ebay question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by swindle125, Apr 15, 2009.

1. swindle125

swindle125 Member

I see that on ebay there are a lot of sellers of transformers from china and hong kong. Is it safe to buy from these people? they have pretty good feedback. I'm just worried if its a scam waiting to happen. Anybody have any experience buying transformers stuff on ebay from sellers in china and hong kong? If you did how long was the shipping time?

2. StephX77

StephX77 Well-Known Member

I have bought from Asia several times with mixed results. The shipping is pricy and takes one to two weeks on average. I have always gotten the item I paid for but sometimes they have come damaged due to the long distance. Being a MISB collector it is a bit annoying. The deals you can get are great overall though I would buy again from Asia

3. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

i've bought some things no problem, but you just have to be careful on shipping and factor that into your final cost. i dont' think i've gotten any "great" deals when you factor in shipping costs.

Randy!

4. kaotic504

kaotic504 Well-Known Member

i've been wondering the same thing. especially for stuff from Singapore.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I've usually received far better, politer service from people selling from Hong Kong than from the UK.

6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it depends I've had good and bad. I once ordered a Gundam kit that came wrapped in news papers with a layer of card around the outside and a whole load of tape (it did not look nice but luckily the kit was fine) and on the flip side I once got an item that was not only sealed inside a layer of air tight plastic it then had 2 layers of bubble wrap and those really big air bags it was awesome.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've brought lots and always had a good experience. I'm not sure we're allowed to give names, but the ones I've brought from the most are toyspark, crozzgundam (sp?) and luckystar (again, sp?).

As some one else said, the service is usually better (and even quicker!) than when I buy from in the UK!

8. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

It's true. And despite a couple of things getting lost in transit, both times the sellers sent out another. But that's the difference between EMS and Registered Airmail, probably had worse ratio for stuff bought within the UK.

In all I have probably bought perhaps 150 items from China/Japan/Singapore and that area of the world through eBay, don't be afraid to do it. And expect to wait 3 weeks for 'registered airmail' before staring to worry.

9. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I've bought several things from Asian sellers over the years, never had a problem to date.

Shipping can take a while, as has been said, about three weeks is typical.

Just check their feedback properly, and ask a question or two to see how their communication is, same as with any ebay sellers.

I've got some random free stuff from such sellers, a ball TF type thing that turns into a bird, sheets of FF and Dragonball stickers, a CD of what appears to be the Korean Britney Spears, and the best one: a DVD of Seven Samurai :D 

10. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Bakugan?

At any rate, i've bought from hong kong/singapore/japan sellers before, generally no problems. Just do the safety checks you would with any seller.

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It depends on the seller, not the location. You are just as likely to get ripped off by someone in North America as you are Asia. The only problem you might encounter is communication if the person does not speak English. I've had 3 transactions from Honk Kong in the last few months and everything went smoothly. Even though shipping is higher, usually the items are much cheaper, so in the end it usually works out to roughly what you would pay here, unless you are of course buying stolen Chinese toys :) 

12. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I have never been ripped off in a transaction from China. I think there is actually less likelihood of it because people living by selling toys there (stolen or otherwise) need the work more than sellers in the west.

For me the shipping cost is much less than from America so I am OK with it. I normally base my eBay purchases on who I have bought from before and know to be good. Give someone a go with a small purchase and if it turns out OK buy a pile from them and save on combined shipping.

13. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    seiously, I have not ever had a problem buying stuff from overseas, be it the UK or Asia. But I have had a shitload of problems with buyers from Asia. Most of my pricy stuff has been bought buy the UK, and I have never had a problem with them as buyers.

14. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

i've bought stuff from a HK ebay seller before, MP SS hasbro and a couple of henkeis. my seller was very good. fast and good communiation. although postage can be quite expensive but it still works out cheaper than buying in the uk.

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I buy from both Hong Kong and Singapore regularly (Asian market DVDs as well as Tranformers toys) and have had zero issues buying from them. The prices are great though you have to watch the shipping. However, most of the time once you've factored in the shipping costs, it works out to about normal retail here in the states or at least marginally cheaper then what most American sellers are asking for on eBay for the same figure. Like when I went to pick up a new Cybertron Scourge (my original took a dive off a top shelf thanks to my cat) and I went looking for a replacement on eBay... couldn't believe the prices most US sellers had a MISB one going for in their stores (this was last year). I went to the eBay store of one of the HK dealer's that I do buisness with regularly and I paid about $30 less after shipping then I would have before shipping from a US seller. Go figure.

16. swindle125

swindle125 Member

thanks for the feedback everyone

17. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I've also had good results from China. I got the g1 cassette KOs a couple of yrs ago shipped by EMS for $50 shipped. They came packed very well which is a good thing because the boxed look like someone played soccer with it. Remember, with Paypal, your protected.

PS - I like your avatar:) 

18. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    plus alot of it varies with what you want to buy....if it is avaliable locally in your country from other ebay sellers...probably better to get it that way...but i just bought a countdown from a singapore seller...godrodimus i believe...arrived a little chingered up...still not bad...

And i have acquired lots of other items with no problems...awaiting ROTF leader megs from TFCTOYS...that should be here next week....

I believe as long as you check the feedback and use paypal you will be fine...

if they advertise EMS or airmail then items usually should get to you at the max in 2 to 2.5 weeks...

19. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    You'll get the item, just don't count on anything being MISB by the time it gets to you. The international postal services can be brutal.

Not saying there aren't cases where things come pristine, just don't count on it.