth referred to as ECT)? It's generally used as a last case resort to treat severe suicidal depression, bi-polar disorder etc. Has anyone had a friend / family member / etc under-go this treatment? Just looking for first hand encounters with it as someone I know is supposed to be getting ECT starting this Friday. I may explain more later, but for now off to bed... thanks y'all.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I got shocked with 220V once if that counts. I was standing on a wet floor too, I'm lucky I'm not dead.

It was electric, and I did convulse.

3. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

One time working at TRU I had to change one of those tube light bulbs that was in a very tricky position. I had to climb a latter and then turn around on the ladder and stretch over to reach this bulb. At one point I lost my footing on the ladder and grabbed for anything to avoid falling. Unfortunatly I grabbed the blub and it had a faulty wire and I got shocked and ended up falling anyway.

4. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

My friends dad who is bipolar and tried to commit suicide had to go through that. I don't really know any specifics but he is doing amazing now.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All I know about ECT is from a bit in the film 'Requiem for a Dream' and I never want to be reminded of that film ever again.

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I just keep thinking of the asylum scenes in Return to Oz.

7. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I got shocked yesterday with one of those gag pens that you click and get buzzed from.

It didn't make me feel any better.

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

You remember that part where the guy's arm is all fucked up and then he still tries to shoot up and it... :p  ;) 

9. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

One good thing about ECT therapy is the retrograde amnesia, so you don't wanna beat up the person who shocked you, because you don't remember that they did.

10. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I get shocked each time I get out of the car or run around the track and touch the railing at the gym. I remember there was this game called 'fester's electric machine' that you would hold two handles and it would "shock you" and you had to hold on to get lots of tickets. T'was fun for a bit.

11. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

One time when I was little our neighbors installed an electric fence around their garden to keep their dogs from digging in it. A friend, my brother and I kept grabbing onto one of the wires and seeing how long we would hold on. Or we would all grab each other's arm and then the person closest to the fence would grab it.

Some days I carry around a lot of static electricity for some reason and I'll get shocked every time I get out of the car. Almost to the point where I get a conditioned to be fearful of getting shocked the second I get out of the car.

12. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

My first thought was of the episode of Quantum leap where Sam leaps into the assylum and starts acting like all of the people he'd leaped into.