Ebay have just destroyed my business

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Red leader, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Speaking as a man who rarely cusses while sober:

This is fucking ridiculous, gormless, thick-faced, asshole, pencil-pusher bullshit. No living soul on this earth would ever have the titanium balls to say to another honest person's face "you are suspended, you may not be reinstated, but THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for your business over the last 4 years!", without packing a firearm or the ability to punch through steel to back that horseshit up. I despise the tactic used in that last line of the email, as in my opinion it spits square in the face of the ideals of civil and professional attitude.

I intend to tell every single person I am on good speaking terms with why they should never sell on ebay again for the sake of their own longterm sanity, if they bring up using it as an avenue for sales.

I suspect that they may have added something in their TOS that allows for the laughable act of suspending a long-standing good user of their site without explaining why in even the vaguest sense of clarity. That's really all I can think of at the moment.

Am I overreacting? Clearly! :D  But sometimes it takes one random incident to get me really going. So in closing...

eBay sucks.

2. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They've got 48 hours before we give them a legal shot in the ass, we're trying to get our accounts shut and our personal and financial details back, fingers crossed, and thanks again for all the cool and kind words! :) 

3. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    good point about your personal info - Good luck with things and definitely keep us informed about your new store and site!

4. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a good idea - contact Watchdog (the BBC program). They loving having a go at companies who do this sort of thing.

(I encourage anyone else who's had a problem with Ebay to do the same. The more people who do this the more likely they are to take it up).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog

5. Red leader

News Credits:
    Just got a good lot of info from my solicitor regarding ebay and their practices, Ebay regularly breach the 1st, 5th and 6th principles of the data protection act upon suspending an account that isnt suspected of being involved in fraudulent activity, so we are talking about accounts suspended for under performing in the feedback stakes.

Under these clauses they have no right to retain your personal or financial details, the breach they commit is wholesale and indefensible in a civil court, I have authorised a letter from my solicitor to ebay about the whole matter and the outcome should be that they have to ''by law'' allow me to close my accounts and retain my personal information , failure to do so is punishable by an unlimted fine.

Now wouldnt it be funny if this info could be made freely available, can you imagine the amount of crap ebay would be in??? they would have 1000's of users on their back with no way to defend their coporate bully boy antics, wishful thinking I know but hopefully this info is helpful to others aswell as just me. :) 

6. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Now that is VERY interesting, especially considering how paraniod companies are supposed to be about the Data Protection Act.
    Part of me is somewhat hesitent to believe that a company as big as eBay would leave themselves so wide open for such a cut and dried legal ass-kicking, but the more realisitic side of me thinks that it wouldn't be the first time a large corperation has decided that the rules don't apply to them, or that they can afford to take the settlement payouts as part of their operating costs, or that they simply haven't properly thought out the legal implications of a new policy.
    Keep us updated, Red Leader, and here's hoping you can make ebay twist in the wind a little. As Trek said, Watchdog might be interested to know...

7. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

I would go public with this story ASAP. Hit up Watchdog or your local news because eBay must know that you have a voice. Companies like eBay need to get it through their thick skulls that they can not play with personal information. They also need to disclose all details about any suspension; failure to do so is withholding information, and that won't look good in a legal battle.

I would push this to the public and legal eyes. :eek: 

Good luck, and I support you in all your ventures.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Give 'em HELL, bro. they deserve it!

9. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    gl, hopefully u got money to back up ur suit

10. Red leader

News Credits:
    indeed I do :) 

11. hoots

hoots Well-Known Member

You really have no idea what you did? I dont mean to accuse you of being dishonest or anything like that... but i would think that 9 times out of 10 people probably know what they did.

Reading over the 11 pages in this thread it sounds like you are that unfortunate 10/10 who was just blindsided.

I dont see how ebay could benefit from losing you as a high volume seller? So why would they fabricate a charge?

It is truly frustrating that they wont tell you why. If there was some type of misunderstanding perhaps it could be discussed.

I just dont see, from a business standpoint, why ebay would want to wrongfully ban people? 12 month band? For a first offense? That just doesnt add up to me... You have had no problems? Warnings? or infractions in the past?

Are we getting the whole story here?

Regardless, i wish you the best of luck with your brick and mortar store and potential website. Ill be sure to check it out when up as your reputation here deserves that.

Best Regards

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'll gladly step up to defend Andy. He's a top-notch seller. The only way to have a problem with him is to be the problem yourself.

Good luck with giving them hell, Andy. Best of luck with the store. I'll definitely check out the website once it's up (no guarantees on buying anything... It usually isn't cheaper to buy from across the pond... But if it's only a few bucks difference, you got my business).

13. Red leader

News Credits:
    Totally understand your question :) 

All we can think is its because our new ebay store was registered to our address but in my wifes name and not mine like our other one, this was purely for tax reasons and invoicing purposes.

Ebay wont even talk to us via email or telephone now and we have had no way of sorting it out with them, however I think its the kick up the ass we needed to make a real go of things and was probably for the best, they seem to have gone from an online community to a real police state of late but one that has no reasoning.

Anyways I am done with teh bay and will say no more about it.

Thanks SB1 :)  your a legend!!!

14. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I use an eBay store along with our main site and find your story very interesting. While the exposure on eBay can not be beat, I use the opportunity to defer customers to our main site. It sucks that you can not do this now that eBay has kicked you off. We are also thinking about abandoning the eBay channel with the new rules and policies.

You should really go the local news route. Not only will they cover your side of the story but they will try to get answers from eBay themselves.

15. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I'm going to do something similar, using my current ebay store to promote items in my own e-shop. I've almost had it completely with the amount ebay (and paypal) charges me in fees.

Andy, you should defiantly contact the EDP or BBC Look East. They run regional stories like this all the time (and Look East have been asking for stuff).

16. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    this whole thing makes me angry. and you wouldn't like Mr Poho when he's angry.

17. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, if you received neutral feedback from too many clearly there was a reason for them. Maybe you should take this time to re-evaluate the way you do business.

18. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

I've had it with E-Bay as well someone used my CLOSED Bank Account to have items shipped to ??? and because of that I am in the hole -$667.56

I never got the items but THEY payed whoever the seller was and I never saw ANY of the items that got sent to me..I called them,e-mailed them and let them know but since they said it was my account I had to do make those transactions....well I told them provide me signature proof,or proof of delivery at my address before you charge me for the shit..guess what that didn't and won't happen...screw E-Bay!

:mad 

And I had Paypal credit & and Debit card for funds so why would I pull this shit?

:crazy: 

19. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    He had 4 since Christmas man. 4!!! Out of 3006 feedback. And DSRs of all above 4.8 if I remember correctly.

Maybe you should take this time to read the thread before passing comment ;) 

20. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Start making some calls. Ebay has been horrible lately. I had a friend suspended for shill bidding even though he absolutely wasn't.

eBay Contact Information United Kingdom

0700 500 3229 (eBay General Number — UK Calling Rates Apply)
    020 8605 3111 (UK Power Seller's Help Line — UK Calling Rates Apply)
    0906 665 8030 (eBay Customer Service — UK Calling Rates Apply)
    0906 665 8030 (eBay Customer Service — UK Calling Rates Apply)

eBay Address UK

eBay UK Ltd, Complaints Department
    PO Box 659, Richmond-upon-Thames
    Surrey, TW9 1TX

http://consumerist.com/tag/holy-gra...dresses-and-phone-numbers-you-could-ever-want