Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by yodafett, Jan 21, 2009.

1. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    So... I just got this game for the PS3. Haven't even fired it up yet. Any advice of things to do or avoid? Quests I should make an effort to hit early as opposed to later? Input would be greatly appreciated. :) 

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Don't we have an epic thread on this very game already?

3. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I saw one from launch time, ~3 years ago, but it seemed to trail off, without much recent info... They also only addressed PC and 360, I wasn't sure how much platform specific differences there were. If everything in that thread is good, then feel free to close this one. I'm pretty easy. :) 

4. McBradders

Seems silly to close it seeing as the last thread is from 2 years ago :3

5. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Best advice I can give for that game is to go nuts and do what you want. Keep an eye on your character's fatigue (the green bar) at the start, once that goes down, you'll be fighting, running, and doing whatever really bad.

Oh yeah, and don't steal horses, not at the start, and I mean like you just got out of prision start.

6. McBradders

Also don't swing and hit your horse, it will kill you.

7. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the point is to do whatever you want. I have several characters on it in case I missed something.

8. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    cool, thanks! I wasn't sure how much "strategy" would be involved other than "don't die".

9. samtheman

No strategy what-so-ever.

10. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

They're really aren't any besides the PC version has mod support and an editor. Content wise it's identical across all platforms. Save that the PS3 version ships with Knights of the Nine. And the 360/PC version you need to buy the download or get the GOY edition.

11. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

doesn't the ps3 version have a glitch that was never fixed. the vampire quest? from what i've heard DON"T DO THAT QUEST! if they never fixed it, when you become a vampire, there's no way to undo the change on the PS3 version. when you talk to the person thats supposed to give you the antidote they try to kill you or something instead of helping you and there's no way to fix your little problem. anyways that's my little tip, anyone else here want to verify that they never fixed the glitch?

12. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Try starting a new game. In my 360 version every new game I start has a glitch. First game when ever I'd try and enter the Anvil weaponsmith, game crashes. Last game, the Argonian you needed to wait for to start the Theives guild quest line never spawned. Ever.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The only special glitch I'm aware of not being fixed in the PS3 version is the item duplication glitch.

Oblivion on any platform is glitchy as hell though. prepare to see flying horses, dead men standing in the middle of the road, and people sunk into the ground.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Run to the Shivering Isles as soon as you can. Great fun to be had there.

Speaking of glitches... Get ready for a MAJOR PS3 one that I had to run circles to fix. First of all, if you have the original Oblivion, you are good to go. But during the Vampire quest (unless you want to remain one) one of the items doesn't get recognized by the NPC. I had to go rent the original game just to get her to accept the item, Save, then reload with my Shivering disc.

15. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I ... THINK it's the original Oblivion... didn't say expansion anywhere... I'll try to take it for a spin tonight.

16. devastator831

devastator831 Mechanical Engineer

Absolutely wonderful game been playing it now for 3 weeks here and there and the quests are quite addicting. As others have said don't start the vampire quest if you have the Game of the Year Edition unless you wish to stay a vampire for the rest of the game. ie if you contract polymorphic hemophelia get cured at a chapel ASAP or else you will turn into a vampire. I learned the hard way and had to restart my character. And don't forget to save often. :) 

17. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Ok, after looking at cover images online, I have the regular Oblivion, no GoYE, no Shivering Isles. How much cooler is Shivering Isles, should I get it too, or try and exhaust the base game first?

18. samtheman

Play the base first and then get SI if you like the base. Also don't worry about the vampire thing if you save before getting the vampire disease you can just reload the game.

19. McBradders

PS3 has some extra content as standard, ie. probably GOTY edition.

20. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I'd say get Shivering Isles as soon as possible, so that way when you're walking around doing your adventures, you may end up in the whole Shivering Isiles thing without knowing it, giving that kind of "surprise" to your adventure.

I actually have no idea if that'll work sense you're playing on a console, would you have to insert the CD first to even be able to walk into whatever content Shivering Isiles provides, or does the CD install whatever data it needs to and then you can access it's content like the PC?