Ebay - when cash is sent thru registered mail?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by doubleclouderr, Jan 21, 2009.

1. doubleclouderr

doubleclouderr ROTF, hell yea!

Hi guys

I have sold off a TF toy for US$1400 and the buyer claims not to have paypal as he exceeded his limits..not sure what he meant by this but anyway..he had claim to have send me cash.

I have waited for 2 weeks already but the cash sent via registered mail has yet to reached me. I have emailed the buyer 2 days ago but he had not replied.

Assuming the buyer still do not reply, and assuming my cash will not be coming, what are the consequences on ebay?

can someone give some tips and advice? Thanks!!!

2. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    sending $1400 cash by reg. mail?????? man, that's tricky.

3. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Paypal place a limit on the amount you can send/receive. It increases if you're verified/confirmed. Lots of activity on your Paypal account can also result in a limit being placed on it for that month, sounds crazy, eh? You give them lots in fees, and they stop you using them.

As such your buyer could be truthful regarding having a limit on his Paypal spending.

However, with the amount involved, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be suspicious. $1400 is a LOT of cash to put in the mail. Cash can't be insured in the post, so if it goes missing, there's no recompense.

If you don't get a response or payment from the buyer, to avoid a neg from them, you'll need to open a 'payment not received' dispute. I think that stops the buyer being able to neg you (you can't of course leave a neg these days).

I'm sure someone will provide more details about this.

4. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    He probably never actually sent it. Registered Mail has a tracking number. If he did send it, then he should be able to send you the tracking number.

5. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Yeah. He shouldn't have anything to hide if he has the tracking rite? Funny chap..

6. doubleclouderr

thanks for the advice guys! i really appreciate it lots!

In fact I have already packed the toy and everything, just waiting to receieve the cash. Of cause, I will wait a little longer. My question is.. is there a possibility that the dispute results in such a way that I have to compensate the buyer? I mean I am not very familiar with the ebay system but basically, all I know is I never lie or give false info! But you know..sometimes life is unfair! =/

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Correct.
    I doubt he sent you the money d00d; like MG said, if he sent it registered he'd have a tracking number. And if he's potentially losing $1400 he'd have already given you that number by now and made his own enquiries. He'd also be able to verify if it had been delivered to you, by checking that number online with the carrier, so if he can't do that I would say he has no way to force you to give him the money, ebay or not. I'd open a dispute with eBay pronto, if I were you.

8. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Worst case scenario is you get a neg from him, unless he can prove via the tracking no. that you received the cash there's no way or provision under ebay's rules for you to end up having to compensate him in any way.

You should open the dispute, it can stay open for a while (I forget how long, 30 days off the top of my head?), but it's long enough for the cash to possibly appear.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  9. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    You can close the dispute on the 8th day after opening it. I'm a little out of touch with selling on eBay, but the rule may still be if the buyer responds to the dispute through eBay - regardless of the response - but doesn't provide proof of payment, he'll get the NPB strike but retain his ability to leave whatever feedback he wishes. However if he doesn't respond by the time you close the dispute, he's blocked from leaving any feedback.

10. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Like Draven said, you won't have to compensate the buyer if payment never reaches you. That's the buyer's responsiblity. Plus, forced-refunds are really more of an issue with Paypal, not with other forms of payment.

Cash-through-mail is really more of a problem for buyers, since they don't have a record of a cashed check or paypal receipt or anything else that shows the amount of money being sent. The seller can just lie and say "I never got it", and the buyer's hands are tied, because he has no evidence to the contrary that the envelope had cash in it.

On the other hand, both buyers and sellers can get scammed with Paypal.

So don't worry too much about it. Just start the dispute if he doesn't get back to you, follow through with it to the end, and then you'll be fine.

11. doubleclouderr

thanks everyone for their inputs!!!

i have lost hope already..i mean he is not reply to my emails. That is quite frustrating.

:( 

12. Galvatro

Galvatro Make mine Animated! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Hello All!

Doubleclouderr, I have to ask this- why didn't the buyer send MO's? You can't put that much on one, but 3 or so would have taken care of it. Western Union and others like-retailers have International MO's that can be sent without taking the risk of cash thru the mail.

After 2 weeks and no word, I would file the Payment Not Received and go from there. This situation stinks...hope you get some resolution.

Galvatro

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Bingo. 2 weeks is plenty enough time for this guy to at least bother to reply to you.

14. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Crazy question - I'm assuming the buyer was in the US here - what's the max. you can withdraw from ATMs in a day? (if there's a limit). $1400 seems like a LOT of cash to have to hand...

15. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

Normally in the US the ATM limit is $200-$300 per day, but I have seen others with more, but this is very rare and probably depends on what bank you use. Definitely, if I was sending money through the mail, I would send a Postal money order(or a few of them), which gives you a receipt and you can tell if someone has cashed it other than you or the recipient. I would never send cash through the mail, ever. Methinks the winner has never sent the payment, and has jilted you. I would be entering a nonpaid strike immediately so you don't get charged the seller fees, because I'm sure they're pretty high with a $1400 bid.

16. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Me thinks that you should file a non payment dispute and offer it to the next highest bidder. Maybe at a slight discount? And accept payment through paypal only. Even though paypal really sucks. But that's another story all together.

17. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    Grimlock/Doubleclouderr, maybe you should just stick to using Paypal next time.

18. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    B of A let's me take $650 a day...they love me...with a sledge hammer you can take even more :lolol 

seriously it is usually a couple hundred a day...i can yank $650 a day..but i have banked with them since the early 1990's/ so they do like my ass..not that i have $650 extra each day to yank :cry 

19. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Request his member info and call him up!

20. Galvatro

Galvatro Make mine Animated! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't think that the ATM would be a problem. He could have just withdrawn $1400 from his bank account with a visit to a teller in his bank. I still think this is a scam and that the buyer is really stupid for even thinking about sending that sum of money thru the mail, Registered or otherwise. As other posts have mentioned, a few MO's from USPS or wherever would have taken care of the problem to complete the payment.

I just really hate to read stories where honest sellers have shitty bidders/winners on EBay :mad 

Galvatro