Echelon, sci-fi air combat.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DaggersRage, May 6, 2008.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

This isnt a new game and has been out for years, but I was just talking to a coworked about this game and wondered if anyone here has ever played this game or has it.

Basically it's a air combat game but set on an alien planet. You all sorts of different fighters and bombers and the combat is pretty agressive, and the explosions are neat. The plot aint nothing grand and the story telling is almost non existant but I feel the game play makes up for that.

If anyone has it would you want to play?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never heard of it (though the name sounds familiar). But it sounds something right up my alley. There hasn't been a good space shooter in quite a while. On the console end, I miss the Colony Wars series.

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

It's not a space shooter though. It's all on a planet, with rivers, moutains and things to crash into.

The game's not exactly a simulator, controlling your craft is not complex, but the game follows a sort of physic properties. If your right wing is blown off, you drift to the right, if your tail fin is out, you dont have yaw.

Whats sort of strange about the game is the 3 catagories of craft you fly, fighter, interceptor, and bomber. Not so strange sounding yet, but hold on.

Fighters and Bombers have a downward thrust and dont perform the same as you normally would in most games, yes they still fly forward, but these craft also turn sharper but slide around as well. If you want, you can make fighters + bombers hover in place. I like to wait in canyons so I have cover from missiles, then pop out and "snipe" the enemy using my heavy cannons.

Interceptors are fast but basic, they only have their forward thrust, an interceptors speed is what makes them deadly, they're my favorite class of fighters because I can handle them better.

EDIT: Forgot to add that this is actually a PC game. They a 2nd game released called Echelon: Wind Warriors. I want to say that it's better than the 1st Echelon, the combat is more agressive and eveything but the game's campaign missions a FUCKED!!! The missions are serously bugged, and somtimes it takes too long to travel distances even with accelerated time on. I'll complete objectives wihtout the game giving me ok saying that it's complete. So I'll land and I get MISSION FAILED! Argh.