eBay finally changing their feedback system!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mineraljane, Jan 30, 2008.

1. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I was just checking my eBay messages and noticed a service message. I usually don't read them as they're typically about fee increases, but I noticed that they are going to implement changes to their feedback system.

Among the changes, they're going to only allow buyers to receive a positive feedback for the transaction. There won't be anymore of that hostage situation where the seller can leave a negative for the buyer out of mere retribution! This seriously makes me happy. I know a lot of you folks will be too after seeing some of the threads in the eBay sub-forum.

Apparently this is all starting in February!

All of the changes pasted below:

Feedback Changes
    The eBay Feedback system was designed to provide a simple, honest, accurate record of member experiences. Focusing on customer service includes doing everything we can to grow customer confidence in our sellers.

-Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.
    -Positive repeat customer Feedback will count (up to 1 Feedback from the same buyer per week.)
    -Feedback more than 12-months old won't count towards your Feedback percentage.
    -When a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) process the negative or neutral Feedback they have left for that transaction will be removed.
    -When a member is suspended, all their negative and neutral Feedback will be removed.
    -Buyers must wait 3 days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback for sellers with an established track record, to encourage communication.
    -All Feedback must be left within 60 days (compared to 90 days today) of listing end to encourage timely Feedback and discourage abuse.
    -Buyers will be held more accountable when sellers report an unpaid item or commit other policy violations.

2. ROCK_LEE

ROCK_LEE Well-Known Member

i'm sure most ebay users will be happy with this, but alota sellers like me will not. Ebay goes through the greatest lengths to protect its buyers and make them feel safe so that they will buy more things and drive up prices for ebay. However its the sellers that pays the fees and are on the losing end of every claim. Sellers have a right to leave feedback of their choice. All ebay strives to do these days is to do everything to please its buyers for its own benefit.

3. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Yeah, I do a bit of both and definitely see where you're coming from. Luckily I've not had a bad experience as a seller, but definitely have as a buyer. In none of those instances did I leave a negative for fear of a reprisal.

I suppose no system is perfect, but I agree that most users will be happy with this change.

4. lookinglasself

lookinglasself 1.21 Jigowatts

Agreed. If you get screwed by a buyer, it should be your right to leave him a big fat negative.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    So if I get screwed by another buyer stringing me along for weeks over paying me, then giving me a negative when I finally get fed up of waiting for him to get his ass in gear and file a non-paying bidder dispute, I won't be able to let other sellers know what an awful eBayer he was? Cretinous.
    That's going to get abused SO badly by dodgy sellers and buyers alike.
    It already does.
    And what the hell? Negs and neutrals removed when someone is suspended? What a stupid idea! I was under the impression that feedback was supposed to show an eBayer's past record; without the negs, everyone will look like a damn saint.
    GOOD. It's about bloody time too.

6. SSJ Rodimus

SSJ Rodimus Just 'Ownz' Here Veteran

Ebay:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'm guessing what they meant was that if a person gets suspended, any and all negatives and neutrals that they left for others as feedback, will be removed. At least, that's how it should be.

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Wow, there are some AWFUL ideas in here.

1) Repeat feedback is going to get abused by dishonest sellers with shill accounts. Scammers are dancing in the streets after this announcement.
    2) No buyer feedback? What are they thinking? Buyers cause problems too.
    3) I used to use ebay a lot, but rarely do anymore, maybe only once or twice a year for high dollar items I'm selling. Therefore, I have a high feedback rating (well, several hundred feedback with 99.9% positive). That instills confidence in any buyers. Now my feedback score is going to drop to less than 5, and have a direct impact on what my auctions sell for, because people won't trust me as much with such a low feedback score.

I'm done with ebay at this point. Their insistence that the buyer is king has made them do outlandish things in the past, but this is the last straw.

8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:

My thoughts exactly.

9. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Current Feedback was moronic... It was either all hugs and kisses or it was mutual flaming negative.

There was no situation I could give a seller negative without getting Negative in return as a buyer. This lead to severly inflated Feedbacks IMHO because NEGATIVE feedbacks would have for the most time ust be not submitted out of fear of retribution.

I am not sure this new process will work better but it sounds like they are going to work harder to resolve issues and hold people accountable. So Feedback won't be used as a result of 'I paid 40$ shipping and he wrapped it in dirty diapers' or 'I didn't read the description and got the item and it wasn;t what I wanted' but the result of did the transaction complete or not.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The last 5 sellers I bought from I left them all positive feedback and haven't recieved any feedback in resturn. :( 

11. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

I have a feeling that this is not going to go well with most sellers.

12. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. Ebay has found a way to make their service suck alot more.

YAY Ebay!

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Some of those changes aren't bad - some of them are outright stupid.

14. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    hmm, maybe our junkion system isn't too bad after all. Maybe I'll give it another try.

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, saw this email a couple of days ago... can't say that I like most of it as a seller.

So, from now on, I'm no longer going to have the option to let other sellers know that a buyer whom didn't follow through with a transaction or what not isn't trust worthy? Very stupid. A buyer can screw a seller over as much as a seller can screw over a buyer.

That's a crock and I totally see that getting abused by dishonest sellers too...

So, basically, my feedback that I've worked so hard to maintain isn't going to be worth shit anymore? I mean, I'm only at 224, but it took me awhile to get there (100% positive too) and now it's going to drop if I don't sell regularly... very very stupid...

Umm... isn't that the way it works already?

I hope they mean negative and neutral feedback left for others because that's remarkably stupid otherwise... it means all you'd have to do is get supspended to have a clean slate again... f-ing stupid...

Huh? Most people communicate anyways, but whatever... so buyers get no negs allowed an sellers get a 'three day grace period'?

This sounds good to me I guess.

As damned well they should be...

16. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I imagine Ebay's going to get some customer complaints about some of these changes. Why bother selling on there anymore?

17. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This is how I take this as well. I imagine they are referring to the feedback left by these users.

This is what bothered me the most. I would have left a few negatives for sure, but with the fear of the "pay-back" I chose to leave no feedback. That kind of defeated the whole purpose of feedback.

This is the part of the whole system that bothers me. I can't stand when I leave feedback and get nothing in return. I used to go back and follow-up on these comments by adding something like "Seller would not return/leave feedback", so it would show up below my feedback comments -- at least that way others would be aware of the way they do business. I can't seem to do that anymore (or have forgotten how to do it).

Along with the nice fee increases, the most disturbing announcement I read was this:

So as a seller... you sell item A to buyer. Buyer pays you by paypal right away. You ship out item A to buyer right away. Paypal holds your payment for up to 21 days???? What the hell? I know it is "a small number of these transactions... but how do we know what they consider high risk??

18. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks eBay. When I finally started using you to clean out my collection, you go and do this. No negative feedback for deadbeat buyers? And all the positive feedback I have goes bye-bye if I don't sell anything for a while?

You've turned me from a sometimes seller to someone who's considering finding other options. Looks like the only way to not get completely screwed as a seller is to use BIN and force immediate payment. But then you have to use PayPal, which the buyer can file a complaint with that will ALWAYS pay them back, regardless of how the transaction actually went.

Basically, I'm screwed if I try to use eBay to sell. Way to go eBay!

19. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

so that one stupid negative i got over 2 years ago from someone who requested surface mail shipping from canada to australia and then complained about a slow ship time will be gone? sweet!

20. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

-Feedback more than 12-months old won't count towards your Feedback percentage.

So your feedback score will still be there, but the % will be from only the last 12 months? Thats how it sounds to me, and thats noot to bad, but no negs for buyers must be a mistake. It can't be true.:crazy: 

I have to say, the system before sucked for buyers, but this one may be even worse for sellers.

My biggest gripe with ebay was that sellers could give a negative feedback in response to getting a negative, even if the buyer did nothing wrong.

There have been several times I should have left negative feedback, but diddn't because I don't want to jeapordise my 100% positive score.