eBay Flash Sale Discussion and Commentary Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by kibble, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Aaronstampler

Aaronstampler Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, more and more Chinese sellers do this now. I'm not trying to be prejudiced or painting with a broad brush and I'm just asking because I honestly don't know, is this a cultural thing? Like, are there sales practices over there that we may see as unethical and unprofessional that are just socially accepted over there as routine business? I would really like input on this from a native Chinese person. If it's not seen as bad business from their perspective then I will stop getting upset and offended by it even though it'll never stop being annoying.

2. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

You do know that Ebay also has auctions for vehicles and big ticketed items, right?

3. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

I've likely not bought of one of these Online Retailers in several years. Their communication is so beyond terrible and hey kept sending me poorly packed smashed up boxes on premium price items - I got sick of dealing with them - for that reason I only use eBay sellers I trust for hi ticket items.

Beside what with eBay bucks, Nectar Points, 5% 10% and 15% coupons and topcashback vouchers - I feel like an idiot if I didn't use eBay.
    As for Chinese sellers - it's not that hard to find the good ones.

Some of them are cheaper buy speak lousy english, Some of them are a hair more expensive but have good communication.

So No I don't plan on no using ebay - but I will delay my spending on less important stuff for the sales more than I used to do - It makes sense to do that I just got a bunch of eBay small buys with lots of vouchers and stuff on them saving £2.50 ($3.50) on items under $10.00 (£7.00) is pretty worthwhile it allows me to buy those frivolous little things like bonus weapons.

4. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Didnt get anything, cause i already had ordered Xtransbot Cliffjumper (and just got it in hand), and Xtransbot Crackup and BC Red Alert, and that is about all i really wanted.

Had they have Xtransbot Wildrider, i would have had something to order, but nope.

5. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I passed this time. Nothing really yelled, "Hey, buy me". Like above, if X-trans Wildrider was on, or MMC Cliffjumper, I'd be singing a different song. Also, I buy from 4 Different Chinese sellers and I've never had a problem with them. A problem with TFC and a problem with the USPS are my only issues. I'll continue buying from Chinese sellers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just stick with the good Chinese Ebay sellers that other's have vouched for and you should be fine. I've been saving $$ buying from Chinese Ebay seller's for years and my success rate is 95%. The times I got scammed was due to me being impatient and ordering an item I couldn't find anywhere else and ignoring the red flags, the other time was a seller I wasn't too familiar with but others have used with success. However he turned scammer the day before I placed my order. Besides those occurrences I stick to "my circle" of trusted Chinese Ebay sellers. They've never led me wrong. I will continue to use them.
    I've even started saving more $$ using Taobao.com last year and have 100% success rate.

Also this thread is an excellent resources if you have questions about a Chinese Ebay seller you're thinking about using:
    China Ebay Seller Check

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  7. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Picked up MMC PS-02 Liger and TMNT Complete classic 80s toon complete series on DVD set. The only TMNT tv show worth watching.

8. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Picked up XTB Cliffjumper and Hubcap for $94 shipped from bababoo. These codes and the eBay bucks are Lethal lol

• Like Like x 3
  9. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Wrong guy but at least you know your role. Now if you can only follow simple instructions just as well.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  10. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Because it probably serves its intended purpose as is. They're probably trying to draw more business to their everyday sales rather than major ticket items, and who's going to complain about 'only' receiving a free $100 off for no reason? And if you regularly offer huge discounts on major purchases, it probably works against you, because why make a major purchase any old time when you can just wait for a flash sale and save several hundred dollars for no reason? I think the point of the sales is to introduce or encourage more people to use eBay for more basic purchases instead of them going straight to Amazon for it.

11. LarELar

LarELar Well-Known Member

I think I got 'rogued' for the first time in 2018 during yesterday's flash sale, despite spending an amount this year that's probably significantly higher than I'd care to admit (which is why I'm not planning on tallying it anytime soon). This morning I was thinking, "I've had a 100% savings rate in $$, during the years prior to my start of TF collecting as an adult." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

You maybe correct, but they give other countries higher max caps. The one time use can be negated by having multiple accounts, but it would be nice to every so often to have (for example a $200 or $300 max cap) a higher max cap. These Ebay flash sales are like Macy's monthly one day sales, and hopefully continue. I am also guessing it is a small minority (all the various collectors comunties), taking the best advantage of these sales.

13. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Try it out, try it out man

My advice would be to filter by continent to "North America" (or your continent of residence) and read the feedback as thoroughly as possible. I very rarely do anything below 100% feedback, unless they're a known big seller like Transformersland or what have you and pretty much don't touch any seller from China unless they're on the good sellers list here on the forums. I've only had a few stinkers over the years, and those were mostly just slow shippers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Probably the reason it's capped. What good does it do eBay for people to take advantage of the sale when it probably wipes out their profit? I think the hope is it has a long term benefit. Making it more convenient for people already well aware of eBay to take advantage of the sale probably doesn't really help their cause much.

15. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

While I appreciate TF2005 letting me know about these sales, is there anyway I can find out about them off site? Do they only appear the day of the sale?

16. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron Great Again!

Is there a current promo going on applicable to transformers/toys? I want to get Toro from baba.

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I've tried entering the code I've received, I always get the message that it doesn't apply to the item I'm trying to purchase.

17. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Ebay had a 15% off $25+ flash sale that ran from 5AM PT - 11PM PT yesterday.

18. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron Great Again!

Well, damn. The one time I could have used it, I don't receive the code.

19. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Decided to take a chance with the XTB Cluffjumper for $40 after eBay bucks and sale; figured it wouldn’t be hard to move him at that price if I don’t like it.

20. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    In order to be notified I recommend you Watch (subscribe to the following thread). When you select the watch option make sure to select "receive email notifications" that way your personal email inbox associated with your TFW2005 account will get notifications of postings to that thread. If you have that personal email account synced to your smartphone with notifications turned on then you'll be alerted on your phone.
    eBay flash sale!

• Like Like x 1