Educate me: Fan jokes I've never heard of.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SPLIT LIP, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    So, I was browsing TF Wiki (I do that frequently to get an idea of what I`ve missedd due to not being alive) and found several refences to toast regarding Ramjet and an odd fetish of Skywarps concerning stairs and pushing people down them.

Are these actual fan jokes or just the TF Wiki guy's jokes?

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh it's the hilarious doings of the comical geniuses that write the wiki. They're powered by hawaiian shirts and awesome IRC channels.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    ramjet and toast is from an old website of a person in a ramjet costume going after toast. that's all it is.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    So I'm guessing they're just doing it to try and sound funny? Okay then. Thanks.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A lot of that stuff seems to come out of the old days of common usage of alt.toys.transformers. Various people started or reused silly non-sequiter statements in their sigs and/or posts, and they were repeated to the point of losing all meaning, or at least the original meaning. LOL internet memes an' all that.

Ramjet likes toast
    Cheetor likes Pie
    Dinobot has a rigid grill structure
    ... and many, many more in this fine collection!

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think the guy that was the costumed Ramjet posted in here somewhere with some 'insightful background.'

But I'm not feeling like digging through to find the page, so I'll let you decide if it's worth it. If nothing else, the whole thing might explain some of the other jokes on the Wikia.

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26415

For the record, I don't care for the humor on the Wikia, but I do love the effort they've put into the thing.

7. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

I think the skywarp thing has to do with him likeing practical jokes. ill look in to it.

8. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

While I do see the effort put into the TF wiki, I simply can't stand all the in-jokes and so-called humour so rampant on it. Call me a wet blanket, but it just gives it a childish, frat-boy like tone I just don't care for.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I hear ya. Too imature and it distracts from the facts.

10. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Personal attacks are not allowed - 2005 Staff

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    personal attacks = bad

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Word.

And whatever your opinion of Walky is, suggesting that he 'runs' the Wikia and is therefore responsible for its jokes is a little silly. It's a Wiki. By definition, lots of people put those jokes in there--hell, just look at history pages.

A regular TFW poster, FitforNatalie, is an active contributor over there, and in fact, is a staunch defender of the humorous slant used. I admit I disagree with him about that, but that doesn't make him--or Walky, or any other contributors--the singular source of the tone.

I don't even feel that the humor detracts from the information. I can still go to a page and learn most everything I want to. I just don't think the particular style employed is funny.

13. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    The humour is fairly hit and miss. However I'd be lying if I said that I haven't on more than one occasion sat up sifting through pages just for the captions and guffawing. Hey, I got my user tag line from there!

14. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Maybe I'm just easily amused and have a low IQ, but I find a lot of the articles pretty amusing.

"In When Continents Collide, Megatron calls Soundwave a "blundering tape-filled idiot." This is notable because it is hilarious."

Skywarp's article is pretty funny, too.

It's also really informative - I only really know G1, so it's a great reference for non-G1 stuff.

Transformers = Serious Business?

15. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, it's not.

Utter, utter twaddle.

16. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I personally don't find the jokes funny but it does have some useful information so good for that.

17. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Now don't get me wrong, I love a good joke (or two or three) as much as the other guy. TFs have never been 'serious business', and in fact, I always favour portraying a more comical side to it. I prefer the cartoon Dinobots, and the G1 cartoon is an exercise in extreme cheesiness.

But as some here have said, the 'jokes' and style of humour employed in the wiki just isn't funny, and I use my analogy again, very 'frat boy' ish. While humour sprinkled in a wiki can be good, they choose to use a ton of in-jokes - possibly one of the worst kinds of 'humour' out there IMO. Few will get the said joke, and even fewer will care to do so, and it just ends up detracting from the wiki.

It's one thing to present the wonderful world of TFs in a light hearted, fun way. It's another to litter the entire thing with tons of 'jokes' and lines you and maybe a few friends find funny, but no one else gets. IMO, it just ends up being immature, gigglish and guffawish, distracting people from any information you have to provide, even if it is good.

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Ramjet does like toast but let's not forget"

"He tell me" as a answer for a request for source in a very heated exchange over the VA for Armada Prime.

"SEND THE BOOKS" a bad translation on a KO Prime package.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I love TF wikia. I've learned so much from it on G1 I'm considering changing my user title to something less anti-G1 like: "Holds G1 in semi-low regards" or " Dislikes G1 as a whole, but only because he counts season 3 and all the other japanese G1 manga and shows as G1, but has really nothing bad against the first two seasons of G1, 'cuz its classic and the coomics were cool."

I doubt the latter will fit, though.:p 

My only real problem with it is, there's so many in-jokes, I can't tell what's supposed to be funny, or whats being serious. (Hence, distinguishing fact, from gag)

20. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What's awesome is that they actually have a recording someplace of Dinobot giving a statement regarding his rigid grill structure. And there's a classic recording from one of the conventions as well, with Primal, Cheetor, and I think Rhinox going through the drive-through ordering window. Cheetor orders a pie, natch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.