Educate Me: DOTM Human Alliance Bumblebee (black car)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Reaper Cloud, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    Okay, since I am clueless about any Transformers outside of the new Prime/Cyberverse stuff...I was shocked to see that some Transformers were able to hold people inside of them! 0_0 The first toy that I saw with this feature was from Optibotimus and his Shockwave figure (that was canceled), and I really liked that car.

So, after looking around today online I saw that apparently they made more of these "Human Alliance" toys that had small humans that rode on/inside of the vehicles. The Bumblebee figure looked tolerable (for some reason the robot modes on the movie figures bother me), but he had two colors for the car. Either the basic yellow, or a black model.

It just reminded me of the 80's M.A.S.K. toys, since they had small people who rode inside of the vehicles, and they transformed...somewhat. :D 

I was disappointed to find out that neither Optibotimus nor Peaugh had a video review for the HA DOTM Bumblebee...so here I am, asking you guys (and gals if any exist here) about this figure. Would you say that it was a good Transformer? Does the Human gimmick work well? Would you say that the HA toys are designed better/worse than the current Prime RID toys?

This would be my first non-Prime figure, but from what I've seen, it looked very cool. So give me your opinions on this figure. Also, is the Soundwave HA DOTM figure completely canceled, or just not available in the U.S. (like the FE Prime figures ended up being).

Thank you for your replies.

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    youre talking about the black and yellow one right? just look for reviews for the normal HA Bumblebee, its a fantastic figure

and SW is available in Asia only

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    DotM Bee was just a repaint/re-release of RotF HA Bee. That was his first release. You might find a review of that one somewhere.

In all honesty, movie aesthetic aside, they are great toys. The best ones are Bumblebee and Barricade. If you get Bumblebee, there is a mod where you can have his legs turned around so that the wheels are on the outside instead of the inside. Looks much better, and only adds one new step to the transformation. A waist twist.

4. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

On Soundwave: He's been released by Takara, I know that much.

On Bumblebee: He's pretty solid. Despite having my ROTF one up for sale right now, he's not a purchase I regret. The HA gimmick is kind of meh, but it's cool to have all the toys in the series be roughly to scale with one another. His construction... I wouldn't say it's necessarily better or worse than the current PRID toys. You can probably find more on him by searching the Feedback/reviews board. Though, having had almost all the HA figures pass through my hands at some point, gotta say that Bee pales next to Jazz.

5. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    Jazz is also fantastic

6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Soundwave was released by Takara and Hasbro Asia. No western release. It's also an excellent figure if you happen to like his proportions. If you don't, it might just not be for you.

HA Bumblebee is a good toy, but maybe not the best human alliance. Definitely can't go wrong with him, however.

Barricade and Jazz are just superb, you just can't be dissapointed in them.

7. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    I've never been impressed with Bumblebee's HA at all. I think it's blocky and awful-looking. So much so, that I returned it, even though I only bought it for $12.

Some of the others are pretty great though. Jazz is probably the best of all of them (one of the best Transformers made in recent years I'd go so far to say). Skids, Roadbuster, and Barricade are all pretty solid as well. Sideswipe and Leadfoot seem to be taste-specific. Some people like SS, others hate him. I'm personally alright with him. Leadfoot has not been in my possession long enough to tell if I like him or not.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    HA Bumblebee was, for a while, largely considered the best movie Bumblebee. Jazz is, IMO, the best, and for you, his robot mode is a lot more traditional. Honestly some of the finest are the Twins. The two stupid guys get the best toys, but you'll probably not like their abstract designs.

9. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the info. :)  Wasn't aware that Bumblebee had a HA version for the second movie.

I'll have to watch the videos for Jazz and for Bumblebee (since I'll find him now). It's good to know that Soundwave HA is available still...I just need to see how much he costs. lol

10. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    BB is Good

11. Dark Neptune

Dark Neptune Autocon

It's good, but I would rather recommend you to save the cash for more Prime figures.

12. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    The entire HA line is great (I don't have Leadfoot or Soundwave, though). I think the best one is Jazz, with Roadbuster and Barricade close behind. Right about now you should be able to find some (most likely Stealth Bumblebee, Leadfoot, and Roadbuster) on clearance at Target for about $15.

13. snoopcow

snoopcow Yara Naika?

HA black bumble bee is now less than 14 bucks in my backwater asian country..

free if you buy HA roadbuster

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally consider the HA Bumblebee one of the weakest in the line, but that's just me. I'm just not a fan of how hollow he feels, the springy chest bits are annoying as hell, and I simply don't have any fun transforming him.

That's not saying he's a bad toy, mind you, but I don't find enjoyment out of him like I do the others.

The best is hands-down Jazz, followed by a 3-way tie of Skids, Mudflap, and Soundwave for me. Sideswipe is dead last. Don't have the Wrecker duo to pass judgment.

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I also like the black Mudflap (or Skids, whichever dotm one is a little black car), as well as the HA Sideswips too. Soundwave is nice too, but he's too rich for my energon at the moment.

16. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Human alliance figures-

Jazz does seem to generally be regarded as the best of the line (and I certainly agree).

They made:
    BB (I'd rank him at a 4 out of 10- some would rank him much higher)
    Sideswipe (I'd rank 9 of 10- seems to be love it or hate it though and lots hate him)
    Skids (toy 9- very nice execution- bay design 3)
    Barricade (8 out of 10)
    Mudflap (toy 8- bay design 2)
    Jazz (10- some have called him one of the best transformers ever)
    Roadbuster (7)
    Leadfoot (official transformation 5, popular fan mods 8)
    Soundwave (8, 10 if you paint him)

There were also 2 or 3 lines related to Human Alliance that existed before the movies. Alternators (cheap unpainted american line), and Binaltech (expensive painted Japanese versions- mostly the same molds). These were 1/24th scale licensed model cars that turned into bots. The car modes were arguably the nicest, most realistic transformer alt modes ever produced. Some had working steering, most had opening hood/trunk and all had opening doors with detailed interiors far superior to HA line. HA figures could fit into a couple of these, but results will vary.

The bot modes were heavily G1 inspired, but usually not exact G1 matches- more clever updates. Robot modes/sculpts were mostly very nice for the time they came out (and got better as the line progressed), but don't compare with some of the best stuff to come down the line in recent years. Sadly the bots aren't as nice as the cars. There is no question HA was an attempt to continue this line on after it was killed. The HA cars aren't as nice as these car modes were.

They made quite a few of these things. Some of my favorites were:

Mirage (alternator)
    Optimus Prime (Binaltech- some people hate this one)
    Ravage (jaguar version) (alternator)
    Jazz (Binaltech) (called Meister due to copyright issue)

The other line I spoke of was called Alternity (different from alternators). Japanese only line. Basically they took the Binaltech's and shrunk them down to deluxe size while keeping the paint, fantastic detail, detailed interiors, opening hood/trunk/doors.

This line benefited from the improvements in sculpts of more recent years. These just might be the best transformers ever made (except they never satisfied me as much as I expected them to). There were a total of 4 molds (each has had too many repaints). Convoy (prime), Megatron, BB/CJ, and the seekers as a weird Japanese sports car.

Because of the tiny size and enormous complexity this line has had lots of fijity fragile transformations, and quite a few QC problems. But they were so incredible that the fans largely forgave these issues.

17. Slip►Stream

Slip►Stream Seeker Clone

News Credits:
    I find Jazz, Roadbuster and Barricade to be the best of the line, followed by the twins.
    Leadfoot is pretty good if you take the time to miss-transform him properly if that makes any sense.
    Soundwave is cool but very inaccurate. He has way too much kibble on his arms and I believe all that bulk should have been somehow engineered into the legs instead.
    Bee is a good toy on his own, but just like Soundwave, he has very inaccurate legs and somewhat bothering arm kibble.
    Sideswipe is probably the worst of the line mainly because he has no knee nor feet articulation whatsoever. His back kibble is pretty bad too. Lastly, you must be very careful at getting everything properly aligned in alt mode to get enough clearance for him to roll fine. He's not a terrible toy mind you, just not as good as the others.

Overall, almost all of them with the exception of SS are great toys.

18. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I know I'm repeating what others have said, but Jazz may just be one of the best transformers ever; the transformation is complex but not difficult, the details and accuracy is astounding, and it got one of the best paint jobs.

Bumblebee feels more like an early effort that got a little too caught up in the line gimmick.

19. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    The ROTF Human Alliance stuff is really damn good. HA Bumblebee is probably the best movie Bumblebee figure out there. If you can get them for a reasonable price, HA Barricade, Jazz, and even the ROTF twins are great figures. I hate the twins to death, but I'll readily admit their HA toys are fantastic toys.

I echo the opinions on Sideswipe. He's the weakest of the HA toys, and one that I might end up giving up when I liquidate all of my movie stuff. I love the alt mode but he's something I can really do without.

20. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To add more about Alternators, if you look past the movie style bot designs of HA then the alt mode of the two lines work well.

And I know the OP was talking about HA Soundwave when he wrote Shockwave, but just because I'm picky I want to point out the there is a Shockwave car in scale with the HA line and it was reviewed by Peaugh: Alternators Shockblast (Shockwave) - YouTube