Ebay/Paypal trouble question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cruellock, May 29, 2007.

1. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

So it seems like someone has finally decided to target me and act like a jerk on Ebay. I sold a used copy of collector's edition of a game, and when they got it, they claim the box was damaged and want a "partial" refund. Thing is, it was in perfect condition when I sent it, plus it was wrapped in bubble wrap, and placed in a box. Now from the crappy picture they sent of the damage, there's no way at all the damage could have been done by accident. It looks like someone ripped it on purpose, and since they failed to mention that the box it was sent in was open and the bubble wrap not there, it's pretty hard to believe a mailman did it.

So now they've raised a dispute with Paypal so they can get money back. I've been told some people do this just to get some of their money back since they've got buyer's remorse or something. Anyone else ever have this happen to them? If so, what was the outcome? Am I going to lose this dispute?

2. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Sellers have it hard on Ebay,sO most likely you'll lose.
    From what I've read on ebay,in most cases the person to file a complaint first will win for the most part.
    Did you have it insured?

3. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Nope, they didn't want to pay for insurance.

4. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I think you'll be ok. As long as they got the item, paypal will probably rule in your favor, especially since they they didn't want to pay for insurance(which you should mention to paypal).

5. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

From the horror stories I've heard with paypal and ebay, prepare to be screwed. Paypal 99.999999% of the time takes the buyers side, no matter what.

6. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    That's why I've always used some kind of tracking(DC or UPS). If you can prove you've shipped it, paypal will side with you.

7. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

lol,Maybe if you're lucky. Many a buyer has made false claims of recieve broken items and such,even going as far to claim they sent the items back{without DC or Tracking} and Paypale will still side with them.

8. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good luck with Paypal ... they can be kinda useless at times. I have had issues of my own with buyers that claim items were damaged when they werent when it left my hands.

The fact that you offered insurance and they did not take it is a good thing.

Did you include images of the item in your initial listing? That would be in your favor as well ... if you did

9. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

There was a picture but I didn't put a ton of pictures at every angle for the auction. Guess I should do that from now on, but here's the funny part: they've got another dispute going with another seller. The buyer bought the same exact game from another seller, and are claiming the product they received was damaged in the exact same way. 2 games, both damaged in the exact same ways "during shipping" from 2 different sellers.

10. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Here in funny land we call that a scam.
    If possible try to reach the other guy in the dispute,both of you may need to go to either UPS or USPS and report this as fraud.

There was a link on Ebay at one time for this kinda of problem.

11. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    No, they won't. It states right on the site that if you don't have DC or tracking, your SOL.

I had a buyer claim that a MISB nemesis prime was damaged when he recieved it, and that he sent it back to me. He wanted his money back. When he couldn't provide proof that it was shipped back to me, Paypal ruled in my favor.

12. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Well, it's been resolved and I lost. It's nice to know that cheaters always win.

13. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

My friend just had a problem with Paypal. He sold an Apple mouse that has some design aspects some people would consider a defect, its pressure sensative and to right click you can't be touching the left click area which is very sensative. Guy wanted his money back plus shipping and the cost of shipping for the return saying he went to the apple store and tested their mouse which some how worked differently. Was refused a refund (as stated in the auction) and sent links to several articles covering the mouse and its short comings.

Pay Pal didnt respond by the deadline (same process with the sending of the articles etc) then all of a sudden the deadline was extended and the buyer claimed that he was shipped a different mouse than advertised.

Paypal came back and said he was entitled to a full refund including the initial shipping charge but not the return shipping costs, they required a shipping number to verify the return and sent my friend an email saying that he had authorized them to remove the amount for the refund from his account upon receipt.

Luckily the guy never shipped the mouse back because my friend was ready to fight Pay Pal from removing funds from his bank account that he didn't authorize.

If you get your game back and it has been damaged then I would contact your bank/credit providers and explain whats going on and that you did not authorize for the money to be withdrawn.

14. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you got hosed.

15. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

I like to think that ppl who play with toys and games are generally nice and kind people.

However, after getting ripped off by a buyer from Canada (claims never received Soundblaster), I only ship within USA and always get tracking. Hopefully this will cover my ass in a similar situation...

Sorry to hear Paypal did not decide in your favor. I'm not even sure what the hell a "Paypal claims agent" does - is he even real???

16. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Well, they have to send me the product back in 10 days. It's big, it's heavy, and it needs to be here in 10 days or they lose their refund. It would cost them $23 to send it back to me, so they would technically be refunded a whopping $7 if they really want to see this thru. I wonder if they'll go through with it.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mean to er, "interrupt" this thread but I have some problems too and here are my questions:

i) I bought some stuff (MSIA Gundam) from ebay and when the package was delivered, the toy boxes were crushed. Since I paid for insurance, what are the actions can I take?

ii) How does a partial refund work? Would Pay Pal automatically offset the funds I receive from the seller?

Cruellock, I understand your pain but it could be the mailman's fault?

18. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Talk to the seller.

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem is the seller is "avoiding" the problem. I've sent him 2 messages and regarding the delays in shipping and the damage and the only reply I got are the tracking numbers of the parcels.