eBay Seller/Paypal Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TFXProtector, Aug 9, 2016.

1. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, long story short: I bought a Transformer on eBay, the seller's feedback is overwhelmingly good compared to his neutrals and negatives.

(He has maybe a handful of those over the course of a year, compared to HUNDREDS of positives in the last year, alone.)

I paid roughly $20.00 for shipping, via Priority Mail, which is the going rate because it's a heavy and awkward item.

I paid for it on Friday (the same day I bought it) and he waited until Monday to ship it.

But wait..what's this? It's being sent FedEx SmartPost?! I contact him, he confesses and tries to blame the USPS for damaging his packages.

So what should've been 2-3 days will now be 8-10 days, which pisses me off. He offered a refund of $8.00 for the difference, I've accepted and now he's gone radio silent.

What should I do? Do I contact Paypal, do I contact eBay, or both? Do I refuse the shipment, do I hound him for the $8.00?

Normally I wouldn't care too much, but this was a clear bait and switch and he admitted he changed it on me.

What would you do?

2. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 Studio Series muscle car Dropkick = ESSENTIAL

News Credits:
    If I were you, I'd first wait until the package arrives. If you needed the item at a sooner date than what he originally promised and/or you receive the item damaged due to different method of shipping, you should be able to file that the item was not received as described. If he's promised you $8 and does not deliver, well, more power to you in the following resolution case.

Contrary to common claims, I have found both Ebay and Paypal representatives on the phone to be exceedingly helpful. I'm sure they can help advise you through your plight. Best of luck

3. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    As long as the item arrives undamaged and as described I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you also whining about paying on Friday and him not shipping till Monday?

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did he promise he'd ship the next day? When I run auctions, I say ship within 3 BUSINESS days. Days the post office isn't open don't count.

5. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd open a case until he refunds

6. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    I love how you automatically turn it around on ME and make a problem with me.
    No, I wasn't "whining" about him shipping on Monday. Mildly annoyed, sure, but I know Monday, and not the weekend, is a business day. (Though, I've had plenty of eBay sellers ship on a Saturday, just saying.)

I'm worried about it because the auction, my receipt and all paperwork involved say I paid $19.xx for Priority and that was the ONLY shipping method he offered. Instead, he paid $11.38 for SmartPost and kept the difference and even admitted he switched the method of transit.

Didn't ask, didn't discuss it, just did it. How is that a me problem?

Why should I have to pay for his thievery?

I get that, like I said above, that was a mild annoyance.

I think I will do just that.

The seller's just mad that he provided a best offer option and I used it. He wanted a whole lot more for the item, but he decided to take my offer and gladly so. Thing is, even with eBay fees, he's losing nothing on his investment and still making money, so the ONLY one out any money here is me.

I'd be okay with that if I knew it up front.

7. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron Great Again!

Yeah, open up a case and keep the correspondence exchange between the two of you. Depending on what state you live in, the two of you came to an agreement and it's in writing... even though it's only $8.

8. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    If it was $2.00, I wouldn't care. That could be afforded to a mistake, we've all done it a time or two. This is he straight up he admitted he did it and that was it. It's not even that it's $8.00, it's the principle of it all.

I'm keeping the names removed for security purposes but here's how it went:

Me:
    (It should be noted that the eBay email, Paypal and the eBay app all said Priority Mail at this point. Only the eBay website clarified that it was FedEx SmartPost.)

Him:
    (I use both Outlook for my Paypal and eBay transactions as well as communication. That's part of the signature it sends. It's annoying, but really?)

Me:
    Him:
    (I love how professional he is with his choice of language... And blaming it on the USPS? I mean, sure, they have their problems, but I don't believe every item he ships from them has that same problem. Heck, I checked some of his other items and feedback and they shipped First Class or Parcel Post and none of his customers complained about it, so... Bullcrap? Yeah, bullcrap.

And I don't know that it'll arrive undamaged. It has to be handed over to the USPS for delivery and during that transition could be damaged, or FedEx themselves could screw up. It happens. He wanted to avoid the USPS only to give them access to it anyway? Right. 'Kay.)

Me:
    And that's it. Radio silence. I wasn't rude, I wasn't crude and I did my part. He admittedly pulled a bait and switch, regardless of his reasonings and excuses.

I've lost money on eBay, sometimes by choice because I needed to get a figure or item sold right then, right there, but this? This is straight up "I'mma get mine!" and it just isn't cool.

9. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought some old Christmas ornaments from a lady on Ebay a couple of years ago. The next day, she sent me a message explaining that she was about to ship the ornaments to me when she noticed they were stolen.

She did refunded me the money on Paypal.

10. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Um. Okay? I mean, that's great for you and I'm glad, but I'm honestly not sure what it has to do with my situation?

Not being funny, I'm genuinely confused.

11. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I have a question about Ebay.

What advice would you give to a Canadian who wants to buy 2 items from a seller, but only one item can only be shipped to the United States?

12. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Google a shipping service or ask a board member here to work as an intermediary.

They'd receive it and then reship it to you, bypassing whatever restriction(s) the seller might have.

Depending on the item, say Masterpiece Megatron, they could turn it from gun to robot mode to avoid any issues with customs or other law enforcement.

That's the only option I can think of at the moment.

13. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I just contacted the seller and he will ship both to Canada.

However, I have a bit of a situation about these 2 items I'm bidding for. You see, I've never ever seen these items in store. I've seen the advertisement on the back of the package. But I've never knew they existed. I thought they were in a cancelled line. This is probably the first time I've seen them. But now, I have a bit of competition between both. I feel I should focus my bidding money on just one. But I don't know which to choose. To me, it would have to be the rarest. But I don't know which one it is, because they are both pretty rare.

14. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Sunset Stage Memory

News Credits:
    Well what are they?

15. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Have any of you recently bid in an auction, but the time you were expecting the auction to end actually ended an hour earlier?

That happened to me my last auction. I was bidding for something and I had like an hour and a half left. But 15 minutes later, the auction ended.

16. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    *sighs*

So it continues.

I've been at this since the 5th and it's now going for the 18th in just a couple of minutes. (By the time I finish this post it'll be past midnight.)

He's promised several times to refund the $8.00 and he's been BEGGING me to drop the claim. He still continues to claim that he can't refund me until the claim is removed.

I've always thought that sounded fishy, but I let it go in my mind and just waited to see if he'd refund me. I mentioned the refund and I've had two emails asking me to drop the claim, one out of the blue. (There was a difference of time between the two emails. We're talking several days.)

At this point, I started thinking something REALLY wasn't right, so I contacted Paypal, by phone, and spoke to a really nice woman who said I was 100% correct and that he did indeed commit a crime by pulling a bait and switch on the shipping method. She said it's absolutely illegal and violates eBay's policy as well as Paypal's. Plus, you know, it's a crime...

I explained everything, showed proof and she said we have to give him one more chance, via official Paypal email, to provide the difference refund. After that, Paypal will step in and remove the $8.00 themselves. She was going to offer me the entire shipping cost because she thought that was what I wanted, until I made it extremely clear what my issue was.

She told me "Never, ever, cancel a claim until you have the item in hand, the refund or both. Once you cancel, you cannot reopen a case and the seller can keep your money, leaving you no recourse." so I'm sharing this info with you guys and gals.

Never cancel a claim until it's made right, you'll be done for at that point.

I know, a lot of people would say "Dude, it's $8.00, let it go!" but she said I was right to call because people like him abuse the system and she said I was right in that he'll continue to do this to others if he's not stopped now.

He's still offering ONLY Priority Mail as the shipping method, with no mention of SmartPost anywhere. She said that was yet another nail in the coffin for his case.

A lot of eBay sellers do this now, they ask you to cancel the claim so they can walk away with your money.

All he had to do was be a decent person, I did my part. I bought, I paid, it was that simple.

The seller can end an auction early under certain circumstances. Outside of that, I can't explain why an auction would end earlier. My guess is perhaps your PC's clock wasn't synced to the Windows servers and reported a different time than what was listed.