Elder Scrolls MMO?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by mrhillz, Jan 23, 2010.

1. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd take a dagger and pluck my own heart out, I would. It's not that the continent of the Elder's Scrolls is not worth exploring with 5 billion people, but I have always loved the single player story of TES, and at most, I wished for maybe an instance-based MMOR, like Sacred 2, where maybe you and 4-8 friends could go on quests together. If the next Elder's is an MMOR, Oblivion will have been my last ES. I simply do not have the time to invest in MMORs.

3. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    I doubt it's an entire new chapter in the Elder Scrolls series. It'll probably end up being similar to the LotR online game.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    If you think this is a good idea...well I'll just leave it at you're wrong.

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Changing it to multiplayer ruins the whole purpose of the game series, and the atmosphere is lost. As a player of Morrowind and Oblivion, I enjoyed roaming the countryside and exploring the land, soaking in the atmosphere.

Especially in Morrowind, I would sometimes really roleplay my character, where I would sleep at proper time intervals and earn money through hard work or potion-making. I would talk to strangers and feel literally drenched in the culture of the place. I would visit the libraries during my so-called "spare time" and read books on the secret, scandalous affairs of the elven queen. I would spend many in-game days on trips to strange islands and ruins, taking care to note each little detail along the way. Perhaps this time I saw a new, oddly-shaped rock, or a rare plant that I've been looking for. I would sometimes go in one direction, without aim, hoping to find new adventure. (and the beauty of the games is that I always do)

Morrowind and Oblivion (Cyrodiil, actually) were like places to escape from everyday people. The feeling's like plugging into a dream world where there are no reminders of everyday frustrations. In a sense, it's not a game for me, but rather, a form of escapism. Both games were outlets for me to fulfill my wildest desires, and to be the hero I've always wanted to be. The world revolves around you, where you feel you have a reason to be there, a reason to change the world.

In multiplayer, that feeling is ruined. The world is not about you, it's about everybody getting equal share. It's about levelling up and reaching the deepest dungeons. It's about getting as much gold as you can, or as many artifacts as available.

The once empty and serene countryside would now be crowded with loads of people; smart-alecs talking in L33t language. No longer will the illusion of fantasy be maintained. Rather the game is now a sport, a place to hang out with friends. You no longer get the feeling of destiny, it is now natural selection rewarding the players who play harder. It is a survival of the fittest.

Of course, I will not judge the actual quality of the game because MMORPGs do appeal to many. I respect that gamers do enjoy MMOs. But for me, if the series starts going MMO, like Prowl said, Oblivion will be my last TES game. Thank goodness Shivering Isles was such a fantastic job.

6. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Pretty much this, word-for-word. And Oblivion was my favorite game of all time at the time I played it.

7. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I've wanted to entertain the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO, but I think I'd rather have a gameplay similar to Oblivion, and then just team up with a few friends to make the game world 'mah bitch, heh.

I also want to fight a dragon in the next Elder Scrolls, not enough of that going around.

8. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

This is how I feel also, this sucks.

9. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Basically, this. I love just pottering around and doing whatever I fancy in TES, I don;t want to only be able to experience it by logging on with a bunch of other people...

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    No

11. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think there are gonna be any dragons for sometime because they are extinct in Tamriel? They were things of ancient history for Tamrielians. TES lore experts could correct me.