eBay Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matrix Soul, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Hi guys, never thought I would start one of these threads but here I am.

Ok here is the deal, I decided to sell my iPhone 3G on eBay after getting a 3Gs. The item is inspected and cleaned up with a lint-free cloth before packed into the origial box with all the accessories as well as a Apple Bluetooth headset.

The guy got back to me today and said that there was a crack on the bottom of the casing. [​IMG]
    Now mind you I have never dropped my phone, it was always in a Griffin protective case, and when I was cleaning the phone I was not aware of a crack, especially one that size.

I shipped the item to the address he told me to ship it to, which was in NY, so I offered to bring the phone to him in person, to which he declined. Now it turns out, that the phone was shipped to him after it was received by someone in NY, but the actual buyer is not from NY. He's now asking for a partial refund because
    This buyer has also purchased more than 6 iPhone 3G over the last month and they were all 16 gigs, and he also wrote this in an e-mail back to me.

So now my question is, what should I do?

Attached Files:

2. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Hey pal, use the eBay thread, I think its his fault though.

But try to talk to him, and try not to jump to conclusions.

3. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    Sorry! Mods would you mind giving this thread a punt?

and I have been talking to him, it's just that it seems fishier every time he responds. He didn't even tell me that he does not live in NY. He just said that he was not in NY at the moment, and that when he gets back he will inspect the phone, when in reality the phone was sent to him in who knows where he is.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should have taken pics before you packed the phone.
    anything like that as extra protection from a possible scam.
    at the moment, even if a dillweed of a middleman got it before he did and he did almost everything wrong, he has a pic or two that is hard to refute.

my gut tells me he wants a "bent can" discount. and when he sells the phone to someone else, he'll hide the crack in a case and it will be a while before the customer finds out.
    if you have it as an option, fight for a paypal claim.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I got to agree with this ^ and for the size of the "crack" which seems more scratch to me and even if it is a Crack it in all likelyhood would in no way impair the function of the Iphone ( ill admit i know nothing of the inner workings of any cellphones let alone an Iphone) Also you said it was in Used condition you never stated Mint or perfect so the guy is being a real ass to complain about it and id think its a scam

6. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    Well, talking to a friend last night I realized that when I shipped the phone I did end up getting the insurance for it, and even with all the horror story I heard about eBay I did take the precaution by taking a video of the entire packaging process, even took the phone out and powered it up to show that the phone works, but did not realize that I should have taken video of the phone all around :( 

Like I said the phone was in a case from the moment I got it, and a crack like that would only result from a phone being dropped without a case, or with a case that's damaged from the drop. I'm still using the same case that I had on the 3G, so I know that didn't happen.

Anyone who knows me can tell you that I baby that phone, or all the iPhone that I own, the first iPhone I have is still working and no cracks which is going to the sister in-law. That's why the moment I saw that picture I said "No way that's my phone".

Anyway, so I wrote the guy an e-mail to tell him the SKU on the insurance that I bought with the UPS shipping, it's insured up to $300, so if the guy that got the item for him in NY wants to claim it, he's welcome to, but my friend said that I'm not responsible for any handling after that point.

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bluff the guy. Tell him you have video you took of the phone as well as the shipping process, and there was no crack in it at the time. Tell him his 'friend' in NY cracked it, and that's who he needs to go to for any reimbursement.

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    At this point tell him to send it back for a refund.

Lokks like a case of trying to get a discount to me.

9. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He probably took a key or a nail and scratched it as deep as he could so that you would think that you screwed up. Tell the guy if he wants a refund then send the phone back with confirmation and you'll refund the purchase price.

10. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

No matter what you do you're screwed. I sold a game a couple years back and it and it's case were in perfect condition. I had pictures proving it was fine. After the buyer received it, they wanted a refund because the box was damaged and then sent a picture of the game's box which had a man-made tear in it, claiming I sold them a damaged product. I gave the picture I took to ebay/Paypal, and they still took the buyers side.

Now they didn't get away completely, they couldn't get their money back without sending me the product back and THEY had to pay the shipping (first time they sent it back there was a customs fee on it so I sent it back to them because I refused to pay).

The only advice you can get is just watch out, people are going to try and do things like this.

11. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'd offer a token discount, 2-5% or so, to get him to drop the deal. Though if the shipping insurance is set up so that the receiver has to deal with it, let him deal with it and wash your hands of the deal.

12. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    Let them take it up with USPS or whoever it was that you used to ship through. It's insured, that is what insurance is for. If they don't want to deal with that then that is their problem, not yours. But if I was you, I would have him record a small clip showing you that particular phone and zooming in on the serial # so that you can tell if its yours or not. Pictures can easily be photoshopped hence why I suggested a video clip. Yeah, video clips are easy to edit, if you know what you are doing which I doubt he would.

13. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    He wrote today that he's going to leave me a negative comment and open a dispute with eBay, and here we go! This would probably be the last time I ever sell anything on eBay BTW :( 

14. Mr.Roboto

News Credits:
    As long as it was insured then there shouldn't be a problem. He has to provide proof that its the one you had originally sent him. Don't worry about the negative.

15. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    The buyer has opened a Paypal dispute and is seeking for $75 refund, I've escalated to a claim

16. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    Fucking lovely, Paypal sided with the buyer and now he's supposed to return the phone to me for a full refund. So now I'm stuck with a damaged phone which was not damaged when it left my possession, how is that fair? I guess I'll just give the phone to a family member, I've completely lost faith in eBay and Paypal after this ordeal.

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    ouch that sucks man

18. Mr.Roboto

News Credits:
    Uh, you should have asked Paypal to ask the guy to provide proof that the phone in question is indeed the phone you sent. If he can't provide proof that the serial # on the phone is the one you sent then I would claim fraud. And like I said, video clip not photo (which is easy to photoshop). Once you get it back then you are stuck with it, even if its not the one you sent him. Plus, that is the reason insurance was provided on the packaging. WTF is it good for, if not for this situation?

19. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    And this is why I'm not going to be a seller on eBay unless it is some inconsequential item.

20. Matrix Soul

News Credits:
    I won't be able to claim for insurance because the buyer has till Sept. 9th to provide Paypal with the tracking info for the phone to be sent back, and by the time I get the phone it will be well over the 15 day limit for claiming :(  All I know is that this situation has put me off of ever selling on eBay again.

P.S. Did you know that once you escalate a dispute to a claim (which I did because the buyer and I had already been trying to work it out in e-mails), you automatically agreed to Paypal's verdict? No appeals. Lesson definitely learned there!