Educate Me: War For Cybertron Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Reaper Cloud, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    Okay, I'm currently playing "War for Cybertron" on the PS3 (yeah, I'm late to the game...blah blah blah) and really liked how the characters looked (Haven't done the Autobots yet, just the Decepticons story).

From what I've seen online, only five figures have been made...and they were not "Official" War for Cybertron figures, just ones that went with the look from the game. They are:

Optimus Prime
    Bumblebee
    Cliffjumper
    Megatron
    Soundwave

So, are there any more than this? I know that they are making some figures for the new "Fall of Cybertron" game, but will anymore figures come out for the older game? Like a Starscream figure?

Finally, what type of pricing should I be looking at? Ridiculous or just a bit marked up? I keep finding cool older stuff...but the high prices make me laugh and look away. Maybe I'll just jump into the new FOC figures when they are out, since their pricing won't be high.

Any/All info will be appreciated. :D  You guys really did a good job with my last "Educate Me" topic, so you probably won't fail me again. lol Although it is pretty late here right now. Might have to bump this later.

2. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Those are it. But we are getting a larger assortment of FOC toys. We know of a new Optimus, Jazz, Shockwave, Bruticus/Combaticons and Starscream so far, but there should be more.

3. Reaper Cloud

News Credits:
    I haven't looked too much into the new game (since I didn't want to spoil the older game that I'm playing), but would Optimus and Starscream still look the same in their FOC mold compared to how they looked in WFC?

4. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Optimus is a new design, but Starscream looks just like WFC. But you're going to have to be patient for Starscream. He won't be out until next Spring.

5. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I know nothing about what prices to expect and what's good, mainly as my opinions on pricing is coloured due to the horseshit prices here in Australia. However, this statement:

Needs addressing. How in the hell are they not "official" WFC figures? They had stickers advertising the game on the friggin' packaging. They didn't just use "the look" from the game, they were directly based off the CG models with the only differences being because of budget and physics. Seriously, how are they not "official"? It's like saying "the Animated figures were not "Official" Transformers: Animated figures, just ones that went with the look from the cartoon". Srsly. What.

6. Reaper Cloud

News Credits:
    Next Spring?! 0_0

I can be patient, but I'm so paranoid about canceled figures (since I've read about so many of them so far)...I hope he's still a thought by next Spring. lol

As for the new design for Optimus. Is it a huge change, or just minor parts?

Oh, and thanks for the quick answers by the way. :D 

7. Reaper Cloud

News Credits:
    By my "Official" statement, I was going off of what a Transformers Wikipedia page said when it stated:

"The only official War for Cybertron-branded toy was a Legends-class Starscream that came free with the purchase of a War for Cybertron video game from UK retailer ShopTo.net. It was a redeco of a Cybertron Starscream toy.

Hasbro did produce a handful of new toys based directly on designs from the video games, but for some reason they were sold in Generations packaging with no mention of War for Cybertron (save for a sticker announcing the game, that was placed on the initial release of some of these figures). Despite this omission, the release of the first wave was timed within days of the games and novel,[2] and their on-package bios were basically in sync with that fiction."

So after reading that (and not really expecting it to be accurate), I came here to see what info I could get.

8. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Optimus' redesign is pretty much major. And I wouldn't worry about Starscream. He's apparently in Wave 1 of the 2013 assortment.

9. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

So "official" means "released under the War For Cybertron title"? Huh. That makes a kind of sense, I guess, but the WFC toys released in Generations are still official WFC toys, they just didn't get their own sub-line. Probably because there were only five of them.

And FOC Optimus is an entirely new mold seeing as he gets an entirely new design in Fall of Cyberton because...um...argle fargle blargle.

10. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

They are official, even if the release is a bit specious. The Generations line covers a lot of bases, so it tends to keep the fiction (as far as the bios go) kind of loose. Previous iterations of the line (specifically the 2008 Universe line) cover multiple TF continuities, so the fiction is left loose enough to avoid contradicting their own toys in the same line.

Since it was unlikely that Hasbro was planning a full War for Cybertron-centric line, they shuffled the planned figures into the Generations line for ease of release, since that way they could hit mass-market shelves without 'forcing' the Generations line to identify solely with War for Cybertron.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    The decision to not have a game packaged product was probably retailer based; it's a lot easier to sell them on a wave of generations (something they have past sales numbers with) and telling them that the next wave has figures from the upcoming video game as well then to try to sell them on dedicating even further peg space to an untested video game line that would only have a few figures in it.

Being worried about these figures coming out is foolish, they will come out, so relax.

Expect several FoC figures.

12. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    The WFC figures are amongst the easiest to procure and among the most detailed transformed in those generations waves.

Cliffjumper\Bumblebee are a tad oversized, the rest are all fine.

Their aftermarket prices have not soared too much.

Take note that the FOC iterations [Jazz, Prime, Shockwave] are so far smaller than the generations WFC characters.

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Here's some other info- Soundwave is awesome. The Takara version is incredibly sexy and worth the markup. Hell, I think the Takara versions of all 5 are probably superior, the paint jobs make it look like they're glowing the way they do in game.

14. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While there are 5 molds, there's a few variations on each too, making for quite a bit more then just 5 figures.

OP - generations, generations 3 pack (clear), united, united 2 pack (black)
    BB - generations, generations 3 pack (battle damage), united
    CJ - generations, united
    Megs - generations, generations 3 pack (energon/clear), united, united 2 pack (black)
    Soundwave - generations, united

so with those, unless I'm missing some, it's around 15 variations/repaints that are available currently in the wfc line.

15. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    This. Major retailers (at least here in the US) don't care about what composes a toyline. The reason why there are 50 million DOTM BBs shelfwarming is that the retailers don't differentiate between DOTM BB or DOTM Soundwave. They see them both as DOTM Deluxe. This is one of the reasons the last DOTM wave was cancelled (they still have DOTM Deluxes on the pegs).

IF WFC had its own line, it probably would have suffered the same fate as Prime FE. Retailers still have Generations on the pegs (and some ROTF/HFTD) and would have been reluctant ordering a brand new line which only has a video game as a media tie in.

Oh, and OP, if you have a TRU near you, you can try to see if you can find the WFC 3-pack. It has OP, BB, and Megs, so that's already half the line. You only need to find Soundwave if you don't want a repaint like CJ

16. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Here's some more information.

The WFC figures, as has been mentioned, will be taller than the FOC figures because the size of figures has shrunk since then.

The only characters who got a new design from one game to another are Megatron and Optimus. All other characters as far as I know, and thus their toys, will be the same as War. This includes this Starscream due in spring 2013:
    [​IMG]

The Fall of Cybertron figures will be part of Generations just as War was. So far 9 figures have been announced from the games. Optimus, Jazz, Shockwave, Brawl, Blast Off, Vortex, Swindle, Onslaught, and Starscream. The first 8 will be the first wave or two and should hit stores some time from May to August (there has been quite a bit of confusion as for the actual date. I'll assume August but others have said May).

Shockwave has been the most praised of the new reveals. You can find Toy Fair pics of him online. Both his modes look extremely accurate.

For Bruticus each limb is designed to be any limb. There is currently confusion about what color scheme the figures will be released in; game accurate colors or G2-ish colors. The first images released had game colors but subsequent viewings, including the one displayed at Toy Fair, were the G2-ish colors. Opinions are heated about Bruticus himself. Bad colors plus some probable mistransformation have yielded a combiner not up to par with 3rd party figures, and some people are vocally upset about this.

But back to the War figures, you will find people who love every mold, though Bee and his Cliffjumper repaint, are generally at the bottom of peoples lists. In my personal opinion Optimus is the best figure followed by Soundwave, then Megatron with Bee last.

Optimus is very posable and has a complex transformation. Both modes look very game accurate. I highly recommend the Reprolabel stickers for him as well. It really enhances a fantastic figure in my opinion.

Soundwave is extremely articulate as well. His vehicle mode looks dead on for the game model but his robot mode is scrawnier than his game version. He does not look bad in any sense of the word, in my opinion. The game model is rather chunky so a thin version of that is a normal figure. His chest also opens up to allow storage for his weapons.

To sidetrack for a moment, TFW's Fakebusker has, using Shapeways, made minicons for Soundwave. His designs for Rumble and Frenzy are extremely game accurate, extremely posable, and extremely awesome. All his minion designs fold up and can be stored, one at a time, inside Soundwave's chest. I HIGHLY recommend them. You can find links to them here:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-fan-art/384034-fakebuskers-shapeways-thread.html
    For example:
    [​IMG]

One last think about Fakebusker's actions. He is currently designing the War for Cybertron weapons which he will make available via Shapeways when he is ready. Thus far they look fantastic.

War for Cybertron Megatron is also a good figure but he has odd elbows and hands. His vehicle mode looks good but his transformation is rather simple. Both modes get the job done well but the transformation itself leaves some lacking. He is often repainted into Galvatron.

Bee is a solid figure but has been described as akin to origami. He has a backpack that is half his car mode but it isn't as bad as say the FE Vehicon. One problem for Bee is that he is taller than Optimus, or very nearly. So he is very over sized. Personally I mistransform his legs to make him shorter but it isn't the best solution. I do not love the mold and thus did not get Cliffjumper since he wasn't even in the game. I am slightly tempted to get one now that he is in Fall of Cybertron.

I cannot think of any other relevant information so I suppose this info dump is finished. I hope I have been helpful.

17. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    -without reading other posts-

Those are the only WFC ones, but I would suggest just getting FOC.
    FOC will probably have all the same ones (But in their FOC form, but those are the current models so what's wrong with that?) Except maybe Soundwave and Bumblebee, which are probably too big to go with FOC toys anyway since Bee was already huge and the FOC's are smaller than normal.
    If you could get two WFCs, I would suggest Bee and Soundwave. If only one, Soundwave.
    But that's besides the point.
    FOC will have a lot more toys than WFC, and also Starscream has no design change in FOC besides a few subtle mods to the upper arms and wings, and FOC will have a toy for him, so that guy will obviously be a good, and the only, representation of the Cybertron Games Starscream.

So, more simply, I wouldn't suggest trying to get WFCs except for Bumblebee and Soundwave, and all the FOCs are great representations of their characters, except for maybe Jazz's tiny legs.

18. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    has this been confirmed anywhere?

19. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Someone had brought a WFC Megatron to Toy Fair and took some photos. Here's a pic from who ever this was (sorry, I would give credit if I knew who did this).
    [​IMG]

20. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Holy shit. I didn't realize Starscream was confirmed! I just thought it was a rumor!