eBay/PayPal Advice Required (Please?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AnimatedFan, Apr 29, 2009.

1. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I bought an item from a seller in Hong Kong and during our negotiations using the Make An Offer system, I clearly said I wanted EMS shipping (he quoted me $25.00 for Registered Airmail, $30.00 for EMS) so I paid the extra $5.00, and we finally met a price we both agreed with. (He lost about $20.00 off of his asking price, so $5.00 wouldn't have made a difference...)

Well, it's now two days later and he emails me the tracking number, and surprise, surprise...it's a Registered Airmail number (I could tell by the RA at the beginning)

So I emailed him and told him I paid for EMS, not RA, and that I think he might've sent me the wrong number (you as well as I know that most likely isn't the case, I probably got stiffed on the shipping) and now I'm awaiting a reponse (which most likely won't be until 5 this morning or so.)

Now, here's the question...

If this is the right tracking number and he didn't use the shipping option I wanted, what do I do?

Do I take it to PayPal and ask for my $5.00 back? (I don't actually want to quibble over $5.00)

Do I neg him for pocketing the difference and screwing me with the slower shipping method (or at the very least a neutral)?

Or do I just thank my lucky stars I'll get the damn thing sometime and either give him positive or no feedback at all?

I guess I could report him to eBay for pulling that on me, but is it really worth it?

I specifically paid for EMS shipping so I could have it SOON. (EMS from HK generally takes 4-5 days to my location.) Yet now I'm stuck waiting God knows how long for this thing to arrive (Last two times I ordered RA, it took close to THREE WEEKS (in transit! Not counting the handling time before shipping!) to receive my items before. The last time was 22 days.)

...and it's going to drive me batshit crazy. The whole point of paying extra was to receive it SOON. Not way, way, way later.

That's what really pisses me off the most is the waiting game. (I sincerely hate it with a passion.)

Plus the guy's feedback isn't terrible, but it isn't the best either. He's been known to not ship items at all (some of you have purchased from him, I won't say the name here, so as to not cause any problems.) or take forever to get them shipped.

So I really don't know what to do. I appreciate any input you folks might have, and I'm sorry for it being so long winded, I'm just pissed.

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    There are more things to be pissed about other than five dollars. I'm not sure how the feedback feature works on ebay, because i don't use ebay. But i would leave him negative feedback because you paid for something (shipping) and didn't get it. But i wouldn't worry about the five dollars. That would be too much of a hassle. hoff.

3. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    You should probably give him a little time to refund the $5.00. It's possible he doesn't do the shipping himself, and there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line.

If he won't make things right, then neg him. Poor feedback will do him a lot more damage than $5.00.

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I've paid Priority shipping for things only to have it sent Parcel Post, you just learn to deal with it.

5. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tell him his skimping $5 on the shipping cost him the next couple of items you were thinking of buying him, and all it cost you was a footlong sammich.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Give it another 3-5 days atleast , see what happens before you make a bad move.

My guess is you'll be over the whole thing by then. Sucks you have to put up with it though.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    give him 3 - 5 days to make it right ( which seems unlikely) if he doesn't then give the negative review , if the figures arrivein anything but promised condition then strengthen the negative review if possible

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

The seller was just recouping some of the money lost from his asking price by shipping it cheaper. If you want to get that $5 back you can certainly go through paypal or complain to ebay, but I think all the time and energy isn't worth the $5 so I'd wait for the item to arrive safe and sound before going any further with this.

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Wait to see what the guy says. If he doesn't refund the money, start a dispute. It's going to cost you, at worst, a little bit of the time you spend browsing the internet for gossip about toy robots. Fuck the "it's only $5" attitude, the guy quoted a price and hasn't delivered on it. If he doesn't make it right, do everything you can to hammer him.