ebay vs. paypal buyer protection--which to use?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by ckhtiger, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I need everyone's help with something that is unfolding. I recently bought a big gi joe vehicle, the rolling thunder, on ebay. it was listed as only missing one antenna, but when I got it, it was also missing two missiles, a wheel was broken off, and another missile had a mounting tab stuck in it.

I paid $50 +$20 shipping for it, and told the seller that I wanted a refund of $10 to get new missiles (their rate on ebay) as well as $15 because there were two broken spots on the vehicle, and it wasn't as described. now granted, that $25 I'm asking for is half of what the actual bin price was, but the vehicle was listed at like half of the cost of the other ones on ebay, which is why I bought it in the first place.

the seller doesn't want to refund me any money, instead he wants me to ship it back to him for a refund. however this thing is HUGE and it would cost me like $20 to ship back, in which case I'd be out that money AND not have the vehicle. I'm afraid I'm going to have to open some sort of case against him, even though I really don't want to. if I do, I'm wondering if there's a best way to make a claim, and what the differences are in both paypal and ebay. also, do you guys think I'm being reasonable? thanks!

2. Asterios

Asterios Well-Known Member

problem is the seller has you even here, if you file a NAD (Not As Described) with PayPal they will tell you to return item to seller. so your stuck there, as to asking for half of the money in return that was a bit much, as to the parts costing a lot, get over it check out fan sites like cobra island or yo joe.com for said parts from other collectors, as to difference in claims there is none, when you file thru eBay it will go thru PayPal.

Seller offered a full refund if you returned the item, so you have 2 choices, make a better counter offer or return it.

Case in point I had a recent purchase of mine on eBay come to me not as described, I contacted the seller voiced my problem, but also told him while part of the lot was damaged the whole lot was not damaged, so while I was interested in getting a refund I was still interested in part of the lot, we both came to an agreement after haggling that was mutually agreeable for both of us.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sometimes, eBay will send you a prepaid slip; have you contacted them?

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

Nope, haven't contacted them yet. It was such a deal that I'd rather not return it, even with having to get those two missiles.

5. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    swallow it and neg the guy for wasting your time, he might see sense and give you something in return for removing the feedback, harsh but as the seller he should be trying to make amends, good luck.

6. Asterios

problem is no guerantee the neg will stick since he did offer to refund the money upon returning it, if anything eBay will force the buyer to return it.

7. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    sellers cannot get ebay to null and void a negative, he can leave it and it will stick, its then up to the buyer to make it right if he is bothered about.

Only a buyer can remove or amend feedback left these days.

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

OK, good, they can't actually force me to return it, right? I've decided I'm definitely going to keep it, and just glue the broken parts and get the two missiles out of pocket if I have to.

9. Asterios

The problem is if a seller offers to have item returned, then eBay will force the buyer to return if not the seller could leave a negative, as it goes last I checked Sellers can get feedback removed too and removed by eBay, I just had such an incident occur with me recently with a seller selling less then shoddy merchandise.

10. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    ebay can't force you to return it at all, they have sold an item that isn't as the description stated, you can decide to leave a neg and walk away its then up to the seller to make amends, just so you know we're giving you the right advice we own Kapow Toys and have traded on ebay for over 5 years :)  good luck and if the seller is worth their salt they will sort you out, if not you will have warned others off them.

11. Asterios

No they won't tell him he has to return it, but they will tell you your only option is to:

A: return it

or

B: keep the item

he wants to keep the item but get some kind of refund so if he wants any kind of refund he'll have to return it, so in that sense eBay will force him to return it.

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

thanks, I'm glad you agree with me :thumb 

13. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    paypal...they will take longer to decide the case but more than likely they will side in your favor if you indicate you want a partial refund...if you file the not as described with ebay...ebay will close it in 24 hours with their default decision of "WE FOUND IN YOUR FAVOR>>>RETURN THE ITEM WITH TRACKING AND THEN WE WILL REFUND YOUR $$$ BACK ONCE THE ITEM IS RECEIVED BY THE SELLER"