eBay tricks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Mar 12, 2007.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Why is it that sometimes when I'm bidding on something on eBay, somebody will come in and try to outbid me at strange increments? Let's say I have a max bid of $15 on something and it's currently at $6.00. Why would someone come along and bid $7.19? Are they trying to feel out my max bid somehow? This has happened quite a bit lately, people just bidding odd amounts, like bids ending with .19 and .99.

The person that was bidding in .99 increments in a different auction actually got all the way up to my max bid (minus .01) without going over, like they KNEW what it was by feeling it out.

Is it some kind of strategy? It pisses me off if they can figure out my max bid without actually going over it, it just doesn't seem fair.

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    That .99 trick is new to me but it is pretty underhanded... I do know the weird increments one though, most bids are made with even amounts, usually like $50.00. But if their max bid is $50.15 or so, if someone tries to snipe the auction at $50.00, they still win without bidding any real extra cash.

3. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

I'm not aware of any "tricks" for figuring out max bids. But I'm by no means an Ebay expert.

That aside, why would you care if they do somehow figure out your max bid?

If someone bids higher than your max bid, you should be pretty indifferent (though conceivably disappointed) as you weren't willing to spend as much as they are to get the item. But "fairness" is hardly an issue.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ehh, that's Ebay for you. It's like sniping--it's annoying, but that's just the way it works.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I mostly only get pissed when people bid too early and often.

6. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's fucking sneaky and underhanded, that's why. You can say it's no big deal, but if it wasn't to their gain to do it, then why would they do it in the first place? Why not just outbid me and get it over with? Max bids are PRIVATE, and they shouldn't be able to be figured out, fair or no.

That's IF it's even possible, which is what I'm trying to figure out.

7. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You shouldn't make a max bid offer that you're going to end up being pissed off about if you have to pay it.

8. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Here's how Ebay is supposed to work:

1. You find an item that you want to bid on.

2. You bid the MAX that you are willing to spend on the item.

3. Others bid.

4. If the maximum you're willing to spend is greater than the maximum others are willing to spend, you win. Otherwise, you lose.

5. If you win, you're happy. If you lose, you're disappointed.

So how does fairness come into anything Ebay related?

The only conceivable way is if you didn't really bid the MAX you're willing to spend. In which case, it's not Ebay's fault. It's not the fault of people making crazy bids or weird bids or "tricky" bids or "underhanded" bids. The fault remains with one person.

Bottom line, the methodology and frequency of other bids should be totally irrelevant since people are supposed to bid the MAX that they are willing to spend on the item.

Oh, it's coming back to me now. You also think sniping is wrong huh?

9. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

I always bid a penny over my max. At least I used to before Buy-it-Now was introduced.

10. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm not going to get into it with you, drippy. Snipers annoy me, and this little practice annoys me too. I know how eBay works, thanks. I don't need you to outline it for me.

I don't care if you don't think I should get pissed about it, because I DO. That's it.

Max bids are private, and there shouldn't be a way to know what they are without going over them. It's not about me making a max bid that I don't want to pay, it's about my max bid staying private until it is beaten.

11. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

My point was simply that if you used Ebay as you are supposed to, both bidding "tricks" and sniping are irrelevant and you wouldn't get pissed about anything. Disappointed sure, but never mad.

Ah well, I'll leave it alone.

Good luck with the bidding!

12. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting upset about. I don't mean that to be rude or anything, I'm just not seeing it.

They really don't know what your max bid is. If they keep bidding up by .99 at a time,and if your max bid is $17, and they bid $16.99, they still don't know that your max bid is $17, unless they then outbid you. They might be trying to feel it out, but it doesn't really matter anyway, because if they're willing to pay more than you, they'll do it. It doesn't matter if they slowly outbid you or just outbid you all at once.

13. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I'm a bit confused.

How are we certain that they're figuring out the max bid? If they bid up to a few cents to your max, doesn't your max just kick in at some point to regain the lead?

And why is it a problem for them to find out the max? Is there a difference between someone paying .25 cents more than you would be willing to and paying $15? A max is a max, at least to me. If anyone would be pissed, it'd be the seller for having his buyers be able to bid so closely, I would imagine.

14. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    We're NOT certain that they are. That's why I asked in the first place - it just feels like the more auctions I get in on, the more I see it - people getting right up on my max without going over it. Is there a trick to it? Is it in the bid increments? I don't know. Am I just being paranoid? Perhaps.

I just feel like if there's a way to know someone's max bid without outbidding it, then they can know exactly how much more they have to bid in the last second and win, with no chance of my max bid overcoming them, which it should be able to do in some cases. They know what it is, so I have no chance.

It's like sniping with a laser scope, when everybody else just has musket loaders.

It really just boils down to watching who's bidding and paying attention, I know, but it still annoys me that it may be possible.

15. smkspy

I can understand...people who bid just to raise your max bid as far as it will go. They know your going to win cause they do not want to spend as much as you. However, they want to say fuck you so they slowly feel out your max bid to get it maxed.

16. agravlin

agravlin Bearer of Reason

I just don't see the problem here. It's an auction. You win by outbidding the current bid. If they want to kick up their offer until they've passed your max bid, I can't see anything unfair about that. If they're willing to pay more than you, they get the item.

17. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

It would sound like the issue at hand is still sniping, and fearing that someone can snipe you below your max bid if they do it at the right time.

I dunno. I've never seen the problem, although I've only been sniped once. I mean, that's one of the risks to it, and from my understanding, there's nothing saying it's wrong or not allowed by eBay, so I can't really hold it against people if they find a way to get something more than I do.

18. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Bingo.

The problem is that he's not bidding his MAX bid.

If he was, sniping or "trick" bidding wouldn't be an issue.

19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That's not really what I'm talking about, but I can see them using it to do that too.

The fact is, I did not start this thread to start arguments or try to defend the way I feel. The reason I started it was to find out if anyone knows if this is actually possible or not.

People's feelings and opinions on the matter are irrelevant, I just want to know facts.

20. smkspy

Oh...sorry, but I think you can't figure out someone's max bid until you actually beat it.