ebay & Italy

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Takeshi357, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I have a question here, maybe someone could shed some light into the matter.

I've noticed a lot of sellers on ebay, when they do offer international shipping, refuse to ship to Brazil and Italy. I understand Brazil has a notoriously high rate of parcel theft, is it the same thing with Italy? Or is it just that the Italian postal service is ridicilously slow, with some sellers estimating shipping time to Italy taking like 45 days or something?

I'm asking because I might want to buy something from an Italian seller but I want to know what are my odds of actually getting my stuff.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Italian customs blocks all toys not made wholly of wood. And they're notoriously slow to the point where any normal person would assume the package is lost.

I also refuse to send to Peru for the reasons you already mentioned about Brazil.

3. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    By blocking I hope you don't mean they ban private imports altogether, because that'd be stupid.

Anyway, I'm asking about buying something FROM Italy and if anyone has any experience about that.

4. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

I think, OUTBOUND Italian post is ok. (?)

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'm not going to google the document, but that's the rule. Nobody said laws had to make sense.

From Italy should be fine. You might want to spring for the expensive shipping just to be safe, though.

6. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Brazil is also notorious for sellers simply taking the money and running. They don't use paypal, and a lot of banks actually cannot ensure money if it sent through Banco Santandar. (major bank of brazil). I made that mistake big time thinking I could use ebay brazil.

I would say you have a decent chance of getting the item SENT from italy, especially if you are using paypal you should be ok.

7. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Well I did mention shipping to Brazil, but considering that, I wouldn't be surprised if they got the item and then claimed they never received it anyway as well.

There are sellers for the item I want in Japan and Hong Kong as well, but it's cheapest in Italy and since it's in the eurozone, I won't risk customs charges either.

Also, I noticed this. Ships to N & S America, Europe, Asia...and then the exclusions list has every single country from those continents? :sly2: 

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I believe that's the case. Buying from Italian sellers seems to be fine but sending items there cam be a nightmare. I used to know someone who had no problems with buying from Italy. Problem is shipping maybe slow and if the seller records and send the parcel to the correct address.

9. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Bumpan'

I'd just like to thank everyone who posted in this thread. My shopping experience went remarkably well, took less than a week from buying to unboxing :D 

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Glad you enjoyed your haul dude!

11. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Don't ship to France either unless they pay for UPS or something. Their postal system does not support tracking and I got screwed that way once.