Economy and Employment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrhillz, Sep 20, 2009.

1. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Well, I don't know if I should blame the economy, but I've been unemployed since december. Has anyone else here or have friends/family been without a job for quite some time and is kinda wondering if the whole economy has something to do with it at this point? I'm just curious to be honest.

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I've been unemployed since August of '08. I chalk it up to supply and demand. There are more job seekers than jobs at the moment and that's not going to change for awhile. I can't even get a part time job because they know I'll just quit when I find something more permanent.

I've heard stories where companies will post a job opening and within the first 24 hours, they'll get hundreds of applications. That's just too much for anybody to deal with and unless yours is one of the first 10 they receive, they won't even look at you.

They say your network will find you a job, but mine has barely lifted a finger beyond "we'll keep our ears open for you." That's incredibly annoying.

Monster and Career Builder and those types of sites are pretty worthless. I've had more luck getting interviews from Craigslist than anything else.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a couple friends on unemplyment for a while now. It was the economy that caused one of them, and the other had a contract that ran out and he has been... less then motivated to look for real work. The thing is, there's two factors as to why the first isn't getting work- he keeps applying for jobs that he isn't truly qualified for and then he is also lazy. Of course, the laziness is probably why he won't apply for anything with a more reasonable chance of getting hired.

The second guy decided to work on his own projects while getting unemployment. Yes, he does his mandantory online applications weekly, but he really doesn't take them seriously or even expecting call backs.

Both these guys are abusing the system and helping to hurt the economy. I have an incredible work ethic so this has actually caused problems in our friendships. Somehow the system needs to be revamped, but honestly if went any further then that, the thread would get too political if it isn't too political already.

That is also not to say that if they really were trying to get employed they could, but they really aren't trying.

4. msterling21

msterling21 Well-Known Member

Things will get worse in 2010, don't believe what they're saying on TV about any recovery.

5. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

I'm of the opinion if someone really, really wants a job they can get one. Sure someone might consider said job beneath them. But if people want to work they can find it. I've seen it first hand... and most of the time it is because the person is lazy or simply doesn't want to do a "demeaning" job. Not saying that is the case with you though. And I'm sorry but to be completely honest almost anyone under 25 years old can get a job... just see your local recruiter.

And yeah, recovery my ass. There hasn't been a recovery economically anywhere that I have seen or read about. Jobs still aren't being created like was promised with the stimulus package. I don't foresee things getting better until at least 2011. Just because the DOW has went up doesn't mean people are finding jobs, and let gas hit $4.00 a gallon again, and what little recovery the politicians and news channels want to brag about will vanish.

6. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

My brother-in-law has been. Had his own painting company. Many people chose to paint thier own houses/interiors when money gets tight.

He's picked up the odd job here and there but his love his painting.

7. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    My neighbor just got laid off yesterday, really sad.

I told him if there is anyhelp he needs we won't be far away. (Literally).

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I haven't been able to find any jobs in my area because of the economy. My only option is to attend college and get a degree.

My mom is working two different jobs just to make ends meet. During the day, she works as head cook at the middle school in our school district (for as long as school is in session), and at night she works at a local pizza and ice cream parlor. She used to be a night manager at a party store whose owner ended up letting her go shortly after Thanksgiving last year, and he ended going bankrupt; the party store is now empty and in the bank's hands.

My brother was fired from his very first job, but that was because he didn't take his boss's crap and his boss fired him after they were in an argument. It wasn't until last year come spring that he managed to get a job with the bus garage in our school district. He was trained to drive a bus, came on board as a substitute driver and then as a bus monitor for one of the buses carrying special needs kids. He's now a full-time bus monitor, and he does the occasional trip that nobody else wants to do. Just this past week he ended up doing all these sporting trips nobody at the garage signed up for. He loves the job.

9. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Being overqualified for a position can prevent you from getting a "demeaning" job as well though. See this:

This happened to me several times earlier this year before I got an internship in my field. The economy is a major reason I'm going to graduate school, and hopefully by the time I graduate the job market will be better. I do agree that if all else fails one can join the military (or sooner if that's their choice.)

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Doubtful the military would ever accept me.

11. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

I was let go form the "company (shudder)" that I worked for for three and a half years almost one month ago, so I understand where most of you are coming from. The job market here is absolutely horrid and most good jobs are receiving hundreds and hundreds of apps. I am currently waiting on my Unemployment Benefits to take effect, and damn am I sick of eating ramen (well, kinda...) and pasta...

End of Line

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Originally I did believe what I say on the TV...but now, I'll believe some random person on the internet instead! ;) 

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't know that anyone could get a job. It's easy to blame people for being lazy or resistant to doing demeaning work, but the bottom line is that there are only Y jobs available for X people. If Y > X...then some folks simply can't get a job.

And I'm sorry, but to be completely honest, the economy tanking has resulted in the military having a glut of unskilled applicants. Unless you bring a unique skill set to us, you're definitely not guaranteed a job offer. Hell, the Marines, AF, and Navy have been meeting their quotas for a while now and turning less desirable potential recruits away, and the Army is getting there also.

I kinda like it, actually. Now instead of being everybody's last resort, we can be selective!

That's an excellent option and good on you for pursuing it. Many folks go back to college when the economy goes to shit, which positions them to capitalize on opportunities when there's a recovery! :thumb 

14. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm on the other end of things- we get 50-60 applications a week. We certainly don't call all of them for interviews. Good availability, a complete application, a good first impression, and nothing weird on the ap will probably get you an interview with us. But, we weed out about half the applications within 30 seconds of them being handed in. As an employer, it's a good time for us- we can hold out for the best.

15. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I work for Chick-fil-a as one of the managers and we're seeing a rise in applications. Not doing a lot of hiring right now because we're keeping a full crew. Our operator's been in business for 29 years and says he's never really seen this many applications at one time.

Still, as I've been looking to move on, but haven't had much luck on that. Putting in lots of applications but haven't got any calls back.

16. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I would tell you who I blame for this whole mess. I have a few names, and then a few names who should have been watching the situation and then a few names higher than them. But I don't want to get into politics here.

And I mean that is even before the blanks started giving blanks to people who couldn't blank them, and just started a whole spiraling effect. But I can blame the blanks who did give these blanks to the blank.

I didn't say anything political related at all.

17. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    A few jobs are out there, but they really do require doing scrub work as a nobody before you get to be an anybody. I know that a local road construction type company is hiring, but only for "get in the hole bitch" laborers, and that's not an esteemed position.

18. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

I just hope those blanks that you are blaming go back more than just a few years. Alot of what happened and is happening to this economy had the seeds planted well over a decade ago. Also let us not forget to blame the American Consumer... many of which were living far beyond their means anyway.

19. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes the blame from many years ago, are the first blurb of blanks, the more recent problem is the 2nd blurb. That is what I meant when I said "even before".

20. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I've been unemployeed since Novemeber of last year. Had a few contract jobs a while back for a large IT company that shall remain nameless but nothing since. Was hoping to get on full time with that company, they offered the job and then wouldn't return phone calls or emails. Been alot of that bullshit. Or jobs that I could do in my sleep and they want someone with a different background. Planning on going back to school in Jan. Not that a degree is worth squat nowadays considering I have one and 11 years of experience in my field. Had a friend with a masters loose his job.