Ebay to pay $61 mil to Vuitton for KOs...Hasbro suit to follow?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Check this. LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA has won a suit against Ebay Inc. over their compliance of allowing bootlegs of their products to be sold.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/451881

We all know Hasbro has been taking aggressive action against Ebay and anyone selling the authentic looking bootleg/KOs (the exact same thing as Vuitton has successfully sued for), wonder if they will pursue a recovery of losses lawsuit against ebay?

2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I hope so, that would be awesome!

3. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    snippity snap. is it 61$ in damages from all the money LV should have made from the people buying the knockoffs? because people buying knockoffs buy them because they can't afford $3000 bags. So i'm pretty sure eBay is giving LV free money.

4. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

:lol  I want some free money!

5. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    We all assumed it was Hasbro's doing that the Transformers knockoffs were removed, but maybe it was this pending judgment that prompted Ebay to be more agressive against knockoffs in general.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    In which case Hasbro wouldn't get much, since the majority of the KO Transformers weren't ones that have been made since G1.

7. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    gg

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm a little dissapointed in this finding. The internet is a unique marketplace. In the same way that you don't see flea market operators being shut down 'cause they host booths that sell bootlegs, I don't see how eBay can be faulted for this. It can't possibly monitor every single auction--there are just too many, which is a big part of what makes them such a great tool for consumers.

There not even negligence here, much less willfull malice. It's an unavoidable side effect of electronic commerce.
    ?

9. mechabot-1

mechabot-1 Banned

ko's rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I hope LV representives don't walk down Canal St. in NYC. :lol 

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Exactly. People buy KOs because they can't afford the real thing. Same reason I buy TF KOs. Expensive as they are for KOs, they are cheaper than mint vintage and haven't been reissued.

Very possible. Although there was a story going around just before they were pulled that Hasbro was gonna be more aggressive. Wasn't something also said about it to them at Botcon?

12. therealjondoe

therealjondoe Well-Known Member

well i collect air jordan sneakers and there are a ton of knockoffs on ebay.
    The problem is that the sellers of knockoffs get reported to ebay,but ebay does jack shit to them.I am glad they are facing heat for this, i hope
    the knockoff sneaker sales are next.

13. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Ha ha!!!

14. on_a_warpath

on_a_warpath OAW 2010

I don't quite understand how Hasbro is losing profits from this, just because some of us buy KOs, that does'nt mean we stopped buying from Hasbro right? if anything it's not Hasbro losing profits, it's the ko makers gaining profits.

15. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree to a certain point. When eBay was the online flea market I had no problems with this type of dealings. But once eBay went "corporate" then they just opened themselves to every lawsuit just because they've got the $$$ and they can be made into an example.

Is it fair, probably so - especially with the way Ebay has been treating all their sellers lately. They start to crackdown so all these other companies are gonna start cracking down as well. eBay just has to figure out how to filter the auctions better so they can monitor every single auction.

Ignorance isn't always bliss.

16. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    People only have so much money that they allocate to spend on Transformers. If they spend $60 on counterfeit Mirage, that's $60 that they might have spent on a few Classics toys or Takara Encore reissues instead.

Also, Hasbro is probably concerned that the counterfeits have their name all over them. If there's a product defect, Hasbro will have to jump through hoops to prove that it is not their product.

17. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yep, you win.

18. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You hit the nail right on the head, especially with the 2nd reason. Lets take the most recent examples of lead being found in toys. How many millions of toys had to be recalled because of the risk? Why? Because the toymakers were afraid of lawsuits if the toys were to cause harm to kids (and the public scrutiny if the toymakers didn’t do anything). So if KO’s had the same lead problem (or other defects) and eventually cause harm to some kid, you know very well the lawsuit is going to Hasbro or Takara. Hasbro/Takara can probably prove that it’s not their product but rather a KO but that’s still money spent to defend themselves.

19. combust

combust gobotronian

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i'm never gonna get a red mirage now :mad: 

20. nic28

nic28 warrior

It just gives lv and hasbro a bad name when ebay lets people sell there ko as the real thing.But for me if the ko looked good and made out of quality material i would buy it if i could not afford or find the real thing at the time. What people should do if they buy ko items is tell others that they are knock-offs and not the real thing that keeps everybody honest and should make these companies happy. Or make a law that if you going to make and sell ko items to put a warning label on them stating that this is a knock-off item you are buying.