Heavy/Scratch: Echotransformer's Predaking thigh and waist extension kit available on Shapeways!!!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by echotransformer, Sep 23, 2012.

1. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am very pleased to announce that my G1 Predaking kit is now available on Shapeways:

Predaking upgrade kit V2 1 by echotransformer on Shapeways

How does it work?

The kit is available from Shapeways, and it creates a substantial change in height to Predaking by adding thigh extensions and a waist extension. Consisting of 9 parts, you can transform your Predaking from stumpy to magestic in a few easy steps.

Both the thigh and waist extensions pivot, for better posing. Most importantly, the thigh extensions move the entire upper torso of Predaking forward 10mm for better stability. He even stands with Crazydevy wings! In addition, I've created arm extensions for Razorclaw so he looks more proportionate in robot mode.

Here's a video: http://youtu.be/hM7tscNnqyc

Here's a picture of the kit:

predaking_parts.jpg

You'll need to disassemble Razorclaw to install the kit. It makes use of the original spring and will ratchet at the waist:

razorclaw3.jpg

Okay, here are some pics of the parts installed, prior to painting:

razorclaw4.jpg

predaking_2.jpg

Once he's painted up, I added some offcut gold labels and here's the result:

razorclaw1.jpg

razorclaw2.jpg

predaking_1.jpg

As with all Shapeways, if you do intend to purchase please use caution during installation. Clean, re-clean, and clean the parts again. Go slowly, don't damange your Predaking, and contact me if you have any issues. I've fiddled with these quite a bit and I know all the ins and outs.

Also released tonight is my brand new kit for Hercules:

herc_predaking1.jpg

If you're also interested in that project, go here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/645778-hercules-rage-upgrade-elbows-12.html

Or buy the kit from Shapeways: Herc Upgrade Kit V3 by echotransformer on Shapeways

All the best,

Echotransformer

2. echotransformer

reserved

3. necr0blivion

necr0blivion Active Member

I found this thread by first seeing the comparison picture next to Hercules. Bravo on giving Predaking a much needed lift, and better balance with the CD wings! This may be my first purchase from Shapeways, but it's great to know that there's finally an answer to the stumpiness.

4. shadeozero

shadeozero Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow he fits with hercules so well now tkae it some cravy devy pieces will help as well, what would make him amazing is if you come up with some shapeways pieces to add articulation to the main g1 robots simple stuff like shoulder,elbow, knee, ball joint at upperthigh where leg would attach. Also when do you think this predaking kit will come out of Beta as you stated?, did you have any diffuculty assembling it? and finally what material do you reccomend?

all in all I love this and now you have given me a reason to buy predaking.

5. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    Great job man, I can't wait to pick these up. Where did you get the gold stickers? Also, what's the best material to order?

6. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Pretty cool, makes me wish I hadn't got rid of my Predaking

7. malcontentman

malcontentman Cybertronian James Cagney TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Thanks for this! This kit is perfect. 'Heads over to Shapeways...'

8. echotransformer

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :) 

If purchasing, here are my material recommendations:
    -if you don't like to paint, and don't mind a 'matte black' look, buy the 'Black Strong and Flexible' and a gold paint marker to paint in the dots and go!
    -if you want the parts to match well with Predaking, buy the 'white strong and flexible', get some automotive Primer (fast drying) and Krylon gloss black.
    -wash the parts thoroughly (you may need a toothpick to get some of the powder out)
    -do a test fit
    -sand the visible surfaces (400-600 grit sandpaper)
    -mask the connection points using painter's tape
    -prime with the primer (light coat)
    -sand lightly, keep the connection points masked
    -paint with Krylon
    -use a gold paint marker for the dots, and offcuts from Reprolabels or the original Predaking labels for the trim.

Craft stores may also sell gold foil that you can use for the trim.

It's a bit of effort as you can see but it's quite easy and the results turn out factory-fresh!

Cheers,

Echo

9. echotransformer

Bump--added video that provides better detail how the kit works.

10. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hate to bump this, but do you have any shots of him without the "upgrade" kits only your kit?

11. echotransformer

Sure, it's not the greatest picture but it will give you a good idea (the parts are unpainted):

[​IMG]

And here's without the insane wings:

[​IMG]

12. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looks great. thanks!

13. adean

adean Well-Known Member

Awesome upgrade! I think when you add the waist extension to predaking you need to have the arm extensions on razorclaw. Is it possible to make a piece to cover that area that can plug into the exposed razorclaw hands? A piece going from one hand to the other. This way you can hide the hands and the waist extension.

14. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone got this done in Polished WST? Curious if there is any issues.

Also does anyone know how to fix the sagging shoulders on prediking? Its REALLY bad on my 2010 version.

15. echotransformer

Both of these are good suggestions...it would be possible to make plates that go into Razorclaw's hands or I was also considering making flaps that fold out of Razorclaw's waist to reduce the parts forming. This same part can help the sagging too! (that is assuming you're talking about Razorclaw's yellow arms collapsing towards the torso)

But to be honest this kit hasn't sold well at all, so I've not spent time on the new parts...but I have been making fixes for the Crazydevy parts, especially the new thighs which don't ratchet properly:

Echotransformer Crazy Devy CDMW 36 hip and leg fix - YouTube

But if interest picks up again, I could see making some new parts...

I think you mean "WSF"...I think that should work fine, though again with so few purchases I don't have a long history or variety of people testing it...

16. AmonDemon112

AmonDemon112 Demon General

News Credits:
    I'm curious to see this upgrade kit with the crazy devy waist & thigh upgrade kit!

17. chroma23

chroma23 douchbag

Facebook:
    Hi, i took the plunge this past weekend and ordered echotransformer's predaking parts. i too have the crazy devy thigh and crotch parts (and all the other CD predaking parts) so maybe after a few weeks when the parts arrive i can assemble all the CD and echotransformer parts and see how tall predaking gets, unless echotransformer posts a photo first

18. Cliffbee

Cliffbee Well-Known Member

This is a cool project. I've never owned a G1 Predaking, but I know enough about it to know that this upgrade really changes Predaking's look for the better.

Great job!

19. Sigmalock

Sigmalock Decepticon

Firstly echotransformer, thanks for your clarification over at the Collection Kingdom G1 Predaking Upgrade thread (#69).

Secondly, I suggest you post more pictures like the above on the front page of this thread, highlighting the unpainted Black version (with and without the CrazyDevy/Collection Kingdom upgrades).

Because while I liked the look of your White version to start with, I must admit that I initially baulked at the idea of buying it and then having to paint it.

But when I saw that there was a Black version which required minimal painting - and which looks great on Predaking as it is - I jumped at it, and have now ordered. I suspect others may too.

I may not even bother with the CrazyDevy/Collection Kingdom upgrades (although I'm leaning towards getting the latter).

Regardless, thanks echo; can't wait to receive it!

20. echotransformer

Hey Sigmalock, great suggestion and a big thanks for the support! Let me know how the parts turn out. :)