eBay selling / PayPal Premier "upgrade" question

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Bryan, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mods, 'pologies if this forum is only for discussing actual auctions, thought it would be best for this question.

So I just started regularly selling stuff on eBay.

eBay Feedback Profile for squirrelcar

I'm trying to trim my collection down in the next month or so, so was flipping some extra exclusives before doing my vintage stuff--but anyways...

1) Seller sent me a payment via PayPal. I am NOT over the $500 receipt limit for a personal account for the month of April. I have, however, received more than $500 in the last 30 days.

2) I can't deny the payment, but I can't accept it without upgrading to a Premier account. I don't want to do this, because I use PayPal sparingly and the Premier account would hit my pocketbook. Also, to be frank, I think it's bullshit that they're requiring it.

3) I got nowhere with PayPal customer service. I don't post in this forum much, but please believe me when I tell you I'm so reasonable on the phone it's practically superhuman. I don't freak out or anything--I'm calm, polite, and sensible, and usually it works. But it was clear that they're weren't gonna do anything. They did tell me that it was an eBay policy that I have to upgrade, but I received a payment later that I can accept without upgrading (I received that when I wasn't over $500 in the previous 30 days).

4) I want to continue selling sporadically without having to upgrade. Is it that I have to stay under $500 for a thirty day period or is it a calendar month? And now that I've received this payment, how can I get to it without upgrading?

* What else do I need to know about selling on eBay? Any pearls of wisdom so's I don't get burned?

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh, and how do I unlink my eBay and PayPal accounts, so that buyers can send me money with my email address but not directly through my auctions?

3. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I think you might be s.o.l. on this one - I had the same problem back in the day and I had to upgrade to a premier account. Unfortunately it's their rules and since they run both eBay and Paypal... yeah, you've just got to play by them.

Re unlinking - I think there's a section in your Paypal profile where you can unlink them? Or maybe in your eBay seller account... I forget.

4. Digital Jesus

Digital Jesus Devastator's big left toe

The best advice I can give you is play by their rules and upgrade. I've been a power-seller twice with two different accounts, one currently. We've discussed in other threads my older thoughts of eBay/PayPal and their unfair business practices when it comes to the seller. However, I think I learned my lesson the hard way and things are fine down the road because of that.

I upgraded some time ago to Business Premiere, and got the debit card and money market account status to go with it. Not only do they NOT mess with me, but they are very helpful and easy to work with over the phone. They want to make me happy and make money off my money.

After all, you start selling here and there, sell a few expensive pieces 'cause you need the money, and PayPal holds the funds for up to 21 days on you where you can't touch it. That isn't a good scenario and can be partially avoided by upgrading your account at their request and jumping through their hoops. I'm not one to play corporate bully ball, but this one is worth it.

5. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    upgrade and go...you can get a debit card so you have instant access to your funds...down side is you have a fee attached to any transaction where money is sent to you...i upgraded my account quite a while ago and did it mainly for the debit card...nice to have that avaliable for purchases and all....

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    De-linking your Paypal and ebay accounts could be tricky too, since (I think?) they're the same company.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't sell anywhere NEAR enough for the debit card to be a bonus. But I do sell enough (read: anything) for the extra fees to piss me off.

You can delink (did it yesterday), but I'm not sure it makes any difference except buyers don't get to automatically link to your PayPal account from your auction. And yeah, they're definitely the same company.

I solved the problem, anyways. I'm gonna sell a bunch of stuff without upgrading until the problem payment is about to go back to the buyer, then I'm gonna close the account and open a new Personal one. Wash, rinse, repeat.

8. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Do you, by chance, have two banking accounts? Paypal permits you to have two Paypal accounts, one Personal and one Premier. I set up an online account with ING Direct and opened up a Personal Paypal account to go along with my Premier. (I think you can use a savings account in lieu of another checking account, but don't quote me on that.)

9. Digital Jesus

Digital Jesus Devastator's big left toe

Careful with doing multiple accounts. Their tracking information isn't always the best, but when they find something even remotely suspect, they will suspend your eBay and all linked or at one time used PP accounts all together and freeze all funds in them. You will have to fax them information that they will no doubt "lose" or "not recieve" and your money won't be accessible.

May I recommend googling "eBay stealth guide" and reading the forums on that site for proper technique in de-linking your accounts. One slip up may cost you.

10. diaclone_seeker

diaclone_seeker Banned

11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, you can use a Savings account. And I'm doing just that--one Personal and one Premier (my checking). It's legit, the rep told me that I could. Hell, I'm using the same bank for both accounts.

12. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn Three dollar Nazi

News Credits:
    If I'm understanding correctly, you received a payment for an auction which Paypal says you have to upgrade your account status to accept, but later you received another payment without any such problems. The payment that you have to upgrade for was likely funded from a credit card, and personal level accounts can't accept credit/debit card payments. The others are right that you're probably out of luck - the only thing I can think of is if you can get the initial payment returned to your buyer and ask them to pay from a Paypal balance or other non-plastic funding source instead.

I guess it's not explicitly required that you have a Premiere account if you sell on Ebay, but the way the policies are these days you're basically stuck. Ebay doesn't allow you to only accept certain kinds of Paypal payments, and I don't think you have the option to sell anymore without taking Paypal payments. So they might not come out and say it, but you're eventually going to hit a situation like this where you're left with no choice. Remember, they pay people a lot of money to come up with no-win scenarios for them to turn against their users. :redface2: 

This is part of the reason I stopped selling on Ebay and now only use Paypal for private transactions.

13. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Cool. That's really the way to do it; I use the Premier account for eBay related sales and the Personal for Junkion exchanges when it's a direct/balance transfer. A really great way to avoid fees in certain situations. With you using the same bank, that's awesome as you can just transfer money back and forth easily. I really don't know why people who use Paypal don't take advantage of this and open two accounts.