Ebay Sniping Software - Evil or Useful?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TreKain, May 31, 2006.

1. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok...we all know putting bids in at the last few minutes of an auction is the most reasonable way to keep the auction prices down (for the most part). And I'll admit when theres something I really want, I'll camp out the auction and snipe by hand, usually putting in the bid at the 30-25 second mark. It has served me well.

Anyway some auctions are coming up that I would really like to take a shot at, but they end at 3am (my time). I cant afford to wake up in the middle of the night to bid on an auction. Should I just consider myself S.O.L.? I then noticed that theres software out there that can watch the auctions and bid for you.

This seems like an unfair advantage...but if other people are using it...Im torn as to whether this stuff is "cheating" or not, and if I should care.

If I decide to go for it, is there any one sniper software that anyone would reccomend?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Well, I'd say it really depends. If the auction seems fairly popular, don't use the software. If it doesnt seem popular, use it.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I hate sniping software with a passion. I wouldn't use it if my life depended on it (ok, maybe THEN I would).

4. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Why don't you just use eBay's proxy bidding? That's exactly why it's there. If someone outbids you in the last few seconds, well shucks, you should've entered a higher amount.

Ultimately, all the sniping software in the world doesn't mean anything. It comes down to what auctions have always been about: being willing to pay more than the other guy. I laugh when some hopeful sniper jacks the price up in the last few seconds, only to be met with defeat at the hands of my higher maximum bid.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I only turned to using sniping software after I had been continuously sniped myself.

I use Auction Sentry from time to time. I don't see a problem with sniping (either the manual method as you mentioned or using software).

I still put in the same maximum bid that I am willing to pay... the only difference is it goes in with around 5 seconds remaining in the auction. If I get outbid.. oh well... wasn't meant to be. If I win then I still pay the original price I was willing to pay.

Just my two cents.

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'd like to ditto what jourdo says. I started manually sniping in the late 90's when I realized that's the way a lot of people play. it's just exploiting a hole in the way online auctions work. there HAS to be a timelimit, and sniping just places your bid when there's not enough time for anyone else to bid.

that being said, I've used ezsniper.com to get a few auctions. the reason being I was going to be away, so I couldn't sit there and snipe them myself. they give you three free snipes, and if you don't win the auction, it doesn't take any away from you. after the third, it charges a tiny commission, but I haven't used it past three, so I don't know how much it charges.

I hope this doesn't get me flamed, I just feel it's all part of one big game on ebay. nothing's THAT important to get all worked up about winning or losing, it's just kinda fun seeing whether or not you've got the deepest pockets.

7. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ZOMG!

Can open!
    Worms everywhere!

8. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That depends..

You using it - Useful

Used againt you - evil

9. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

I try not to snipe, but I do bid at the last minute. Some people simply "test" the auction, by incrementing at $10-$20 or so. If I bid 20 at first, with total of 100, and I'm the current winning bid, some guy can try doing 30, 40, just to "check" my maximum ammount. If on the other hand I let him bid first, it will be 20 to the end (maybe 30), because he didn't have to "test" someone else's maximum bid. Some people actually *do* test bids, and they even retract bids just to make sure it's a little bit below someone else's highest.

Personally I think last minute bids is fair game for everyone, because there's no running competition - either you win or lose, instantly.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I personally don't use it, I wouldn't want to be sniped myself, so I don't do it to others.

Of course that does mean I'll not win many auctions, but hey, it saves me money.

11. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I looked into it at one point only because I'd heard of it and was curious, but I can honestly say that I've only lost a handful of auctions and in those cases, I was glad because I was probably bidding too much anyway. I also don't think I've ever been sniped. That being said, I don't think I'd use it unless it was that one magical item I had to have and was unable to win it by any other means (what that item is, I have no idea).

12. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Eh, I bid what I'm willing to pay and if someone wants it more, I'll let them have it.

13. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

It's the test method you mention that bothers me. I don't think that should be a valid reason to retract the bid.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The auction lasts for a set period of time. As long as the bid is placed before the timer reaches zero it's fair game. If you lose an auction at the last minute then you should've bid more.

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

^ thank you.

16. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Software is wrong. Computers cheat. However, if I was to buy something on EBay, I would only snipe it. It doesn't make sense to get into a bidding war when you could just bid seconds before the auction ends and get it for less.