Ebay

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by lazerrodphill, May 14, 2008.

1. lazerrodphill

lazerrodphill Well-Known Member

When you see outrageus prices for transformers does that usually mean someone has their boy win the item because they did'nt like the price they were going to get. I saw a complete seacon set no box or techspecs go for 360.00 that seems high

2. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Nope. It usually just means someone is willing to pay that much.

Tranformers remain the hottest toy line to collect. I don't see that slowing down for a while.

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that does seem a bit high. Still, sometimes it's just noobs or plain idiots getting into a bidding war and than, other times, items may just legitimately be that much.

Of course, I could make a more educated decision on the particular auction you're talking about if you linked to it? I mean where they the G1 Seacons, BW Seacons or the new Club Exclusive Seacons (which aren't out yet, but production samples show up on eBay). What shape were the individual figures themselves in?

Exactly.

4. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    ebay. It's to cutthroat over a few dollars. A set price saves me a lot of stress.

If you want online transformers toy shopping though the junkion exchange here at tfw2005 has been very awesome for my money, often even with shipping I pay less then retail.

5. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When prices go crazy it seems to me you usually have two or more people who get in to a bidding war. It's like they decide "I'm not gonna let this guy beat me" and they keep bidding no matter the price. I love watching this happen and an item goes to high for me and I just go to another auction for the same thing 5 minutes later and get it way cheaper.

I watched a loose G1 Divebomb with no paperwork go for $170 one time.

6. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I've seen Piranacon fetch that price before. Considering it's a later G1 item and how many accessories are involved, i'm not surprised it fetches that kind of price.

Shill bidding is a potential factor, but even if they could measure it exactly, eBay would never disclose it's full extent.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    $360 for a complete Piranacon isn't that outrageous, esp given what the giftset goes for.

Now you want to see something outrageous check this out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMER-SPR...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mind you that just the EMPTY box :rolleyes: 

Oh and if you want a really good laugh here's another Empty box auctions:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMER-BLA...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and for $0.99 more that same buyer could have had this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-G1-Tran...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:lolol  is all I can say

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  8. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    Totally agree with the part about emotional bidding wars, I'll usually bid my highest amount I'm comfortable paying with and let it run its course.

Local eBay scalpers have really taken off since the movie, to date I still have the image of seeing a loose original colour movie Ironhide gone for RM900+ ($280ish). If only I'd saved that auction for future amusements...

Last edited: May 14, 2008