ebay transaction question.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Transbot90210, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    If you complete a transaction, can a seller email you privately and ask for more money for shipping?

Once again the transaction is complete, the money sent and the price for shipping was clearly stated on the auction.

It has been years since I bought from ebay so any help withh be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

2. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Once you pay on your end, it's the sellers responsibility to ship. I wouldn't pay anything extra! If they email you asking for more, I'd report them to eBay. Include what they are asking for in your message.

3. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    That is against ebay policy in about 4,042 ways. Politely (this is key) point out where they defined shipping in the auction and decline to send more money. If they insist, report to ebay.

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks guys , that is what I thought.

The difference is $15 for shipping that they want but the transaction is done. I paid $250 for Bruticus and the seller made about $150 profit. I think they can take a hit for THEIR mistake.

We spoke a couple of times and the last time I told them to stop asking for money and ship the item or I will report them. I also mentioned if they stop asking for money and ship I will ignore this and leave a positive feedback. I think that is reasonable.

I am awaiting a reply, I will keep you posted. And thank you once again for varifying what I thought was the case.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Ebay rules aside , i could see asking for more money if the item in question sold for $15 to $20 and the difference was more than $5, but in this case the item cost them $100 and they are more than doubling that , they can easily absorb the $15 dollar difference.

6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    You were very reasonable indeed. Let's see what happens next and I hope you get your Bruticus.

7. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

That's good, except for talking about feedback. That CAN be seen as feedback extortion.

But you're absolutely right otherwise, you can report them for asking more money after the transaction is complete, it's practically a bait and switch on their part. By policy you've already met their terms and paid, and they are obligated to ship the item as a part of the sale. If they're refusing to ship and asking for more money, you can definitely Item Not Received case, to which they'll be forced to ship to you because they're forced to enter a tracking number to win the case, or they lose, get a report ding and they will be forced to refund your payment.

Win or lose the case, you definitely have the right to ding them with negative feedback and hit their Detailed Seller Ratings. And in the case of a refund, if they ask to cancel the transaction, I would deny it as well, doing otherwise they get their fees refunded.

In either case you shouldn't make any reply regarding feedback.

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks for the feedback info. I only mentioned it to show no hard feelings YET and that if she dropped the stupidity I would overlook it. Good to know that talking feedback is a no no in general.

9. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

yeah but it's not really feedback extortion tho, transbot simply reminded the seller to keep the original condition of the auction to get the good feedback, there's nothing wrong with that. he's not asking for additional services outside of the original auction.

10. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    seller tried to do the same thing to me before. I pointed out the eBay policy that says they can't do that and what not and they eventually shipped. No positive feedback was ever left for me even though i left some for them. lol.

11. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Stuff like this is why I stopped using ebay, if the seller really wanted to rip you off, to win the case all he needs is a tracking number... but in that box can be anything from the item you wanted to a rock. As long as he takes pictures that he packed the "item" in question, he could have mailed you anything... so make sure you take video of the item as you open it. Try not to have any cuts in the video what so ever.

12. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If this happened I think you'd be pretty justified in asking someone on the board who lives near the seller to break the seller's fucking knees. Sorry to get upset about a hypothetical situation, but I can't believe people would pull this shit.

As for TB's original post, I have nothing new of any value to add, but you very clearly should simply demand the item you paid for at the price you paid. I can't believe someone would have the audacity to ask for more after making 150% profit in one week by scalping. Pointing out that you'd still give good feedback doesn't seem like "extortion" to me at all. More like politely saying, "hey asshole, I'll let your bullshit slide if you just do what your contractually obligedto do."

13. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm of two minds about this- did they not say anywhere in the item description that accurate shipping would be calculated and invoiced after the auction?

Fairly common practise for me is to tell buyers not to pay until I can calculate accurate shipping costs for them. International shipping costs vary too greatly from US right over to Australia, and ebay doesn't exactly help sellers present honest and accurate shipping costs on their auctions (as if one flat rate is really going to apply to everywhere on the planet, have they not met Royal Mail?).

If they did have information regarding accurate postal costs calculated post-auction and you jumped the gun, it doesn't sound unreasonable.

But if they are just asking for more out of the blue, pretty much what everyone else said. Apart from LeTigre. Buyers running amuck around ebay being assholes is what's scaring off decent sellers. There are just as many (if not more) asshole buyers as there are asshole sellers, sometimes it's an honest clerical error.

14. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    It was a BIN. Shipping was already calculated in the auction.

15. BumbleDeez

BumbleDeez Well-Known Member

Dude, there are SO many turds selling TF items out there. Don't pay another penny, and report the crap out of him. As is, he's likely overcharging for shipping, and he'll probably pack your item poorly. That's what many of them do. I know first hand.

16. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Then as everyone else said! I think what you said here:

is really good of you. I hope the transaction goes okay, but if they continue to screw around report them and get the hell outta dodge.

17. cvmaas

cvmaas Well-Known Member

Can you link us to the auction in question? BTW: The Seller isn't making $150 off this, he paid $108 w/ taxes, plus shipping if it came from HTS. Then, eBay hits the seller up for 11%, so that't 27.50, next PayPal dings the seller for another 2.9% ($7.25). So the seller is really only making about $100 if you are paying for shipping.

With a BIN, if the seller required immediate payment, the shipping cost calculated in the auction stands, however not all sellers require immediate payment and request a buyer wait to be invoiced before making payment, so final shipping costs could be calculated. So we really need to see the auction listing for definitive answers.

18. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Wah? If an auction or BIN lists an exact shipping price, that's what I make my buying decision based on. I would get very pissed at a seller that tries to invoice me for a higher shipping afterwards.

If the seller wants to list that final shipping will be provided, that's there business. Personally, I stay away from those listings because I want to know exactly how much I'm paying out of pocket.

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
  20. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    The sellers at fault here.