eBay Question - Is this right?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Darkspeed, May 22, 2009.

1. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just out of curiosity, I was browsing eBay for any Botcon exclusives from previous years. and I came across what appeared to be a great deal on the Games of Deception set - One of my most desired grails!

But looking closer... Well, take a look: Transformers Botcon GAMES OF DECEPTION box insert pin - eBay (item 270346556222 end time Jun-18-09 09:01:08 PDT)

They're asking $150... For just the box! Well, the box with certificate and comic, but still... NO figures from the set are included with this purchase!

Anyone else think this is a bit ludicrous? I'm asking more to the people who buy the exclusives at Botcon really, but in my opinion this just seems like they're exploiting the die hard fans.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    thats insane, i would never pay that much for just the box no matter how nice said box was, that said he may find a taker amoung the ranks that have the set but no box and want it for completion reasons, but i doubt he will get what he wants for it, its just not worth it

edit : now that i have looked at the box he is out of his mind, I thought it might be a real cool one like the one for this years botcon but its not that great of a box, even if i had the figs but no box i wouldn't pay more that $30 shipped for the box and contents as described

3. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Seems fine to me. They are clear about what the listing is, and they can ask whatever they want for it.

There is also an Ebay section this should go in.

4. tomboland

tomboland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the users from toywiz.com. no wonder the price is so ludicrous!!!!!!!!!

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yep.

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    This. Some people with the loose set may want the box. It does make the set look quite snazzy.

7. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    true but what they want for it is insane in my opinion

8. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It might seem insane, but the market will determine if he is out to lunch or not.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Then you'd never get one.

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been hunting empty boxes on ebay (for my G1 collection) for a couple of years now. The Empty Botcon boxes don't go for very much, certainly no where near $150.

There's one on ebay right now that's going for about ~27 with about 4 hours left. I don't see it going much higher.

11. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    i have no current need for one so thats not a problem lol

12. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh yeah, he has every right to... I guess what I was trying to get across was, do you think it is a reasonable price for a box, a bit of paper and a comic book? And if you brought the five figures seperately, for the going eBay amount, would you pay this asking price for the box?

13. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    like i said $150 for that is insane,id never pay it even if i wanted the box+what does come with it

14. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

This brings up a good point.

Not this item specifically, but things of this nature....

Items being offered at maxed out prices, people knowing full well it's ridiculous that anyone should consider said price(s), yet so many folks have the "They're welcome to price it however they want, deal with it" mentality. That's always confused me.

Considering we all bitch about eBay sellers shill bidding and the like, and we brag about our lowball offers being taken and winning it for basically a steal...

It just doesn't make sense.

Seriously people, figure it out, choose which end of it your agree with and stick there. This flip flopping is a bit crazy, honestly.

15. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    It's not really flip flopping. It's just the nature of auction houses like Ebay.

Sometimes sellers try to highball, and sometimes they don't.

Sometimes buyers get to lowball, and sometimes they don't.

16. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    How exactly is it confusing? People can price things for what ever amount they want to. Supply and demand will determine what the actual price will be.

With the box in question, I will be shocked if it sells for that price. However, they are free to ask for it, and who knows... maybe some schmuck will pay it.

17. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I'm not talking about eBay. I already know that the market on eBay fluctuates. I'm talking about the people here, and their flipflupping.

First they bitch about prices being too high, and then a white knight comes in and says "That's their right, doesn't bother me."

Then that white knight comes in and parades his/her lowballed treasure he/she won from eBay, and says "I can't believe I got such a good deal, have you seen the prices for these lately?"

Followed by cheers and applause from their fellow posters for getting a good deal.

It baffles me to no end. So which is it? You're okay with others dealing in extortion, or not? Seems to be it's okay when it's not happening to YOU*.

That, to me, is flipflopping.

*= not aimed specifically at you, Bgrngod. It's all of the people who do this.

And this further proves my point, that it's okay when the extortion isn't happening to you..

18. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the Botcon boxsets, I'd gladly pay that price... As long as everything came with it, of course! ^^;

A fair point, defiantely... Until this point, I thought I knew exactly what to expect from eBay pricing. I definately don't condone of people charging insane prices for stuff people want, and I can honestly say I've never overpaid for anything TF related... But then again, when shouldn't we brag about getting a sweet deal on eBay? :p 

19. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Bragging's fine if the last thing you said wasn't "So what? Let 'em price it how they want. Suckers will pay it." That, to me, says it's okay to let the sellers screw everyone else but you, when we shouldn't allow sellers to do just that. There's a big difference between what you think it's worth and what it actually is.

We allow too many sellers to abuse the prices set on eBay.

20. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

But who are the sellers screwing, really? If the seller sets a price and someone is willing to pay that price, then I don't think anyone's getting screwed as long as the item is described honestly. The buyer wouldn't make the bid if they thought the price were unreasonable.