Ebay Etiquite question!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kronos, Oct 20, 2007.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    I am bidding on several items from the same seller. He charges 8.99 per item to ship (though he offers a $2 discount for additional item). Is it wrong for me to request actual shipping costs? I went to USPS and did a postage check for a package weighing 5 pounds and it came to under $9. He would charge $29.95 for shipping. Thats just craziness to pay $20 more for shipping. And their is no special shipping. He ships stardard priority flat rate box price. I sent him an email to check on shipping. But was that rude or out of place? I know that over charging for shipping is against ebay rules.

2. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

It never hurts to ask.

3. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

He's probably milking the auction by making a profit on shiping as well. Even though packing materials cost money too, that doesn't justify that price.

You can either deal with the shiping costs or pass up on this auction.

I find it outrageous when a US seller charges $30-40 for mailing a Masterpiece, when clearly it's only $25 at most. Sellers gouging on shipping costs are scum.

4. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Well if he dosent drop shipping I will pull my bids back! He has decent feedback, but no return shoppers (at least as far as i can see). I really want the items hes selling, so I hope he dosent screw me!

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If he has laid out his shipping costs up front and you don't agree with them, don't bid. Simple as that. If you bid on that item, you are agreeing to pay the bid price, plus the listed shipping charges.

There are people out to make cash from the shipping costs. I choose not to buy from these people, unless I really want the item and am willing to pay the inflated costs.

This is how I see it anyways.

6. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

I don't know the size of the items you are bidding on, but if they will have to ship in a box larger than a cubic foot, Priority will be a lot more expensive than it used to be regardless of the weight.

7. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:

Yep, took that into consideration as well! All 4 items will fit into a standard box!

8. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

^^ You could always suggest nicely that he pack all the items in a flat-rate box. I have done that for heavier electrical parts that I sold. It really does make it noticeably cheaper.

When I am selling multiple items to a single buyer, I always come out of pocket a little on shipping, just to let the buyer know that I appreciate the business.

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I had a seller from this board try and charge me $16 for 3 small pvcs, she was mad because he stuff went so cheap and tried to milk more money and threaten with negitive feedback.

10. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    You can't pull your bid just because you don't like the shipping options that you didn't check on before you bid. You'll be the one penalized for ducking out of the bidding contract.

As an occasional seller myself, I always put the shipping terms in the auction, and usually wind up undercharging for the shipping. But then I'm not one who minds digging into the profit a few dollars as long as the item is shipped well. The only problem I've ever had was with one bidder who bid despite not liking my refusal to send a delicate item Media Mail, who *then* decided he wasn't going to pay until I changed my mind. I dumped his ass and found a buyer who valued the item enough to pay the $5 shipping.

--Moony

11. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

well it is not fair, but when you're buying on ebay always check the price on shipping. Estimated if the price seems right if its 2-4 dollars more, and if I want the item I don't care. Always check everything before bidding.

12. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Well I sent him an email and he replied back! He will do the discounted shipping if I win. And I wouldnt have pulled my bids. I mean hell the items are dirt cheap as is!

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You already now the shipping cost and what he's charging. If you think he's charging $20 too much, then bid $20 less than you're willing to pay. That way in the end, you still pay what you think is fair and the actual shipping.

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    That's pretty cool of him. :) 

--Moony