eBay problem, what to do when someone overpays?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Nov 13, 2011.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hi, I have a little dilemma.

In a nutshell, I sold 5 toys which in the auction should have combined cost at £45 and postage at the cost of one, plus £1 each additional, which should have been £12 or so, a total of £57 (ish).

But what the buyer seems to have done is paid for them all seperately so postage has not been combined (ie, he's paying full postage for all) making a whopping £88 (ish) which he has already paid.

Now I'm sitting on the parcel, because I've sent him a message telling him about his overpayment, and how does he want his reimbursement but I have recieved no reply yet.

Do I just send it then sort out the overpayment? (not my first choice). Could this be some kind of scam, ie, I send the items then he raises a dispute with eBay/paypal and gets all of the money back?

Urgh. I wish eBay messaging was a lot more... comprehensive. eBay tells me that I have a message from the buyer, and that I can view it in the 'sales record' but I can't for the life of me find any such message anywhere.

:mad  :confused:  :dunce 

2. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    reverse the payment and send out an updated invoice

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Refund the difference?

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Just ignore it till he replies.It could be a week before he gets the message.

Just make sure there is some sort of del-con to protect yourself from fraud(maybe get insurance)

5. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Send him a partial refund, the amount of the overpaid shipping, and let him know in the payment that he overpaid. Also, I've had buyer do the same thing, and I've never had any problem refunding the difference.

6. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

This is what I do,

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Used to send people refunds through Paypal, and leave a little note that they overpaid.

That way it'll go into his account without having to deal with all the messaging & wierdness.
    Your prompt honesty will bypass everything.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah just refund the difference. Since it's ebay and it's a purchase payment you can do partial refunds so just send the difference back to the buyer. It's cleaner and there will be a record of it on both ends.

9. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Quick update, I've not recieved any reply from the guy, and FINALLY found that message he sent me.

On the left hand side of you main eBay page which lists all your items, there's a little sales number. Turns out when you click this it brings up a more detailed page about the item, buyer/seller etc. Presumably to make it easier to collate information.

In this page was a one sentence line from the buyer asking me to 'consider reduced fees/shipping costs', but the problem was he had already paid the full amount that eBay initially asked for, so eBay had pretty much locked down the entire page, so I can't send him a new invoice or anything.

Anyway because I got no reply I sent him another message, refunded him the difference and will send the item out today, and hope for the best. I do find it irritating when buyers don't reply to messages sent by the seller.

Anyway cheers for the help guys, I didn't know about the partial refund thing or any of that.

10. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've had it happen to me as well.
    Buyer bought two items and paid for them before I could send out the combined shipping invoice. Just refunded them the difference through PayPal with a note saying something to that effect.

11. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, the solution is very simple, but I've never refunded anything before so I was kinda like a rabbit in headlights.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Ask him how he'd like the money back, unless you can just reverse the payment or part of it and such without fees.