Electric guitar for the beginner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katamari Prime, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

I've recent started the process for playing the electric guitar, and while some of the periphery is easy (Picks, strings,, cord, tuner, strap), and some of the books have been rather helpful as well (Rock guitar for dummies, teach yourself guitar, progressive guitar method). However, one of the main items eludes me, the instument itself (Plan on getting the amp after Botcon, then the guitar). I've been looking around, and while even Radio Shack and Wal-Mart have them very inexpensive, I thought I'd get some suggestions, both on what to get , and what to aviod. How about it?

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What are you looking to spend? For about $400, you can get a standard American Stratocaster. I'd HIGHLY recommend it for a beginner. I should know, it was my first guitar too. :thumb 

3. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't, don't don't don't don't, I repeat for the love of god DON"T get a guitar at Wal Mart of Radio Shack or someplace like that. Find an actual musical instrument store near you and ask them for help. Explain that you are a beginner looking to buy a beginner's guitar, and you can get a decent one, possibly even used, if it's a good store it won't matter, for $100-$200. Trust me, you don't want the pieces of crap they sell at the Wal Marts of the world.

Providing the music store isn't made of dicks, you'll be able to actually play a bunch of different guitars on actual nice amps before you buy one, to get a feel for them and see if you like their sound. Do this for an amp as when when you get one.

4. Razorblaze

Razorblaze God of Thunder TFW2005 Supporter

I'm also considering taking up guitar after Botcon. I've been told to stay away from the Radio Shack and Wal-Mart guitars and amps. I'm looking around at pawn shops in my town. A friend of mine got a good guitar and amp for $600. There's also a local music store in my town that does rentals. If I go that route, then I'm going to save up for good equipment while I'm renting.

I haven't found someone to give me lessons yet. If I can't, I'll take a shot at teaching myself. So if you can give me any helpful pointers, that'd be cool. Thanks, and hope I was helpful.

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As a beginner I say don't spend over $200 or so. You can get entry level guitars from big brands for around that which are still semi-decent and absolutely perfect to learn on. If you spend tons and end up being one of the many guys that ends up letting the instrument just collect dust then it's not quite a good investment eh? Save the higher end models for when you've gotten really serious with the playing and know it's going to become a frequent hobby for you!

I definitely suggest you go for either a stratocaster or les paul style body, those are very comfortable to start out with. Getting a flying V or some other odd exotic shape in your hands right at first will just make it more awkward than it needs to be.

6. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tablature is your friend.

Stay away from Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

Go to a Sam Ash, Guitar Center, local guitar shop, etc.

7. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks, I figured that Walmart and radio shack were a gamble at best. I've seen some amp and guitar sets for $200-$300. And of the stores I've been to, the one I visit most (Wall Street Guitar and Collectibles) actually want to help. The pawn shop average about $395 a piece. And yes indeed, Tablature is very handy, but it depends on who's writing it to understand it (Some of the guitar magazines I've gone through just have numbers rather than full notation, not a big help.)

And Razorblade, There's also Guitar for Dummies available, if you think that might be more your speed.

8. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    For those of you who play the guitar, do you have any opinions on Ibanez EX electric guitars?

9. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    Written by a Fender player, so people who prefer Les Pauls or others can leave their own opinion:
    if you must go the cheapest route, get a Fender Squier Affinity Strat (they sell a package deal that comes with a 15W amp). the Affinity is the top of the Squier line and is a decent guitar, and you'll only be investing a little money at the beginning.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...Fender-Frontman-15G-Amp-104487442-i1175988.gc

however, you're eventually going to want a better guitar, it's only natural, so if you have the cash, get a Fender Standard Strat. This is the next step up, it's a great guitar for the price (i got mine for $290 off ebay). Sound is good and the quality is also good. These are the Made In Mexico Strats, something you might have seen if you've researched.

obviously the top end are the Fender American Standards. These are made in America and make up the top tier (and thus are easily $1400+). The quality is top notch and this would be the guitar all your big names would play (actually, most of the big names have their own Signature American Strats as well).

in the end you're going to want to balance cost with sound. I love the sound of a Strat, my friends have Strats, so I went with a MIM Strat. I didn't want to spend the money for the American Strat but didn't want to get an Affinity knowing I'd have to turn around and get something better in a few months. Just my humble opinions....

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

just buy guitar hero for £70. when all the girls see you playing, they try to get in your pants. happens all the time to me.

11. Keiichitron

Ebay:
    that didn't happen to me until i became the drummer in Rock Band

12. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I understand what everyone is saying about a nicer guitar, but unless you are absolutely positive you are going to stick with it I say you should buy a cheaper guitar from Target like this:

http://www.target.com/Fender-Starca...e=UTF8&index=target&rh=k:fender guitar&page=1

I got that guitar for Christmas with high hopes that I would learn to play guitar. I practiced for about 6 1-hour sessions before becoming frustrated. I haven't touched it since.

I recommend you get a cheaper one and then if you get proficient with that, spend the extra spendoulies to get a nicer one.

13. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Don't buy a cheap new guitar, buy a cheap used guitar. For the same price as those crappy radio shack guitars, you can get something that's actually made to last.

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh, another suggestion:
    if you live near a college town, go to the mom and pop shops in that town.
    Colleges have tons of kids trying to learn instruments and the competition there makes it better for you to find a deal.
    I was a drummer once, and i got a good deal on a basic kit from a store barely 6 blocks from campus, and my dorm pals did the footwork and got damn good deals on both electric and accoustic guitars.

Closer to where i live now, we only have a total of 5 shops in a 60 mile radius and their prices are terrible.

I guess i could buy online- so could you- but you really need to talk to someone in the store, let em know what kind of beginner you are, and get their input.

15. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I learned guitar on a cheap 3/4 size acoustic guitar... they're around 50 bucks at some places new and since it's smaller will give your non-strumming hand the chance to stretch so that if you figure you're going to stick with it you will have an easier time playing your new electric.

And if you don't continue with it then hey you spent 50 bucks. Sell it on eBay for 25.

16. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

My first piece of advice would be got to whatever big guitar shop you've got near you and try out as many as you can get your hands on. I say this as a guitar that's not comfortable in your hands will put you off more than anything.
    (also use this as an excuse to try out the really expensive shit if you can, you may not be able to afford it, but it's sure as hell fun)

Spend as much as you can afford to on your first guitar as well, if you buy a cheapo, you'll end up upgrading from it very quickly and it'll be dead money. However if you have a decent priced/quality instrument and end up deciding you don't want to carry on you won't lose too much ebaying it. Whereas, no-one would buy a second hand dirt cheap guitar.

As for guitar brands, who cares, OK you've got Fender and Gibson, who some people swear by, personally Fenders do nothing for me and Gibsons made after the mid 80s are a mixed bag quality wise. I say try every brand you can and go with whatever works for you. I have 8 guitars and only 2 of those are from the same company (Dean) as brand loyalty really limits your options.

For an amp, if it's only for home practice it's worth looking at a Roland Micro cube. It's about the size of a car battery, runs either off the mains or 6 AA batteres and has a pretty good range of sounds. But as with the guitars themselves, try everything and see what does it for you.

17. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Coincidentally, this is the only time this has ever happened to a drummer.

18. Keiichitron

Ebay:
    quoted the whole thing for truth. also, second the Roland Micro Cube, it's very handy and portable, pretty versatile and doesn't sound half bad.

19. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    You don't get much more portable than the Marshall MS-4.

[​IMG]

It's a one-foot tall microstack. It runs on a nine-volt battery, sounds better than a lot of cheap full-sized amps (Peavy, I'm looking at you), and looks adorable. And it's loud. Loud enough to compete with drums and horns. Best thirty bucks I ever spent.

20. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still say go with something around 200 bucks. If you spend a lot but end up not taking to the instrument, which is a possibility, it'll be somewhat wasted. There are tons of pricey guitars out there just collecting dust in people's basements. Don't let that happen to you. You can find decent sounding guitars for around that, from Ibanez, Jackson, Dean, Schecter, ESP/LTD, etc, that are just fine for learning on and practicing with for the first year or two of playing before you're really ready to get super into it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008