eBay sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Optimus Scourge, May 28, 2008.

1. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    So, as the title says, I got this message when I went to leave feedback from a buyer on ebay:
    It went on to say to feel free to be honest about your feedback now, and how this will make ebay better, etc. (you will see a popup if you try to leave feedback for a buyer now)

What do you guys think of this? as a buyer, I love it.

As a seller, I have 100% positive 500+ feedback, never had an issue....But, in this collecting industry, there are some people who (and I am in NO WAY singling out ANYONE) expect things to be perfectly perfect, with no flaws, and though I never say ANYTHING is mint or give a "C9" or ANY type of grade - I learned that lesson long ago with people wanting to scam me for "not mint" or C7, not C8" and "I want a 20% refund for condition or else", blah blah, blah.

I do agree that there are sellers trying to say things ARE mint or C10 - to me, that is dishonest and could lull the buyer into thinking something really is so nice, only to find a teensy flaw and suddenly it is trash...things like "Gem mint" and C10 don't exist...nothing is really perfect to everyone. I've never seen an AFA 100. Not saying it does not happen, I think it has, but, I just have never seen a perfect grade on an action figure for sale, ever.

So in that sense I'm worried, because even if you have a disclaimer, something like "Item is in very good condition, please see the pics of actual item and judge for yourself" like I do, any buyer can leave a negative without the fear of getting a negative...

So, if for some reason, an item gets held up in customs, which as we all know, does happen to a lot of people, the seller could be left a negative such as "Too long for shipping" or "Item not in good condition" or something, I mean, ANYTHING can and WILL happen. ebay has now given the buyers the freedom to do whatever the hell they want now.

even though you can reply to the feedback, you still lose that percentage, you know?

I just don't want 8+ years of ebay with 100% feedback, to lose that score over something trivial or ridiculous would really hurt.

So, what do you all think about this?

2. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

"Sold As-Is" is your best friend. Simple and to the point. It's understandable to point out things the pictures can't. And if someone really wants to make a mess over something they should start buying toys in person and leave eBay alone.

3. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I believe they only take into account the past 12 months for the feedback percentage now. That said, there is just going to be a new norm for "good" sellers that has yet to be set. I guess we'll see what that will be soon enough...

4. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    how many topics do we need on the subject?

5. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    There are people who take advantage of that "as-is" stuff, but , honestly, it doesn't matter. Paypal does not honor the "as-is" policy, so you really do have to spell it out.

I realize it will probably be ok, and people can read your reply if it is misled feedback, but the 100% positive rating is extremely important to me, I take great pride in that number, and I have never scammed anyone, so while it may be unlikely, the fact it could happen does not sit well with me.

6. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely agree. It isn't a good change really; it merely creates new problems. I haven't sold anything on eBay in some time though (and am probably not going to in the future) so I guess I just don't feel it as much as some of you folks. I definitely empathize, though.

7. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    This new feedback thing is stupid! guys like Wheeljacks lab are like 97,7% feedbacks now were before they were 99% +

8. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    Wheeljackslab is going to suffer under this new rule. A lot of people were too scared to give a negative to Chriss, because of retaliaton.

With his behavior, he'll probably plummit to a lower feedbackrating.

9. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Its not so much the feedback issue that bothers me but I wake up this morning to find Paypal are holding my money for 21 days for 2 things I sold yesterday, the only way they release is

1) Positive feedback is left which people dont always do
    2) A dispute isnt filed within 21 days

this hacks me off for 2 reasons which are I always post the next day, my DSR's are all 4.8 or above and the items are brand new

I really am beginning to f#cking hate ebay and paypal.

10. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    That sux! That's not even legal!!

11. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    Umm where did you get this info from? I just sold 20 auctions on Sunday and I had them transfer the money last night, and it's on the way.

12. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:

Word

13. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Its not info its what they have done :( 

I've got to get positive from the seller or no dispute within 21 days and I can recieve the funds, obviously its not happening to everything you sell.

Go read the rules, it was high lighted when they announced the feedback changes I just didnt actually believe they would do it.

14. mineraljane

News Credits:
    That is unbelievably lame!

Once eBay bought Paypal, there should have been competition from a company like Google immediately. They already have the Google Checkout (which eBay, of course, forbids as a source of payment) and all they need is an auction service. They could completely undercut eBay and make money on advertising (as they do now).

Ugh. I really, really hate PP/eBay! Hope this resolves soon for you, RL.

EDIT: That said, does anyone know if old auctions that ended prior to the new feedback changes are grandfathered in so sellers can leave whatever feedback they would like, or are those auctions now limited to positive only as well? (I only ask because it's been over a month since I bought a couple of figures from this seller and he/she/it has not responded to any of the three messages that I have sent.)

15. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    Do you have a link? I don't see it mentioned here.

EDIT: I think you mean this. I guess the question is, what did you sell? I actually like, and am ok with, the idea of holding money from the seller on electronics. They should expand it, I would be ok with waiting. I've actually lost about $40 on ebay from issues like that, and the sellers have even left me negative feedback (though now it's gone w/ the new rules).

16. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    this new system is going to suck for sellers.I sell maybe 10 items a month but now i have to bend over and take it from bad buyers with no chance of leaving honest feedback?

THAT sux:mad 
    i have 100% rating and i will be pissed if someone screws with it.
    What is changing?

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

The main changes to the system being introduced in May:
    Beginning in February 2008, we enabled buyers and sellers to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. In May we will provide credit for similar repeat transactions going back to when the system was introduced in 1996. This change will encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
    In May, sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers.
    Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) Process.
    Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
    Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
    Buyers must wait seven days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback for active PowerSellers who have been registered for at least 12 months.
    Members must leave Feedback within 60 days of the transaction closing (today members have up to 90 days).
    Removal of Mutual Feedback Withdrawal.
    pulled from the site.
    So buyers can neg you and there is nothing you can do about it:( 

17. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

I think it's vastly unfair that sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers. I've only sold two things on eBay in my life. One was a very positive experience. On the second, though, the winning bidder never paid or contacted me with any further information. Therefore, I left negative feedback.

Sellers need to be able to leave negative feedback on these kinds of buyers, simply because that's how you let OTHER sellers know that it's not smart to do business with that person. Believe me, bum bidders can really throw a monkey wrench into an otherwise good auction. Sellers deserve the right to know whether or not they should cancel someone's bid or be wary of them. And if a seller is being a complete ass-hat complaining about items that were clearly described, shipping costs, or other silly things, then other sellers deserve to know that as well!

At issue--on the surface--is retaliatory feedback, which can mar a person's otherwise perfect score when they make legitimate complaints against unscrupulous dealers. But is doing away with the feedback system altogether the answer? I don't think so. One would think that it should then go into arbitration, which would require the mutual removal of feedback. In any case, sellers should not be penalized because a random few of them are shady. (Feedback should be helpful in avoiding these kinds of sellers anyway, right?)

I realize that eBay did this as a political move to attract bigger sellers and to boost sagging numbers by enticing buyers, but eBay needs to realize that buyers aren't the only customers who need to be taken care of. Without sellers, there wouldn't be an eBay, and from what I'm hearing, sellers are jumping ship from eBay left and right at the moment.

18. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    damn, ebay needs some competition. and some new rules that actually make fucking sense.

19. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

eBay is really going to suffer because sellers like myself will not be listing items on eBay for fear of getting a Negative from a Buyer that is disgruntled over something little. I've already noticed that there are not as many Transformers being listed from individual sellers as what there are from PowerSellers. Overall eBay is wrong to side with just the Buyers. Feedback is a two-way thing that neither side should have more power than the other. Once one side has more power the scales are tipped, and one side will suffer while the other prospers.

eBay will lose commerce due to this, and their attempt to promote more bidding will fail in the long run because the Buyers will not have as many choices to bid on.

20. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I completely agree! Unfortunately, Ebay will forbid another type of payment at checkout, because it will hurt their profits by having no money made off of the Paypal transaction. They have really hurt themselves by doing what they are doing to sellers...if there's no sellers, there's not much to bid on now is there...

BTW, I did sign the petition on another subject...