eBay Increases Fees Again - Alternate Auction Sites?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by dakroland, Jul 21, 2006.

1. dakroland

dakroland I fix toys.

Ebay:
    (Mods, if this is in the wrong category, please accept my humble apologies, and move it to a more appropriate one.)

eBay has increased their listing and final value fees for their online Stores. They did this to make their core standard auction listings look more "advantageous" over store listings..but these latest increases in fees may kill the small dollar items and drive sellers out of eBay. I sell a lot of small parts on eBay, mainly Transformers accessories. This latest round of fee increases means I'll be earning even less for each item I sell. eBay charges a small fee currently (2ยข per item) to list in my eBay store, and then they take a higher percentage of the final value when it sells than if it sold through a standard auction (currently 8% for items selling up to $25, soon it will be 10%). And they get you with a $15.00 a month store fee, too. Not only that, Sellers get socked with a fee when accepting Paypal payments. Of course, Paypal is owned by eBay, so it all goes to eBay in the end.

What this has force me to consider is what other Auction sites are out there that would make good sense for a seller like me to list with? I don't do this as a means of primary income. It's mainly a hobby for me, and a way to make a little extra money to spend on purchasing more Transformers. But in order to make money, I'd either have to stop selling small dollar items, or increase my prices/add handling fees to cover these increases. This would almost certainly have the effect of chasing away buyers, and eventually, I presume I'd have to close my auctions altogether.

So I need an alternative to eBay. I have found 3 that look promising, but I'm not sure which is a good option....

Yahoo Auctions offers free listings and no final value fees, but currently I could only find 232 listings from a search for "Transformers", and only 98 in the Transformers category. It seems like the best option, but I'm not sure if items will sell quickly...

ePier is basically what eBay used to be before it got too big for it's britches, much lower fees than eBay, but they don't have a relisting fee, which means you can pay one listing fee, and relist for free forever if you need to. I listed 50 auction there for 6 months and never sold a single item. Currently, there are 3 items that show up on a search for "Transformers".

OnlineAuction is billed as a refuge for former eBay sellers, with a simple $8 a month membership fee, free listings and no final value fees. There doesn't seem to be as many listings there either, my last search turned up only about 4 items, and 3 of them were there 4 months ago when I had last checked out the site.

These three seem like good alternatives for eBay, but only via their 'potential', not in how they are now. Does anyone know of other auction sites that would be good, or maybe one of these three would be better? Which would you choose as an alternative?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    there's also tfauctions.com

3. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    tfieds.com

4. dakroland

dakroland I fix toys.

Ebay:
    I checked it out and registered, but their fees are all listed in GBP. Not a big deal, I have a conversion widget in my Mac, but it's a little confusing after I register as a seller from the US. Yahoo Auctions still has a couple advantages over TFAuctions. More listings, and no fees. TFAuctions is specialized with just Transformers auctions...but the fee structure is the deal breaker. Their FAQ is limited, and their forum doesn't work. I'm not sure that's a good bet at this time.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've bookmarked it for now, and I'll keep checking back.

5. dakroland

dakroland I fix toys.

Ebay:
    Bookmarked it. Lots of Transformers listings, but I'm not sure it's quite what I'm looking for in regards to my many small items, but it appears to be quite active. Definitely a top-of-list suggestion. Thanks Nightscream!

6. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

It sucks that ebay is giving the store people the hose, they shouldn't do that. Also, you can upgrade your paypal so you pay a small monthly fee and then you don't get charged for payments. Depends which costs more, I suppose.

However, I would like to point out that ebay is 1) the biggest, 2) high bandwidth, and 3) very secure. ebay costs a lot to run, I'm sure, and advertising only covers so much.

They still shouldn't shaft the store people, though, there's no reason for it.:throw 

EDIT: I forgot, ebay has pretty good customer service (for bad bidders and whatnot) and that's something to keep in mind while searching other auction sites.

7. dakroland

dakroland I fix toys.

Ebay:
    I know what you mean...but because they're the biggest, wouldn't that mean they can cut fees and save sellers money, thereby bringing MORE sellers and buyers in? They're cutting off their nose to spite their face by this action. Unfortunately, if there are no viable alternatives, we may have to do the equivalent of bending over and taking it. Because, as you said, eBay is the biggest game in town.

I have 4 days to decide what to do, then I start closing down my store.

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    All I know is that I sold some nascar diecasts on ebay last week and got $400. The ebay fees were $40. That's not right. It was 10%. Boo.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

but you gotta think, without ebay, would you really have been able to have sold those items for that much? I still think ebay's great.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I agree. It was money well spent as I'd have been lucky to get half that through classifieds or a yard sale. It just sucks that the fees has gone up so much in the last couple years.

11. dakroland

dakroland I fix toys.

Ebay:
    I don't agree. eBay was great at one time, but their constant increases in fees are getting beyond ridiculous. Some sellers don't make that much money to begin with. Every once in a awhile you might sell a nice piece like that for more money than you expected, but that's not always the case.

Apparently the mainstream Media has been made aware of this deal. It would appear that eBay has stirred up a hornet's nest with this decision. One thing eBay doesn't want is a whole bunch of bad publicity. I think they may be forced to back down. We'll have to see.

12. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    k... they charge me 35 cents, everytime I list an auction

I just looked up antique, and got 297,992 auctions.

that's 100,000 dollars, just from listing fee's! the final value fee's they get from that would be 3 or 4 times that. and auctions usually only last a week, so they're getting hundreds of thousands of dollars every week, just from antiques. type in DVD, and you get 500,000 plus auctions. type in TOY and you get over 1.1 million auctions.

from those 3 catagories, that's over $625,000 dollars, and that's just listing fee's

are they really using that much money a week to pay for servers/staff/buildings/whatever that they need to increase fee's?

like you know, I don'treally need to complain, 35 cents is cheap, its pretty much nothing compared to the money I get after I sell something.. but why increase the fee? just makes ebay look greedy

13. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Haven't heard any mainstream media coverage of this yet, but I did find this gem:

The obvious response is "WTF?!?!?" eBay is a MARKETPLACE. The more stuff you have in a marketplace, the more likely it is you'll be able to find a good deal. If the objective is to make eBay LESS popular, then why would anyone want to shop there?

However, the key phrase is "eBay's GMV growth has not been as strong as we would like". Obviously, everything about the article is basically BS, EXCEPT for that. They can put whatever spin on it they want to, but at the end of the day it's a business decision -- as better explained here.

Translation: In reality, eBay doesn't WANT store listings, because it's costing them money. They PARTICULARLY don't want low priced items -- be it in a store listing or an auction (though one wonders what would happen if all those store listings spontaneously converted to auctions).

Basically, nothing would make them happier than if you closed your store down and went elsewhere. Never mind what the SHOPPER or the SELLER wants.

-XCN-

14. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    There is also Amazon Marketplace, where you can start with low priced items and move up. They have no "insertion" fees, and have lower final fees then eBay. Unfortunately, you can't just sell anything there. Amazon needs to have a listing for the item in their systems before you can list it.