Ebert still isn't done with the movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sideswipe1954, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Roger Ebert's Journal: Archives

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I wonder if he remembers that he liked the first one.

3. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

and so the drumbeat for a new director/direction begins......
    this review was rough, but kinda deserved.

4. jadtdt

jadtdt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I disagree with all of that, it makes for an enjoyable, readable review.

That worked out to my benefit - made it a lot harder to hear the seven-year-olds two rows back.
    That surprised me on a few occasions. Maybe because I was seated in the far right, but it sounded like it was coming from someone shouting in the audience.
    Haha he hates young people

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I love how he says "I've traced the history of Starscream from 1984...", he doesn't seem to realize Starscream hasn't been the EXACT SAME BACKSTABING POWER MONGER from G1, a few examples come to mind, like Armada Starscream and SG Starscream, who are both for the most part unlike G1 Starscream with the exception of the jet mode.

6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I kinda agree with Ebert, except for 1 single big point : he puts the blame on the designs ...and whether you like em or hate em, that argument is false.

As a film critic he should know ; that any shape or form can be portrayed wonderfully in film ... provided that the camera shots, fight coordination & editing work : and that's imo, where ROTF partially failed.

7. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I can summarise what he feels

1 it costs to much to make

2 I dont like how they look

3 I dont like bay

4 I dont like the typical structure of action movies

8. Coolyfett

Coolyfett Well-Known Member

My thing about Ebert is he is an old school cat. Many old schoolers have a major issue with people wasting their hard earned money on this kid of movie. That is why they wait till the summer time to release this kind of garbage. Because kids do not know the difference. The kids are also out of school with nothing to do but to ask there parents to see Transformers over and over again. The movie will make a lot of money, but many do not want to see the movie make a lot of money. That is why Ebert is attacking it again. This movie is going to give that poor man a stroke if he doesn't try to ignore its existents. He just needs to close his eyes and ears for a few months and it will all be over. Until TF3 comes out.

9. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

V:

If he didn't just barely mention it here, I'd wonder if he'd forgotten about TF07 altogether!

The general negativity about the robots is weird, too, given that he said this last time:

Now they make "no functional or aesthetic sense"? This is the same guy?

It almost feels like he is embarassed at being 'drawn in' by the first one.

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Did he just compare the movie to Spider-Man 2 and The Dark Knight or am I reading that wrong?

11. A_U_T_O_B_O_T

A_U_T_O_B_O_T G1 Fan

People like him are the exact reason why I never listen to professional reviews. Ebert could have cut it down to 3 paragraphs and instead he rants on and on using that article to vent, thus making it hard for me to take him seriously.

Is it just me or is there something wrong expecting Transformers to have strong human performances?

12. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

this is all i hear from him

13. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    I don't care about people like him he is an adult I am 13 my friend the same age as me told me how awesome the movie was today. He doesn't even like Transformers and he said its much better then the first. I just have a different perceptive when it comes to movies then critics the plot is not to important to me. It doesn't have to be Darren Shan witting to me as long as it has a story I can easily follow I'm fine. God now I sound like little child.

14. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

He's talking about the physical appearance of the characters who bear that name. Not the characterization. And his whole point was that the appearance changed over the years.

No, they SHOULD have strong human performances. Humans voice them for the most part, after all. Cullen usually brings his "A" game; problem is, the movies rarely give him any character development to work with.

15. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

A:

Might he have gone on so long out of disappointment? He did seem to like the first one, and maybe he felt something was missing this time.

As for the human performances, maybe we can read that as "character" performances. Ebert liked Wall-E a lot.

16. Coolyfett

Coolyfett Well-Known Member

You are 13 and you are not a child??

AMAZING!

17. Laughing Man

Laughing Man Not crossing the streams.

News Credits:
    Best part of the review:

Todd Gilchrist of Cinematical...says "this must be the most movie I have ever experienced."

Ha! I love that. And it's so true. Love the movie or hate the movie - it was definitely the most movie I have ever experienced. Quite the sensory overload.

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Roger Ebert is a funny guy. I thoroughly enjoyed his exchange with Vincent Gallo over The Brown Bunny a few years ago.

19. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Are you implying 13 is a child? Did you somehow miss the "teen" in Thirteen? lol

20. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    when you look at this review, and then see his review for the first transformers, it is VERY clear that all the whining critics are doing is unjustified. all the things they liked about the first one were still there, just a lot more of it. if they don't like that, that's fine. but that's what i and probably a million others wanted to see in this movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.