Ebay rant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by herugrim, Oct 30, 2009.

1. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    Anybody else who needs to get it off there chest feel free!

Anyways what the Hell has been going on with Ebay lately? For one thing what happened to shipping & handling charges? When I order something from Amazon I pay nothing (Amazon Prime w00t!), from any other store online it's usually $2-4. On all the ebay stores online, including the ones within my own state, at least $12! WTF?! Do the expect us to believe that shipping with PayPal costs an extra $10?! Because I can tell you one thing these shipments aren't being done with UPS and they aren't being done overnight or rush delivery of any kind. It still takes at least one week for your order to arrive after it's shipped!

And then there's the pricing. Why are people taking new items, readily available at the supermarket, and pricing them higher then retail (before adding the obnoxiously large shipping fee)! Why are they doing this!? Do they not really want to see the item? Why would I pay $60 for a MISB megazord that I can buy at the store for $40, and with no S&H!? The only ebay stores that sell items for retail (or less, most of the time) are international sellers. Now that regular shipping has been unreasonably buffed up it actually evens out with the international shipping charges (if anything, the international rates have decreased significantly, I remember paying $30 S&H for items from the orient, now I'm paying about $15).

Loose figures, remember when sellers had to tell you if something was missing peices? If they didn't know about a figure they looked up the information to figure out what was missing and then let you know when you bought it. Notice how they don't do that anymore! Nowadays all the sellers on ebay say is 'you get what you see'. Yeah? Well if your pics didn't suck, I'd at least know what I'm buying! I bought an old Excellion figure from the Cybertron line and the seller didn't mention that it was missing any peices (nor did he mention all the paint stripped on the figure, like some kid in a play pen tried to break out by smashing the plastic robot against the colorful wooden bars of his pen). Naturally when I got it the figure was missing his weapon. When I brought it up in his review he got defensive and said "I never said it came with the weapon". Well he never said it didn't! Bull****!

Lastly, I'm sure this has happened to a few people by now. They changed the way the site was arranged, I didn't notice. I bought a Voyager Bludgeon thinking I lucked out and would get him before general release. I didn't notice because the shipping charges were the same as US S&H (see above). It's been almost a week now so I figured I'd start checking the mail to see if he's there, then just today I get an e-mail confirming that he was just shipped, from CHINA! It says on the page I ordered from where it's shipping from, but they moved it from the spot they were using last year. It's a lot smaller now, and it isn't listed with the shipping charges. I know it's still my own dumb fault for not noticing it but still, the old setup was more aestheticlly functional before, why change it and try to play down the order's origin?

Alright, that's all for me...for now.

2. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Everything you list, minus the site layout, is decided upon by each individual seller - not ebay.

In all fairness, ebay did raise their listing fees. That may be a factor with the jacked up prices. But, in the end, it's still an individual's choice how much to list their item for, what details to include, and how much to charge for shipping.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  3. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    S&H is what pisses me off. If someone wants to charge $14 - $15 for a Deluxe, I'm fine but usually there's like, $9 shipping.

4. herugrim

Ebay:
    I'm not aggitated at company so much as the community. This is the kind of place where the sellers make the market, and in the end all it seems to amount to is each collector looking to screw the other over as much as possible.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

So don't buy from those people. I really don't see what the point of ranting about it is.

6. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Sellers must use priority shipping w/tracking or risk getting screwed with a claim.

Parcel does not offer tracking.

7. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Um because isnt that what the internet is for? You pay your own money and then you can bitch all you want....

8. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

That's Lazy-UnFaire Captialism, that why. Buy low, sell high. Got a problem with it? You cannot move up a move up a class with hard work by itself. We can always go back to Laizree-Faire. (how every you spell it), but you know that will lead. :D  (joking)

9. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well they're allowed to charge for insurance(eBay is forcing seller to foot the bill{no longer being an option}), tracking number, handling, and packaging. Plus sellers like to overcharge for risk of being wrong on the amount for shipping. I personally have a basic weight for all my items, if it's something a bit heavier I tack on a couple extra ounces.

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Optimus Sledge beat me to it.

11. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

He always beats us. :cry 

12. herugrim

Ebay:
    First of all it's not like e-bay lets you know who's going to rip you off. Best chance you have is to check their feedback and even that isn't always accurate.

And for another thing it isn't specific sellers it's all of them. They're all overcharging drastically, not just for the estimated market value of the items in their condition, but just the shipping process.

Reguardless of what extra proceedures ebay forces sellers to take, it doesn't change the fact that they're blatantly ripping people off. When I order from another other store on the net (as I mention, Amazon, Gamestop, Hasbro, etc...) they never charge such rediculous rates, even for larger items. Edit: And they still include shipping insurance, order tracking, express delivery, etc...

E-bay sellers (and not just regular users but the 'stores' to) are just content to charge everybody the kind of shipping as if to assume the item in question is a complete Fortress Maximus in the original case hugged in bubble wrap and surrounded with packing penuts in a box big enough for a war vet to live out of. Instead they take an incomplete figure who's missing vital peices that he/she failed to mention, wrapping them in an old shopping back, and stuffing them in an old, wet cardboard box stuffed with crumpled newspaper. Then they wait a week to ship the 'express' item (or sometimes just until you e-mail them wondering if they forgot about you) and when you bring up the poor condition of the item they shrug you off.

I'll repeat it because I know most people will ignore it for convenience. There isn't another online store you'll find that charges such outrageous rates overall and still have generally very poor condition. It's just Ebay, the users and the stores.

The ranting serves no purpose but blind venting. The people who run e-bay aren't checking this forum. The sellers who do visit here aren't going to change their methods because they continue to sell and in the end what choice do we buyers have but to put up with it? All ranting is good for is venting, and that's what the internet is for. Everybody's been screwed by a seller at one point or another, might as well give them a place to blow some steam.

However, continue to watch as international rates drop and the home market continues to rocket and sooner or later everyone's going to be ordering from China because they are just plain tired of being ripped off.

13. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    E-bay sellers are not stores.Only like 10% have a actual store and the rest are casual sellers/power sellers.

There is a max postage you are allowed to ask for on nearly all categories.

And postage rates have increased by 20%+ over the past year.

The sellers are basically being raped by fees and buyers right now so if your pissed at someone be pissed at the Company

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  14. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Yes it does. I ship First Class and Parcel Post all the time with tracking, usually printed from Paypal.

@ The OP -
    You don't seem to understand whats involved in shipping. Since few sellers on eBay are big retailers (buy.com is one) they don't have the large profit margins and product quantities to take a hit on shipping.

Here's a shipping breakdown:
    A 1lb - 1lb 15oz package sent coast to coast via Priority: ~$10, tracked (required by Paypal)
    Same weight as above via Parcel Post $9, tracked
    Insurance: $1.75
    Handling: Usually $1 - $3 (as it's always typically been)

Also, international shipping has continued to increase along with domestic shipping.

If other post offices are like the ones around here, they no longer carry variable rate Priority boxes, so unless the seller orders boxes from USPS online, sellers have to us the Flat Rate Priority boxes which costs a little over $11 tracked.

It adds up fast but if you look at the postage printed on the package (or the weight which you can then calculate the cost at usps.com) you'll probably see the seller's aren't taking the big cut you assume. If they are, contact them or reflect shipping abuse in their feedback or star rating.

I don't know what you're talking about regarding the auction descriptions. I've noticed an improvement in descriptions since eBay took away sellers' ability to neg bad buyers. I'm thinking you're expecting too much. If the auction doesn't say something is complete and the pictures don't show it, why would you assume it is? You can always ask questions before winning.

15. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Mine doesn't if you walk in but online does

16. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    A post office not offering USPS advertised services??? Srsly crazy, yo!

17. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

Quoted for truth. Maybe I'm just lucky, but the ones I find usually state the condition they are in, and if they are complete....

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My 2 Ebay Peeves:

1.) China. I see an item for a GREAT price- Classics Hot Rod for $14!- and then i notice the seller is from China. So the shipping and the wait makes it not really worth it, IMO.

I don't hate China, i just hate that a lot of things I am looking for, are only available from there.

2.) The pics/descriptions are sometimes awful, and the "WYSIWYG" descriptions are annoying. i saw an auction for a G1 Whirl with that term, and the pics were of the bot mode- front and back, but you couldn't see anything.
    IMO, WYSIWYG is as bad as or worse than, "I don't know what the hell this is, but you can buy it anyway for 40 bucks over Lee's Price Guide"

I suppose i am a captialist pig because i like to believe that if you can work smarter, not harder and profit from it, you are doing it right. if ya got 2 lumberjacks, one with an axe, the other with a chainsaw, who should make more in a day?

But i do disagree with outright financial rape of a customer base. No way should a G1 UM cost 35 dollars or more to ship from NJ to Ohio.
    in the end, it is as Optimus Sledge said, you don't have to buy it.
    enough people pass on an item, the prices will drop in time.

19. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My rant - not only do I have to offer free shipping for DVDs already, but now books, comics and magazines as well!?! (and some of those are heavy!)

Yes, yes, I know the standard response - "just included it in your starting price, why are you moaning etc." Well, to include it in my starting price (I normally start all auctions at 99p - e.g. free insertion fee) I then have to start at, say, a few quid, which means I've automatically moved into the "must pay ebay just for the privelege of listing this thing" bracket.

Which of course, is what they wanted all along. I know they are a business to make money, but at almost 10% FVF as well, it's just not worth listing there anymore unless you're guaranteed your item is going to sell for £10+. I heard a rumour a while ago that ebay were trying to force the regular joes from selling on their site, and only have "professional" sellers/shops (so they can charge more for their services)... and it seems to be bearing fruit.

All good for the buyers though right, so how dare I complain...

Bring back Yahoo auctions, all is forgiven.

20. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I must admit that ebay has been losng their minds as of late, its getting to the point that I am starting to give some thought into looking into amazon as an avenue for selling items.

In all honesty, I have lost money on shipping items b/c I didn't charge enough for shipping/ shipping supplies. Just also try to keep that in mind granted its no answers for the outrageous shipping fee, just a bit of insight into how those numbers come up.

I also thought of one more thing, find out if they are using those flat rate usps shipping boxes, MM has been shipping stuff out of here like crazy and we're finding sometimes it cheaper to go by the pound. Just a thought.