Customs: El Cheapo Air Brush from Harbor Freight

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Boggs6ft7, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

So I've been wanting to get an airbrush for a while but I didn't want to fully invest the 200+ in getting a "nice" airbrush from iwata or some other place.

I was at Harbor Freight and they had this one"

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47791

Basically an uber cheap air brush, I think I paid even less for it, like 6 bucks.

One of the big drawbacks to an airbrush is that you need an air source. You can get the propellant cans, which I tried, but it lost pressure too quick. Its not that it ran out but PV = nRT, pressure drops, so does the temp, so it gets too cold to maintain a proper pressure. So I barely got to use the thing.

My dad happened to have an extra air compressor laying around that is used for small jobs like nailing, bike tires, small air tools, etc... Its not an "air brush compressor" but it did the job fine.

I have to say that I can't believe what I had been missing. Even a cheap airbrush on a bigger than needed air compressor did an awesome job. I had been hand painting a figure and what I did in four hours I got done in 20 minutes. It was well worth the investment.

I look forward to getting a gravity feed iwata to do some cool detail work, but for a quick base coat of what I needed, this worked great.

If you have a compressor, you should give it a try.

Also, while I was there, they had an airbursh/compressor combo that was on sale for $60 or 70. I can't comment on the air compressors Harbor Freight sells. The stuff they sell there isn't known for precision.

2. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Keep your air pressure regulated and dry, and you will be fine. Yours will wear out soon because it has rubber bushings. ANY SOLVENTS will eat them up quick. Water base is o.k., but it will rust. But I gotta say, great thing on getting an airbrush. Practice until you feel good, then get this
    http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ECL4500

I use those guys for a lot of stuff.

3. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

glad to hear that man. i also bought a cheap air brush a few weeks ago. i havnt had a chance to hook it up and use it yet, i've been working on something else. but i'm glad to hear it does an ok job.

4. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i have either that one or one real close to it. i have run my @ 90 psi and it did not blow up.my el cheapo like that one has brass and chrome plated parts so i dont think it will rust but the rubber o-rings i have no idea. thats probly true.

5. encline

News Credits:
    90 PSI!!!! WOW. How does it spray? If you reduce your paint, you should be able to keep it at about 30 to get the best results. But hey, if it is working. Yeah, the brass and chrome is great, I was not knocking anything, just some heads up on things to look out for. I learned the hard way.

6. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

That was the one I was looking to get once this one wears out.

What kind of compressor do you use? I didn't have much control over the pressure of the one I was using. It kept the pressure around 25-40 psi, but I couldn't get it to stay constant.

7. encline

News Credits:
    Here is the page you are looking for on compressors. I use the one on the bottom. But I also do custom airbrush work, well when work was available here, for a living.http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=173

But, just go to home depot and buy a pressure regulator. I found the best acrrylic to spray is model masters or auto air. Reduced at about 50% with air pressure about 30-35 psi.

8. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

oh it was just an accident but it impressed the hell outa me. i reduce the paint big time 50/50 standard paint and something like 40/60 for metallic enamels. i have a full size engersol rand(prob spelled that wrong) compressor so it is tough to lower the preasure so i turn it off at 40 psi so i mainly use it at 40 psi. i do not recomend using it at 90 psi just saying. my airbrush is a big lots one and it looks identical to the one on topic it cost $7.00