Educate me on importance of Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by FeelingLuckyPnk, Dec 30, 2011.

1. FeelingLuckyPnk

FeelingLuckyPnk Decepticon Punks!

Please excuse my lack of knowledge...

How significant is Shockwave in Transformers universe? Would he be on same level as Starscream? I don't know much about him other than what I saw in the movie: he's one bad-ass looking motha' and definitely needed more screen time. Also, given that Optimus knows about him, I assume he's a pretty high ranking decepticon.

[​IMG]

2. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

From my limited knowledge of G1, I shall paint a simple picture:

Far better at taking over as leader than Starscream, incredibly powerful enough to challenge Megatron with ease, supremely intelligent and competent, coldly logical and occasionally as silent as a terminator.

A real hardcore guy, basically.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Not to mention guardian of an entire planet ;) 

Basically, Shockwave in the cartoon was a boring nobody. But in the original Marvel comics? DAMN. Just search for the cover of "The Transformers #5" and that's all you need to know.

4. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    This this and these

5. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    What Meta said.

He didn't do much in Generation One. When the Decepticons left Cybertron, Megatron left Shockwave in charge. After that, he didn't do too much other than activate space bridges and shoot the occasional Autobot.

In the Marvel comics, and even in many of the more recent comics, Shockwave was/is portrayed as a cold, ruthless fighting machine. He challenges Megatron's place as leader, and unlike Starscream, often succeeds in overthrowing Megatron. What makes him even cooler in the IDW comics is that he has a rivalry with the Dinobots.

He did some good stuff in Animated too. He spied on the Autobots, using a second robot form under the identity of Longarm, and killed both Blurr and Ultra Magnus, and is mentioned to have killed other Autobots too.

6. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Well, seeing as how there are multiple versions of the character, any "knowledge" you wish to seek might contradict with something else. Best bet is to go to the TF Wiki site and look up the various versions: G1, Animated, Bayformers, etc.. Heck, within "G1" there's the animated series and the comic version which vary greatly, so... happy reading! :D 

Shockwave (disambiguation) - Transformers Wiki

7. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Typically he's a high ranking lieutenant of Megatron's, who is often entrusted to watch Cybertron while Megatron's away. He also is damn deadly. In Animated, (in my opinion his best portrayal), he has the honor of the highest death toll, including Blurr, Ultra the friggin Magnus, and Highbrow (he was meant to kill Beachcomber as well). In the films he's meant to be another deadly assassin, despite his minimal role. But perhaps his deadliest attribute is his immense intellect and guiding principle of logic, which dictates all of his actions across continuities, usually.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    He's bad enough for Optimus to mention by name. Not even Starscream ranks that high.

9. FeelingLuckyPnk

That's what I found interesting. I think Megatron and Shockwave are the only ones he mentiones in movies?

10. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

I recall reading that Megatron left him as dictator of the entirety of Cybertron once he'd left to search for cybertron, but Shockwave later disobeyed him and flew to earth, crashing into Chernobyl with the driller in tow.
    So, he's important enough to be left to control a planet, but he can get away with disobeying Megatron.

11. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    these are all great. i wanna do one!! :) 

one of megatrons elites. shockwave is megatrons "loyal" gaurdian. some consider him the actual second in command in the decepticon ranks instead of the sneaky backstabbing, and sometimes incompentent starscream. megatron has intrusted the safty of "his planet, "cybertron", to shockwave more than once. shockwave views megatron as a ruthless, valuble, cunning, and sufficient leader to the decepticon cause. but when those feelings die/died shockwave will overthrow/overthrew the decepticon leader. until his systems tell him that megatrons leadership is no longer helpful or logical to the decepticon cause, he will continue to serve megatron as his loyal gardian/hound/luteniet/ whatever you wanna call him.

shockwave is almost megatrons equal in almost every way. the only difference is that while selfish, power hungry reasons fuel megatron, logic is the only thing that fuels shockwave. megatrons emotions can sometimes cloud his judgement, shockwave simply computes every problem and battle so that he is the victor. if he loses, his systems go to work to figure out how and why he lost and how to not lose again, making him one of the best at hand-to-hand combat.

12. FeelingLuckyPnk

He's going to have a lot of trouble doing that with a ripped out spine and eye :D 

13. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

No he won't; he'll use his scientific skills to turn his eye into a thermo-detonation grenade, which he will use to blow up the Earth. And when aliens comes to fight him, he will use his own disembodied spine to hit them with until they die of bewilderment.

AND IT WILL BE GLORIOUS.

14. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

Raoereoowoeoroaghhhh!!!!!

15. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was going to chime in, being a huge Shockwave fanboy, but there's very little I could add that isn't already said here.
    The only additions are that in the G1 continuity, his cannon could emit anything from X- to gamma rays, and everything in between. He also didn't mass-shift. He was a big bot that turned into a big flying cannon. That alone proves his bad-assedness.

16. FeelingLuckyPnk

Is his arm-cannon permanently mounted or is it like Bumblebee's, the arm transforms into it?

17. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    In G1 I believe the cannon IS his arm, but in the bayverse, judging by the toy, he has an arm, and his cannon is optional. Although it might vary for the screen version itself

18. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

In the DOTM Game, we have a part in the final battle where Shockwave reveals a hand with which he grabs Optimus with. His cannon is like Bumblebee's in that it can fold into his arm to make a normal hand if he wants to

19. FeelingLuckyPnk

Ah, thanks.

So going by the Transformers lore, he is considered more powerful than Ironhide?

20. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well do you mean g1 or movie? Ironhide is a skilled fighter but shockwave is twice that. He's an extremely logical death machine. Read spotlight: shockwave to see him in all his glory